Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times

Advertisements

true Pay2win. It feels good to vent sometimes

Old 05-11-2016, 03:53 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
true Pay2win. It feels good to vent sometimes
I understand. But, are you aware of the damage done by perpetuating harmful myths?

Old 05-11-2016, 04:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I understand. But, are you aware of the damage done by perpetuating harmful myths?
Myths like the ones I see on C-D: e.g. the homeless do not migrate?

Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Maybe a good start would be to follow some of the tactics of Rudy Guiliani former mayor of NYC

Giuliani: De Blasio

He practiced tough love with the homeless and was against allowing them to sleep and defecate on the streets .
NYC also housed more homeless people in SHELTERS than LA did. NYC in those days had multiple welfare programs that would pay rent. One was Section 8. Homeless people who had HIV automatically got placed into welfare motels, and got rental vouchers for apartments. So while Giuliani cracked down on people sleeping outside, NYC did provide places for them to go.

Now that gentrification has gotten rid of a lot of low income housing where landlords would take welfare programs, homelessness is up and so now the city is having more housing and more affordable housing.

But I want to be clear. I was living in NYC at the time and Giuliani did not arrest all the HOMELESS out of NYC. The courts did not block him because they HAD places to go (welfare vouchers that paid for apartments for them, welfare motels/SROs).

Many of the homeless are mentally or physically ill. Once they get help with applying for SSI, they can then get Section 8 or some sort of rental assistance program. But there needs to be a place for them to go.

For the homeless that are physically able, barriers to employment have to be addressed. If it's lack of education, then they need to go back to school and get a GED and perhaps education beyond that.

If addiction is why some people are homeless, they need treatment for addiction. Sadly med-cal before Obama care only covered people who were under 21 or over 65. Meaning many people got sick, crazy, or went totally drug addict/alcoholic because they could not obtain medical coverage in California then.

People who claim to be inconvenienced by the horrors of homelessness are getting exactly what they deserve for the homeless. Address the issues causing them to become homeless in the first place and you won't have a problem to begin with.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:35 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
How dare you question the omnipotent one who has enlightened us all with all his "facts!"

Old 05-11-2016, 04:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Stop feeding them and they will go away.

Never give money to the homeless. The government should stop as well.

We tell people to not feed the animals so they won't get used to getting free food. The same should be done with the homeless.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:54 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
How dare you question the omnipotent one who has enlightened us all with all his "facts!"
Except that I already addressed this with statistical studies showing that very few homeless migrate to places other than the city/town where they were last employed and formally housed.

So why would you bring it up again as if it isn't true?
Quote:
Myth: Setting up services for homeless people will cause homeless people from all around to migrate to a city.
Fact: Studies have shown that homeless people do not migrate for services. To the extent they do move to new areas, it is because they are searching for work, have family in the area, or other reasons not related to services.
A recent study found that 75% of homeless people are still living in the city in which they became homeless.2
http://www.ashevillenc.gov/Portals/0...nd%20Facts.pdf
I can provide more studies and references. Or you can eat crow and let it go now. Your choice.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

We tell people to not feed the animals so they won't get used to getting free food. The same should be done with the homeless.
And I think all you Sunday School dropouts are the real millstones around our necks.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

What would you do if your lost your job? If you got laid off? I bet you'd apply for unemployment and med-cal. So assistance for you is okay, but for others it's not?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:51 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Steve Lopez has some pretty good suggestions.

"This is my neighborhood, home of the homeless, like so many other Los Angeles County neighborhoods.

The numbers are up again, as they have been every year since 2013. In the latest tally, 47,000 people don't have homes. About 28,000 of them are in the city of Los Angeles, an 11% increase over last year.

Why the rise?

Low wages. Ridiculous housing prices. Untreated mental illness. All the usual stuff.

So what do we do?

I don't have all the answers, but I've got five thoughts to share...."

Five ways to end homelessness in L.A. - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles