Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times

Advertisements

I think there's a few reasons why there are so many negatives threads on LA...

-The area can be very checkered. There are nice parts of town, and then 10 minutes away, or literally a few blocks away, it can feel like you're in a completely different neighborhood.

-Whether or not you're in the housing game is obviously huge.

-Commute time, lack of commute.

-Whether you have kids. If I had kids looking for a decent school, I'd obviously feel different than I do now.

Most people here though are in a really good mood. Go out to a mall or beach or something, most people are pretty happy. Esp considering the traffic, high cost of living, and everything else. I'm kind of suprised it's held up so well. But the real LA is not like this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 PM

22 posts, read 80,517 times
I live in Thousand Oaks. CA. Our family and I like it so much.
The traffic is not bad at all and it is much cooler than LA. In addition, it is so close to the beaches and mountains.

We absolutely love TO.CA !!!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 18,392 times
Default re: I LOVE LA!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the WEATHER, THE VIEWS, THE PROXIMITY TO ALL THINGS GREAT TO DO...I.E: BEACH, OCEAN, SURFING, WHALES AND DOLPHINS AND EVEN SHARKS!! MOUNTAINS FOR SNOWBOARDING, SKIING, FUN....HIKING OUT MY DOOR!!

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE OTHER THAN BAD TRAFFIC AND OVERPRICED REAL ESTATE, PLUS A FEW THOUSAND HORRIBLE DRIVERS AND THE "TOO MUCH MONEY, TOO LITTLE TASTE" SYNDROME PEOPLE AND THE "PLASTIC FANTASTICS"

THERE BEAUTIFUL AND FREAKY... HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE!

I PERSONALLY LOVE LA, BUT LIKE A RELATIONSHIP YOU TAKE THE GOOD, WITH THE BAD!!

PEACE,
KAT

Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Smile You are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngcinci View Post
I live in Thousand Oaks. CA. Our family and I like it so much.
The traffic is not bad at all and it is much cooler than LA. In addition, it is so close to the beaches and mountains.

We absolutely love TO.CA !!!
Isn't it great!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 AM

95 posts, read 380,529 times
I am SO glad there were folks who LOVE LA who posted replies! I am thinking of moving down there in about 3 yrs, and mostly all I hear is bad, but I do know some folks who have moved from Montana to Orange County and LOVE it! I think it may be for me, as the weather and all the variety of people will be such a nice change from snow, ice, wildfires polluting the "Big Sky" every summer, and the serious lack of people here! Cost of living here is high, and while not as high as down there, at least LA has far more job opportunities than MOntana, in order to pay for that cost of living. The beach, the humidity, the energy you get from millions of people LIVING! Of course, the ugly side is in every city, large or small. We have homeless people here, too, who freeze to death in the winter, so it isn't all roses and blue sky here! Looking forward to hearing more of the positives of LA, especially Woodland Hills area???? And NW of the city.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
[SIZE=3]With all due respect, until Thousand Oaks (or anyplace else, for that matter) can supply me with what Los Angeles does, I’ll stay right here. The Gold Line enables me to live a car-free lifestyle which includes Laker games, Chinatown eats (that includes Phillipe and Ocean Seafood), Hollywood premieres at the Egyptian, martinis at Musso and Franks, Cobb salads at the Pig and Whistle, Farmers’ Markets in Highland Park and South Pasadena, and Union Station. The latter grants me passage to the OC where I feel compelled to console my isolated suburbanite friends.[/SIZE]

Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,804 times
Angry No, it's a horrible place to live

I've lived in various parts of Los Angeles Co. for 10 yrs, for my wife's career. Sure it's great weather year 'round, but, the traffic is the worst in the nation. My commute: 15 miles & over 1 hour ONE WAY! The people are shallow, selfish, greedy, very inconsiderate & very arrogant. Add to that the crime and pollution. I'd rather have nice people than nice weather!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinLA View Post
I've lived in various parts of Los Angeles Co. for 10 yrs, for my wife's career. Sure it's great weather year 'round, but, the traffic is the worst in the nation. My commute: 15 miles & over 1 hour ONE WAY! The people are shallow, selfish, greedy, very inconsiderate & very arrogant. Add to that the crime and pollution. I'd rather have nice people than nice weather!
I see that you have discovered how to use copy / paste

Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
Smile It's not just about the weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinLA View Post
Wow. Are we talking about Los Angeles, California? Perhaps it's because I spend so little time in a car, but that sure doesn't sound like the town that I love.

When Griffith Park burned, I actually gave a damn- it pained me to see it that way because I had spent so much time there. I joined the LA Conservancy because I wanted to help save the old theatres on Broadway (we're getting there - the Million Dollar reopened last week). When Northeast Trees wanted help greening up the City, I responded, etc.

If I lived in some other town, I would do the same, especially if 'stuck' there for awhile.

My two cents.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 AM

14 posts, read 49,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I love LA. There are others who love it here too but the "anti-LA" people are here (on these boards) in full force. You can find other boards with other people who actually like the area.
any pointers
coming out for my yearly vist this fall, plannin on staying on Venice this time

cheers in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles