Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Awesome, so "technically" you don't know what you are talking about.

Maybe YOU should stop jumping to conclusions, especially when it seems everything you know about L.A. you learned from your Grandma.
LOL the fewer people like that in this city the better. Bring on the illegal immigrants, keep the inbred racists out! (not that I actually approve of illegal immigration).

TBH though, it seems like most of my Mexican neighbors are legal citizens and are actually for the most part pretty Americanized - I came from a city that has just as much of an illegal immigration problem as LA (proportionally, obviously on a much smaller scale) and while it is not possible to tell just from looking or hearing a person whether they are illegal immigrants or not, there are a lot of tell-tale signs I just don't see much of in Hollywood. It's probably much worse in Pico-Union or Boyle Heights but still illegal immigration is not something at the forefront of my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Agree that LA is not very tourist-friendly - especially for those that do no research before visiting.
Low-information tourists encounter difficulties wherever they alight. It ain't just an L.A. thing.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
LA just isn't a tourist town in my opinion though. I mean not for the typical sites.

Hollywood Highland is no substitute for Times Square. Universal Studios Hollywood is more of a local attraction, I don't know who would fly from across the country to go there? The one in Florida is a lot bigger and better.

Rodeo Drive is pretty but it's really nothing in comparison to 5th avenue and a just a notch above any high end district in most major cities. In reality, I found Newberry St. in Boston to be much more fancy.

So all in all, the touristy spots are just a drag and nothing that special. What makes LA the best is the wacky, energetic vibe the city has, the eclectic shops, the people, the eats, the nightlife and the shopping. Stuff you have to get to know in LA after months of living here.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Yeah, I mean it was GREAT when we had the covenants against selling homes to non-White people. (The segregated water fountains were great too.)

Simply paradise...
I have heard about restrictive housing covenants in the 50's, but never heard about segregated water fountains. They didn't even have those in PA where I grew up.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:05 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You mean, back when the white people controlled what the "others" were doing, and where they could live? That 1950's? Gee, what a paradise.
The city is now ravaged by illegal immigration. If white people were controlling things, they didn't do a good job, did they?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The city is now ravaged by illegal immigration. If white people were controlling things, they didn't do a good job, did they?
White elites trying to control non-whites does not a "good job" make. You may have a more sympathetic audience in stormfront.org
Enjoy!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,398 times
I actually like the way visitor areas work in LA, but I have plenty of information. LA doesn't really have tourist ghettoes, like Waikiki or Fishermen's Wharf in San Francisco or Times Square in New York. LA has lots of great places to visit that are mixed in to their neighborhoods, in Pasadena, Downtown LA, the Fairfax etc. To me it's a much richer experience than being sequestered in a disneyland, but it does take more work to understand it.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:23 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
What on earth does "ravaged" mean? That illegal immigrants are running around burning down storefronts and looting private residences? If anything they are just sitting in front of Home Depot looking to the do some fixing-up on your home and live fairly horrible lives (that may be exponentially better than what they left behind).

And how then do you explain the lower crime rate in the city that just so happened to coincide with a rise in illegal immigration?

Again, illegal immigration is a problem that Los Angeles has - but it in no way makes it less of an amazing place to live. Overall the outside immigration from all over the world to Los Angeles is what I think makes it the best city in the country.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 PM

28 posts, read 49,593 times
You have to take your time and get to know LA. At first it can really appear like a giant ****hole. And if you are a tourist looking for some amazing everlasting memories, you might be underwhelmed. But it has a lot to offer. Tons of places to eat. Many urban parks. Many suburban parks. Griffith park, santa monica mountains. A couple of nice museums. Tons of people living together and getting along for the most part. It is really quite diverse here. The people are quite friendly, even on the west side. I make lots of conversations with random strangers even though I'm a bit anti social.

You have lots of very affluent areas and nice beaches. A celebrity culture. You can watch the news for entertainment. A lot of people are into photography and filim. Nobody is hung up about how LA is perceived here. Every is busy doing whatever it is they are doing. If you like L.A, cool. If you don't whatever. Ya traffic can be a *****. Choppers flying around at night can be a bit annoying. Some neighborhoods are not good. But all in all its pretty nice. How you rank a city depends on what value you assign to the criteria. I love the SF Bay Area and L.A equally, even though they are quite different.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongtheDogs View Post
It's always noticeably left out of "best of" lists that other major cities are in. Even in the public policy polling, it was one of only three cities that have a negative view outweigh the positive...only in front of Detroit and Oakland. Is there a legitimate reason or is it just people being ignorant?

Most-liked cities: Seattle and Portland tops, Detroit dead last (poll) | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

because of the pollution in the Los Angeles MSA & CSA and the mere fact that white caucasian don't
dominate to the same extent as other top American Cities.

Latino's and Asian play a much larger role in Los Angeles as opposed to other top American Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles