Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:08 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I said he brings up good points about the shortcomings of the industry itself but his mistake is that he conflates that with LA as a whole.
And then you went on conflate the entire city with Hollywood, putting everything through the lens of the entertainment industry. Less than 5% of Angelenos are in "the industry" but you're going right along with the farce that everything the city is dominated by it in one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
And then you went on conflate the entire city with Hollywood, putting everything through the lens of the entertainment industry. Less than 5% of Angelenos are in "the industry" but you're going right along with the farce that everything the city is dominated by it in one way or another.
Say what? Ok, this is just getting weird. I said that the shadow of the industry looms over the typical glossy parts of town where if you're looking for shallow, you will find it there. My point was that if you're looking for industry hangouts and enclaves you will expect to find all the typical stereotypes. Go east and you'll find the what the OP is looking for that he loves about NYC. I don't know how it was that difficult to follow?

Old 02-16-2016, 03:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How cool can NYC even be?...they don't even have 'medical marijuana' lol.

It's really amazing if you think about it considering how many states have legalized medical marijuana...even Arizona.

Some of our dispensaries even have valet parking .

Maybe this comedian can ponder that next time he's getting grabbing a sandwich at a bodega.

I only say that because pretty much every comedian seems to be a stoner .
Those bodega's probably sell weed under the table though...part of the charm of NYC
NY now has medical marijuana but you cannot smoke it. You have to take it in pills or liquid form. They just made it legal here.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:06 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NY now has medical marijuana but you cannot smoke it. You have to take it in pills or liquid form. They just made it legal here.
That's pretty weak.....

Old 02-16-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I guess it's hard for people in a certain 'world' or industry to look outside their bubble.
There's a lot of people like that even L.A natives though that seem pretty out of touch with the rest of the city and the people that live in other parts of the city.

I'm guessing it's the same in NYC , someone that lives on Fifth avenue and grew up wealthy in NYC is probably unlikely to hangout in rough parts of the Bronx or even rougher parts of Manhattan.
Depending on where you work, live, and go to school there are plenty of New Yorkers who seldom leave their neighborhood or area. So people can have extremely dated perceptions of other parts of the city as things change fast and they may not have seen some parts of the city in many years.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
As much as you think others are just falling all over themselves to defend Los Angeles, you're always falling all over yourself to affirm any and all slights against Los Angeles.

This guy really isn't making any valid points. He conflates "the industry" with the entire city of Los Angeles, and drunken partying with the entire city of New York. He's not just living in a bubble, he's a dullard. He's dressing up fear of change in a 'New York vs Los Angeles' package because his worldview is too narrow to let in anything that challenges him.

He likes New York more than Los Angeles? Great. Why the hell do we need an overlong essay about it?
He thinks New York is all chaos, all the time and Los Angeles is all planned fundays and soccer moms? He's objectively stupid.
He thinks no one in Los Angeles struggles? He's a conceited, privileged little white boy with no care for the real world.

And just FYI, 'the industry' exists in New York. Comedians move to Los Angeles for myriad reasons, but it ain't because there're no casting agents or standup gigs in New York. Comedians in Los Angeles have to go to New York for work all the time and the writer of this "article" has had numerous bit roles in film and television. How did he get those parts? Magic? The truth is that he's not very funny or talented and his choice of city is the best excuse he can come up with.
Agreed. All of the studios, major agencies, and tv networks have NYC offices. In part because the financial sector and advertising are here, so they want to be close to those industries.

Both LA and NYC have shipping, academia, government, k-12 education, real estate, tech sector, and finance as major employers. The man is a superficial idiot, plain and simple.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Do all these New Yorkers do is visit their struggling actor friends out in WeHo and get dirty looks from girls they can't pick up at a fancy club and go home to write about how LA is so vapid and lacks culture? That's what 99% of these articles are all about; conflating the industry with LA. Let me write about the cut ya at your knees type of douchery on Wall Street and then say all of NYC sucks, it's money driven and heartless.
There are people from LA who just visit Midtown Manhattan, and declare all NYC Midtown (nothing is further than the truth). To me that shows you the failures of those kinds of tourists experiences.

I actually spent several years in a row spending my fall/winter months in LA, so I know the city well. I was back in Jan for the first time in 10 years, and a lot of things had changed. Still since I knew the city well it was easy to go all over the area and not just hang out in Venice Beach or around the Hollywood walk of fame.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:13 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
i think this comment immediately below the article perfectly sums up my reaction:

Quote:
But you can eat veggie burgers, play pinball in a laundromat, hoop at nighttime, and do an 826LA benefit concert in Los Angeles too, no valet needed. And while you're there, you can make a good living and not have to worry about finances if you succeed.

Some people romanticize NYC too much. How much in denial do you have to be to think you can't get great food in L.A. in pretty much any urban area at any hour?
the posters in this thread who are criticizing the article aren't being cheerleaders for los angeles. they're simply pointing out that the author comes across as smug and whiny and makes very narrow assumptions about what nyc offers and what los angeles supposedly does not.

and as others have already mentioned, the article really isn't about los angeles; it's a love letter to nyc (which is totally fine in of itself) and how he doesn't understand why people would leave the city other than for career prospects.

so the title "chris gethard on avoiding los angeles" just seems misplaced. a more appropriate heading would've been, "why i love being a comedian in nyc".

Old 02-16-2016, 03:16 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i think this comment immediately below the article perfectly sums up my reaction:

the posters in this thread who are criticizing the article aren't being cheerleaders for los angeles. they're simply pointing out that the author comes across as smug and whiny and makes very narrow assumptions about what nyc offers and what los angeles supposedly does not.

and as others have already mentioned, the article really isn't about los angeles; it's a love letter to nyc (which is totally fine in of itself) and how he doesn't understand why people would leave the city other than for career prospects.

so the title "chris gethard on avoiding los angeles" just seems misplaced. a more appropriate heading would've been, "why i love being a comedian in nyc".
I feel like this article belongs in the NYC forum not the L.A. one.....

Old 02-16-2016, 03:59 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
Say what? Ok, this is just getting weird. I said that the shadow of the industry looms over the typical glossy parts of town where if you're looking for shallow, you will find it there. My point was that if you're looking for industry hangouts and enclaves you will expect to find all the typical stereotypes. Go east and you'll find the what the OP is looking for that he loves about NYC. I don't know how it was that difficult to follow?
You're making all of Los Angeles out to be the victim of Hollywood. Everything revolves around Hollywood. You're either living "in the shadow" of Hollywood or you're attempting to flee from it, to get to something that's less like Los Angeles. It's utter nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles