Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Nice, well maintained housing stock in many parts of South LA, commercial Blvd.'s could use some sprucing up, etc.

Jefferson Park is really nice and they are adjacent to the Expo Line as well. And I agree that the ongoing improvements to USC (including Univ. Village) will bode well for areas surrounding campus such as West Adams.

Yeah it was weird...I drove past some neighborhoods that could pass for some westside neighborhoods.

Its sad because some neighborhoods, even in the best parts of South LA, get overlooked for historical reasons. Like, Ladera Heights could obviously support a Trader Joes, but beacuase of skin pigimitation we are presposed to writing off particular neighborhoods. Parts of Mid City remind of this too. Super nice houses--designed by the most famous architects and have wealthy families but will not get play becuase of the reputation of the neighborhood. Sad, but I think it can change and I am optimistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
City West Downtown

East Hollywood and Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood

Pico BTW Robertson and La Brea

Venice BLVD in Mar Vista and Palms

Lincoln Blvd in Venice

Santa Monica Blvd in West LA

Downtown Van Nuys
East Hollywood.

The areas in Venice or nearby won't undergo further gentrification. Venice is too far from everything, and it does not have train service (new train going to Santa Monica). I'm in Los Angeles this week, and I notice the areas with gentrification tend to be CENTRAL locations with close access to major employers. These areas get entertainment options opening up like restaurants, bars, etc. And of course new major retail.

The only beach cities with major employment are Santa Monica and Culver City. There's really nothing in Venice, Marina, or Playa del Rey. Venice has a lot of beautiful single family homes (ditto Mar Vista) so they will never allow the area to get rezoned for major development.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:25 AM

360 posts, read 712,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
East Hollywood.

The areas in Venice or nearby won't undergo further gentrification. Venice is too far from everything, and it does not have train service (new train going to Santa Monica). I'm in Los Angeles this week, and I notice the areas with gentrification tend to be CENTRAL locations with close access to major employers. These areas get entertainment options opening up like restaurants, bars, etc. And of course new major retail.

The only beach cities with major employment are Santa Monica and Culver City. There's really nothing in Venice, Marina, or Playa del Rey. Venice has a lot of beautiful single family homes (ditto Mar Vista) so they will never allow the area to get rezoned for major development.
Not sure where you got your information, but it's about 10 years outdated. Santa Monica is losing employment left and right to Playa del Rey and Marina del Rey. Westchester and Mar Vista's home values are one of the hottest residential real estate spots now. Twitter, Snapchat and Google all opened up offices in Venice within the past 5 years.

No matter what hollywood, downtown, or other areas gentrify, people will always want to live near the beach.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
Not sure where you got your information, but it's about 10 years outdated. Santa Monica is losing employment left and right to Playa del Rey and Marina del Rey. Westchester and Mar Vista's home values are one of the hottest residential real estate spots now. Twitter, Snapchat and Google all opened up offices in Venice within the past 5 years.

No matter what hollywood, downtown, or other areas gentrify, people will always want to live near the beach.
Probably from when I lived in 10 years ago (I go back and forth between NYC and LA).

Those offices in Venice do not compare to the office space you have for tech and other sorts of companies in other parts of LA, particularly central LA.

Venice is too far away from everything. Suppose you don't work at those Google and Twitter offices. You're going to have to go pretty far from work.

I know people have biases towards their favorite parts of town, but the massive real estate development of the interior parts of LA simply isn't happening in the beach cities.

New clubs and restaurants open downtown a lot more than they do in the beach. Hollywood and Weho have a lot more fun stuff.

Of course there will always be retirees, vacationers, people who want a second beachfront home, etc coming to the beach cities but are they the hottest part of LA? No.

And Santa Monica and Culver City at least have train lines. Real estate development takes off big where you have lots of public transportation. Look at downtown. Venice doesn't have that either.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:28 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
East Hollywood.

I agree. What I posted earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
My very simplified rules for LA-style gentrification:

The area has to be relatively affordable and:
  • Be urban in some way and/or
  • Have access to Metro Rail (not Metrolink)
With that in mind, I would say Lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights/ELA, Chinatown, East Hollywood, and Leimert Park are next on the gentrification list.
This is why I think areas like Tujunga, Pacoima, La Puente, and Montebello won't be hipster-gentrified anytime soon.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM

496 posts, read 574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Yeah it was weird...I drove past some neighborhoods that could pass for some westside neighborhoods.

Its sad because some neighborhoods, even in the best parts of South LA, get overlooked for historical reasons. Like, Ladera Heights could obviously support a Trader Joes, but beacuase of skin pigimitation we are presposed to writing off particular neighborhoods. Parts of Mid City remind of this too. Super nice houses--designed by the most famous architects and have wealthy families but will not get play becuase of the reputation of the neighborhood. Sad, but I think it can change and I am optimistic.
you consider Ladera Heights to be South LA??? (maybe i read that wrong)

ive lived here all my life and have never heard that. Now I have heard Baldwin Hills/View Park being lumped into the huge South LA neighorhood, but never Ladera...

in fact the LA times designates Ladera Heights as "westside" neighborhood given the geographics.

Ladera Heights Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

*UNLESS*

you are referring to the part of ladera (that many long time residents call old Ladera) that is EAST of la cienga (some of that is now called La tijera Village) BUT the ladera heights community that is WEST of la cienga is certainly not referred to as South LA....(and tbh even denoted old ladera as South is pushing it)....

Last edited by erin_elise_; 01-12-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 09:52 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Rents Already Soaring Along LA's Unopened Expo Line - Curbed LA

Old 03-18-2016, 10:28 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Mcarthur park will be one of the nicest neighborhoods in LA within 10-15 years. Downtown can't go east an and k town is knocking on the west. Done deal.

Also agree with east Hollywood.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:57 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
East Hollywood.

The only beach cities with major employment are Santa Monica and Culver City. t.
Oh, yes, some of my favorite beaches are in culver city...lol...

Old 03-19-2016, 10:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:

You are very incorrect. The job growth from LAX north is what has caused rents from Torrance/Gardena to North Ridge and sales prices in places like Inglewood to skyrocket. Tons of tech companies in Playa Vista, MDR, and Venice, hence the term "Silicon Beach".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles