Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes it's totally insane.
But, briefly reading their insanity on their webpage...I have the feeling they haven't gotten over that California is no longer part of Mexico.
But then if you want to go that far back in time...wouldn't Native Americans has a better claim to the land than them? Shouldn't we all be speaking some kind of Native American dialect? Afterall this WAS Native American land.
Well Mexicans were essentially created on this continent. Spaniards mixed with natives creating the Mexican.

But you can't say who's actual Mexican or full blood Spaniard or native.

Not that this justifies their cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 AM

387 posts, read 512,446 times
So now BOHI activist are playing pretend city council? Nobody electecd them as officials.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Yeah they have no cause. No credibility. Multiple occasions they have shown to be prejudiced and discriminate only on the basis of skin color.

Why should a 'white business owner' have to beg and grovel to open up business there?

What year is this?

Just like I don't think a hispanic or black ,etc business owner should have to 'prove' themselves in a majority white neighborhood like Pacific Palisades or something.

It's a lot of reverse discrimination and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Can you imagine an L.A Times article saying , a Mexican guy wants to open a business in Pacific Palisades and he hired a white consultant that's lived in Pacific Palisades and wants to make sure that he respects the white community there?

Old 04-22-2016, 10:04 AM

387 posts, read 512,446 times
" I’m a property owner too. I currently reside just south of downtown in Historic South Central. I am African American. I bought a home for the same reason many of us do…to build equity. I could care less who moves into my neighborhood as long as they take care of it. It’s the renters who don’t want to see improvements. I speculate that if they too owned property, they’d be singing a different tune…"

-Curbed LA

Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
" I’m a property owner too. I currently reside just south of downtown in Historic South Central. I am African American. I bought a home for the same reason many of us do…to build equity. I could care less who moves into my neighborhood as long as they take care of it. It’s the renters who don’t want to see improvements. I speculate that if they too owned property, they’d be singing a different tune…"

-Curbed LA
Great point!
For a property owner improvements and getting the gangbangers kicked out and gentrification is great.
The BEST thing for a Boyle Heights property owner would be for the block to be filled with a Starbucks, Craft Brewery, Yoga Studio, Vintage Record Shops, etc. Basically any of the types of businesses people with disposable money shop at.
I live in a low income area and I used to live in a high income area and I am in different parts of the city all the time.
In my area it's common to see fast food chains, check cashing places, cheap barber shops,liquor stores.
These are basic necessity businesses. If these are the majority of shops in your area it's not gentrified.

Gentrification is great because it not only gives an area a better mix of options and businesses, it also raises property values and lowers crime.
I hope entrepreneurs and developers still progress towards gentrifying Boyle Heights.
Because it's the best thing for Boyle Heights.
Trying to stop economic progress on purpose is backwards , especially in a capitalistic society.
Of course the Maoists wouldn't agree with me.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:02 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
What gets me is that the neighborhood used to be Jewish. How would they feel if the Jewish landlords refused to rent to their Hispanic ancestors that started moving in?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
What gets me is that the neighborhood used to be Jewish. How would they feel if the Jewish landlords refused to rent to their Hispanic ancestors that started moving in?
Yeah that's why I would love to see their reaction if Canter's Deli said they were going to open up a spot in their original hometown of Boyle Heights.

And hear them shout about how "We don't eat Bagels here!"

Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,449,802 times
This goes far beyond having Starbucks or seeing more white people. I think these residents of Boyle Heights know what else happens you see gentrification. For example, in Los Angeles there are certain areas where the city applies an ordinance called a "gang injunction". This prevents groups of people hanging out on the streets even if they are not in gangs. This affects lower income Hispanic neighborhoods. Also in at least one of these lower income neighborhoods one is criminalized for getting on the bus late. Even if you are not a gang member or a criminal you are still criminalized for using the public bus at a certain time. What if you are getting out of work? It probably doesn't matter according to this law. In San Francisco the poor are no longer able to play in the park if someone else buys a permit from the city to play in that field. In Brooklyn immigrants were able to play drums however as gentrifiers have moved in they have demanded that these immigrants no longer play these drums. It is more than just having trendy stores and white people move into their neighborhood. If this was it this would not be much of a problem. However this is just the surface. The people in these lower income Hispanic neighborhoods feel they are being pushed out. I mean how would you like it if you were used to doing certain things like playing drums or even taking the bus at a certain time and you are criminalized for doing these things as you are being pushed out of your neighborhood?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 AM

The point of the gang injunctions of course are to bring crime down , I know that they have been controversial for the reasons you stated and that some people have sued the city for being targeted as gang members even though they were not . I know one had a gang member brother. You have to ask overall though is the gang injunction a good thing ?
Gang members cause a lot of problems in a neighborhood , it seems gang injunctions are a good strategy to reduce their activity .

Regarding immigrants not being allowed to play drums in Brooklyn , can you provide a reliable source to this ? I've never heard of this before . Who is stopping them from playing drums ?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:54 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,449,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The point of the gang injunctions of course are to bring crime down , I know that they have been controversial for the reasons you stated and that some people have sued the city for being targeted as gang members even though they were not . I know one had a gang member brother. You have to ask overall though is the gang injunction a good thing ?
Gang members cause a lot of problems in a neighborhood , it seems gang injunctions are a good strategy to reduce their activity .

Regarding immigrants not being allowed to play drums in Brooklyn , can you provide a reliable source to this ? I've never heard of this before . Who is stopping them from playing drums ?
Spike Lee said this in a rant he was talking about how immigrants were able to play drums and now they could not. I don't know if it was Brooklyn, this is what I heard someone else say, though but I know it was New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles