Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Harassing small business owners, that's just pathetic. Maybe it's resentment that stems from jealousy.
Yes , there is a strong anti landlord, anti business attitude of resentment in this city.
"The landlords are GREEDY!"
"The business owners are GREEDY!"

We need the government to help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 03:57 PM

387 posts, read 512,367 times
As the OP, i just wanted to state i'm all for the changes gentrification brings. Call me pro-house value but I want to live in an area where i'm surrounded by other professionals in my income level. We can still be a diverse society living amongst each other while renovating neglected neighborhoods in urban cores.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:21 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,588 times
Most of the people complaining are probably renters worried about being priced out who identify strongly with the area despite high crime and other negative aspects. If you're a homeowner, you want to see your property value go up and if you've got more people coming you aren't poor folks just scraping by, it's better for the community.

Obviously, given that the area is pretty much almost 100% Hispanic, I get that people probably find comfort living in an area with customs/food/culture they're accustomed to and don't want it to be destroyed despite the fact that the area is rampant with crime and aesthetically looks awful.

The ironic part is that you had Japanese, Jews, Italians, and other groups who used to live there before Hispanics came in. I understand there may be some negative side effects of gentrification, but usually it's for the better. As LA becomes increasingly expensive, people are going to start considering neighborhoods they wouldn't have previously considered.

Also, I think it helps to have diversity in the community. I read some startling statistic that under 10% of individuals in East LA have a bachelor's degree. Maybe having college educated professionals mixed in will be a positive influence, especially for youth aspiring to go to college and better their lives. There's a saying that you are the average of the 5 closest people around you, which I think rings very true. Everything is relative and when the norm in East LA is to live in a gang neighborhood with next to no educational attainment or decent career prospects, the average youth will think that's ok. When you start surrounding yourself with people who aspire to become more and thrive in a career, you'll generally push yourself to do the same.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:36 PM

Good post !
that is something a lot of people don't think about.
If these people cared about current and future generations you would think they would be supporting plans to develop and improve the area .
I mean none of the develop plans have been anything that should be negative or controversial
I didn't hear about people wanting to open strip clubs in the area .
It's housing and retail ...
But oh no ... God forbid someone wants to live in nice new housing versus a falling apart building from 100 years ago that hasn't been maintained!

Old 04-20-2016, 05:39 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Except your situation is political and racial.

This situation is economic. A more reasonable example would be comparing the reaction of Holmby Hills residents to the introduction of Section 8 housing in their neighborhood.
Right. Only whites are racist.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Right. Only whites are racist.
Sadly there are many that hold that belief.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I've said for a while that Boyle Heights was going to be the next area for gentrification.
Lot's of ignorance.

"Activist Xochitl Palomera was more blunt: "Gentrification is a violent threat," she says.
"When we feel it we may react in an angry way, through fear.""

What do they fear?
Personally I'd be more afraid of gangbangers versus some moustached guy drinking a cold brew coffee.

Gentrification is a violent thread? Really? That's absurd.

If Ms. Palomera wants to live somewhere without gentrification and a non capitalist economy maybe North Korea might be a good option for her?

Here is another article regarding Boyle Heights anti gentrification..
Boyle Heights residents force a fresh start on Mariachi Plaza project - LA Times

""We've already lost Echo Park, Silver Lake, downtown and now we're being squeezed out by prices," said Adriana Alvarez, a psychiatric social worker who grew up in the neighborhood. "We want our paleteros [ice cream vendors] and our taco stands. We don't need glitter and glamour. That's what this looks like — arrogance and colonization.""

"The people who were most vocal were those who believe that outsiders who don't understand the joy of rancheras streaming from cars or the aroma of menudo on a Sunday morning will destroy their neighborhood's way of life."

If they are worried...I have some good suggestions of places they can move. It sounds like they want to live in Mexico?

Also glitter and glamour in Echo Park, Silver Lake, DTLA? ....All areas are pretty rough around the edges and gritty.

I find it scary to think that the one 'activist' is a psychiatric social worker...sounds more like she needs a psychiatrist..

Yes...the white people are coming...and they are coming to take your menudo and ban ranchera music..what a joke!
Are these people serious?

I think a safe place for these people to move might be Pacoima, probably not likely to get gentrified anytime soon versus Boyle Heights..

They live in a high crime area that has a pretty active number of gang homeboys..and this is their main concern?
Looks like their have their priorities mixed up..

I wish the Mayor and City Council would stop trying to appease these ignorant folks.
If someone can find me the stats of all the people that have died due to gentrification , I'd love to see them.
On the other hand there are tons of stats on the violence that gang members create in these areas.
Gentrification has been proven to lower violent crime (including murder) in cities across America.
I'd argue that gentrification saves lives.
One of the groups organizing these protests are outright Maoists.

"The STPLA is an offshoot of the Red Guards, Los Angeles, which aims to build a communist Maoist party and deliver “complete liberation from the capitalist state”.

"It formed in April 2015 and has sister groups in Austin, Portland and Washington DC, said a spokesman, Alex Brownson, 25. Confronting uninvited outsiders was part of a strategy to rebuff an “onslaught of development”, he said.

“Our emphasis is not on hipsters and white people walking our neighbourhood but when they come here … perhaps these folks should feel uncomfortable. Boyle Heights is not a poverty zoo for wealthy people from west LA.”

'Hope everyone pukes on your artisanal treats': fighting gentrification, LA-style | US news | The Guardian

And yes I agree - they can always go to Pacoima or Panorama City both of which won't be gentrified any time soon. I also agree that the mayor and city council shouldn't kiss these peoples' rears.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Yes , there is a strong anti landlord, anti business attitude of resentment in this city.
"The landlords are GREEDY!"
"The business owners are GREEDY!"

We need the government to help us!
Which is funny because the business owners are also subject to the landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
One of the groups organizing these protests are outright Maoists.

"The STPLA is an offshoot of the Red Guards, Los Angeles, which aims to build a communist Maoist party and deliver “complete liberation from the capitalist state”.

"It formed in April 2015 and has sister groups in Austin, Portland and Washington DC, said a spokesman, Alex Brownson, 25. Confronting uninvited outsiders was part of a strategy to rebuff an “onslaught of development”, he said.

“Our emphasis is not on hipsters and white people walking our neighbourhood but when they come here … perhaps these folks should feel uncomfortable. Boyle Heights is not a poverty zoo for wealthy people from west LA.”

'Hope everyone pukes on your artisanal treats': fighting gentrification, LA-style | US news | The Guardian

And yes I agree - they can always go to Pacoima or Panorama City both of which won't be gentrified any time soon. I also agree that the mayor and city council shouldn't kiss these peoples' rears.
That's just really ignorant of them.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:09 PM

Yes because communism has worked out wonderfully around the world!
Why not try it out in Boyle heights or L.A

It's hard to believe these people actually believe the nonsense they are saying .
They are really nuts !
Problem is the city council actually listens to these hate groups .

Old 04-20-2016, 06:55 PM

958 posts, read 1,148,086 times
Quote:
Sadly there are many that hold that belief.
Its becoming codified by academia as well. It used to be totally lunatic fringe, but has now become mainstreamed. Meanwhile, south korea and jordan routinely win the "most racist country" award year after year. Another new pcism is to claim that slavery was invented by whites during the colombus era... thus negating the history of slavery by ALL groups for millenia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles