Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,376 times

Advertisements

Do you work for LA City Bull?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM

71 posts, read 372,626 times
You really need your own transportation in LA. I'd suggest a cheap car or a motorcycle. As for groceries, you can probably order them online and have them delivered for a small fee here in LA. I do it all the time and it's fantastic. No more lugging groceries in and the online services do a good job of choosing good quality products for you. Albertsons and Vons both deliver here. So a motorcycle shouldn't be a problem. Public transportation is just too iffy to rely upon, especially if you have to change work locations every few months and also if you want to go out at night but can't afford to live in the middle of a hot spot. If you have $1300/mon to spend, however, you can easily find a one bedroom or a studio to suit your needs. Check out craigs list to get an idea of rental rates here. Mid-Wilshire to the west side and Santa Monica are the most money and also the most things to do for a young person. However, if you have transportation you don't have to actually live there to go there for entertainment. I have a bias to the beach cities - Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan - and that's a great place for a young person to live with lots to do and lots of potential friends to be made. A one bedroom in Redondo, and certainly a studio, is really doable. And a roommate in a more expensive place can be even better if you find the right roommate. If you go ahead and get a cheap transp car or a motorcycle then you're ready for anything. Without it though...I had a period where I couldn't drive to work and to take public transportation would have required me to take a cab to a train station to another train station to a third train station to a bus to another bus to get to my office for a total of more than two hours one way. And that was just impossible. Where is the academy? That should help us help you figure this out.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,376 times
Thanks, I can get the address of the academy in a bit. I would definitely like to live somewhere that is near a busy area. By busy I mean nightlife, restaurants, etc. Might even be better to live somewhere cheap first. Then after the academy, I will most likely know somewhere that I could room with. That way we could have a nicer place, and I will be making more money. Wouldn't be bad at all to room with a firefighter if he is on a different shift color. We would work opposite days.

Also, I have a car, but I'm worried about insurrance. I heard it is A LOT more over there. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally. It's a sedan which is cheaper, but it's still a newer sports car so I would need(well want) full coverage.

I have my stuff confirmed for the next month now. I will be there Feb 11. Mock interview Feb 12, interview Feb 13 and background interview right after. Then staying an extra couple days.

Going to be a busy week though. Taking a bus to Chicago(from Milwaukee), then a train to St Louis for a physical fire dept test. Then I'm spending the night, testing at 8:30AM and going to straight to the airport to fly to LA. Then eventually back to Milwaukee on Feb 16. All for a job that I might not get. haha

Old 02-15-2009, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,533 times
anybody know how long it takes to get the results from lafd written test? i took it about 3 weeks ago and havent received anything yet..

Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,273,111 times
Get yourself a motorcycle and learn to ride before you arrive.
This will sort most of your transport problems as you will need to be availiable 24/7 to get to your shifts and overtime.
I`d sell the car and get a pick-up with a hard top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles