Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
LA needs a good PR campaign. Instead we get a lot of northeastern transplant writers from NYC or Boston come live here and write about how much they hate LA. They're just here for the movie industry and wish LA could be more like NYC.
This.

Reading an article in the NYT about Los Angeles is comedy gold. Those guys are clueless about anything west of the Hudson (and pretty much how to run a respectable newspaper).

And I agree - one thing I love about Los Angeles is that the residents feel little need to brag and boast about being "the greatest city".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
This.

Reading an article in the NYT about Los Angeles is comedy gold. Those guys are clueless about anything west of the Hudson (and pretty much how to run a respectable newspaper).

And I agree - one thing I love about Los Angeles is that the residents feel little need to brag and boast about being "the greatest city".
Yeah where are the movies that glorify LA? How come Hollywood doesn't have any directors that really showcase it's diverse outlook and amazing noir elements.

The closest director that comes to mind is Michael Mann. The movie Drive did a good job too.

Overall, LA has way better cinematic beauty to it than NYC. All NYC is good for now is a film location for obnoxious rom coms. I cannot get into a NYC crime crooked cop movie anymore knowing Manhattan is one of the safest area in the country and it looks like Disneyland now.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:57 PM

193 posts, read 465,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
This.

hahaha so true.. I always feel like NYT's LA articles read like some anthropologist writing about some tribe that lost contact with the rest of the world for a thousand years. Also, even when they have something good to say, they ALWAYS have to throw in some insults too-- however I kind of want it to remain that way because it is quite entertaining..

Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
hahaha so true.. I always feel like NYT's LA articles read like some anthropologist writing about some tribe that lost contact with the rest of the world for a thousand years.
They spew that dreck about the whole state. But that's OK - If CA must be seen as the tribe that leaves the rest of the world behind, so be it. I'll gladly ride that ship.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
LA needs a good PR campaign. Instead we get a lot of northeastern transplant writers from NYC or Boston come live here and write about how much they hate LA. They're just here for the movie industry and wish LA could be more like NYC.

Los Angeles is a rich city that is extremely noir in certain areas (more so than NYC) and suburban All american happy land. It's a huge metropolis and a family oriented suburb all rolled into one.

NYC has a huge propaganda campaign behind it pumping you full of NYC is the best promotional material. I mean my god how many times are we going to have watch a movie about directors getting off to NYC? They worship NYC. Yet, to me it's a great city for anyone who wants to be a pompous competitive jerk.

LA is the epitome of cool. It really doesn't care who knows it's America's best city. It doesn't brag about itself and knows that it's image is skewed but would rather relax than fight it.
I love NYC. I love it. But I would not want LA to be like New York. LA has its own vibe, its own feel, it is its own city. And I was in both cities this summer, but I like both for what they each bring.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
Agree about Drive. Actually want to buy that movie just for its portrayal of LA.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 PM
PDF

Drive is a great movie. The thing is, each filmmaker has their own vision of what Los Angeles is. For movies that glorify LA, look at the recent Seven Psychopaths. They did as great job filming LA in a unique way. Also (500) Days of Summer for downtown LA.

But LA looks awesome on film.

Quote:
I cannot get into a NYC crime crooked cop movie anymore knowing Manhattan is one of the safest area in the country and it looks like Disneyland now.
That comment really doesn't make any sense at all.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:05 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
What I meant was that after being in manhattan every month while I lived in Boston I found that the island was relatively safe and seeing films trying to make it out to be this battle ground between cops and bad guys doesn't really seem all that accurate.

In other words, lower manhattan has been really gentrified it felt like a giant tourist attraction.

Then again they're still making movies about LA being this war zone that's alien to the rest of the country.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 PM
PDF

Well have you looked at the areas of Manhattan that these films are portraying? It's just like when LA is portrayed that way, like how End of Watch focused on South Central.

Manhattan is safe, but it's far from Disneyland.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
My grandma is Hispanic, not white. The reason LA sucks is because too many people live there now due to immigration, particularly illegal immigration. People are so quick to turn everything into a race issue these days. Too many people also includes all the white folks from the eastern block that live in LA too.
Too many people in a big city.. News at 10..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles