Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 05:12 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm quoting The Clash

Many of you probably are familiar with my general disdain for LA mostly based on cost of living, housing and government. I am in a situation where I've gotten offers for a new job here and a new job in the D.C. area, specifically the Maryland suburbs of D.C.

Currently I'm making $80k and supporting my wife and our baby. We are living in Glendale paying $1800/mo for an apartment that is going up to $2200 in May.

Both job offers are about $100k. The job here is a base of $100k with a chance to probably make another 10k in OT and chance to advance to making $200k range eventually (maybe 5 years down the road.

Job in MD is 90K base but bonuses that will make it over 100K. But there might not be as much room to grow in salary beyond 2-4% annual and while bonus is a "guaranteed" percentage of salary I feel like that could go away one day.

Traffic sucks in both places.

Everything else being equal the differences are housing cost and schools. The area of MD has some of the best public schools in the country and a 3-4 bed house can still be had for around $400k. In Burbank area (where local job is) a 2 bed condo is about $450k and houses in good school districts in Burbank or Montrose/La Canada / La Crescenta would be at least $600k-1 million meaning even at $200k income we may never be able to afford a house.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 05:39 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i spoke to a recruiter about a job in DC recently and was seriously considering it. after considering the job and housing in the DC area I decided to end the talks. The weather in DC sucks compared to LA and housing is pretty much just as expensive. to get cheaper housing, you have to live pretty far from the city making commuting as terrible as it here. while schools as a whole are probably better around DC, LA has tons of options. your neighborhood school might not be what you were hoping for, but there are tons of magnet and charter options that you should consider. You do what you gotta do, but moving your family across the country will be no walk in the park.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Well we can't really make a decision for you.

But you do like bike riding, you like the mountains and the weather here allows you to enjoy that most of the year. You would be having long winters and miserably humid summers. So much less bike riding.

I wouldn't live back east (at least not from Boston down to DC) as people are less friendly than they are here and always in a rush. I grew up back there and when I visit it's very noticeable.

I have always found people out here more pleasant and better mannered. That's a big thing for me. But that's just me, I find life is easier with less rude impatient people being the majority.

Also you're just trading one high COL area of another high COL area. If you said I have an offer for 100K in Georgia where COL is lower than that is something to think over.

Do you need a large house? Are you planning on having more kids?

What about your MIL? Have you checked into services in MD vs CA?

I think the only way I would do it is if the area you were looking at had a drastic cut in COL. Even than I would look at why is it so much cheaper. I know two families who moved to TX and moved back to CA.

You can find rentals(even small houses) for less than your rent increase is going to be.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:54 PM

Traffic does suck. I lived in DC area 6 years ago so I'm familiar. The job is in Silver Spring which is inside the beltway where traffic sucks but I would be able to commute by train from Gaithersburg for example where I would be able to afford a house.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Sounds like you should stay.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:26 PM

Thanks, all good points. I think staying for now is the best option. We have been paining over the decision for days but it does seem like not enough positives to make it worth the move

Old 03-24-2016, 06:49 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Yes, I'm quoting The Clash

Many of you probably are familiar with my general disdain for LA mostly based on cost of living, housing and government. I am in a situation where I've gotten offers for a new job here and a new job in the D.C. area, specifically the Maryland suburbs of D.C.

Currently I'm making $80k and supporting my wife and our baby. We are living in Glendale paying $1800/mo for an apartment that is going up to $2200 in May.

Both job offers are about $100k. The job here is a base of $100k with a chance to probably make another 10k in OT and chance to advance to making $200k range eventually (maybe 5 years down the road.

Job in MD is 90K base but bonuses that will make it over 100K. But there might not be as much room to grow in salary beyond 2-4% annual and while bonus is a "guaranteed" percentage of salary I feel like that could go away one day.

Traffic sucks in both places.

Everything else being equal the differences are housing cost and schools. The area of MD has some of the best public schools in the country and a 3-4 bed house can still be had for around $400k. In Burbank area (where local job is) a 2 bed condo is about $450k and houses in good school districts in Burbank or Montrose/La Canada / La Crescenta would be at least $600k-1 million meaning even at $200k income we may never be able to afford a house.

What would you do?
How old are you? im curious.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngtraveler2011 View Post
how old are you? Im curious.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Kudos for the Clash quote....and the job offers.

Well, you already made your decision and it seems like the right call. Higher base salary with more upside. As others have stated, D.C. is pretty damn expensive too...so no real reduction in cost of living.

No fun being in a place you don't care for anymore...but, "The future is unwritten."

The possibilities are endless.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
OP, we can't decide for you. On the other hand, I don't believe I've ever seen one positive thing about Los Angeles in your posts, so why not leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles