Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 07:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yep, I was thinking they might be college educated, which is likely where their platform stems from..
I would be very surprised if they weren't college educated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Protesters in Hollenbeck Park felt otherwise and barracked the performers. “I made efforts to speak to a woman who appeared to be in charge but was always ignored and often shouted over,” recalled Marc Lowenstein, the company’s music director. “Some of the things she said were: ‘This park is for brown people’ and ‘This is not a park for white people. You are white people.’”

That's not even possible racism , that's blunt in your face racism!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:36 PM

234 posts, read 202,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Protesters in Hollenbeck Park felt otherwise and barracked the performers. “I made efforts to speak to a woman who appeared to be in charge but was always ignored and often shouted over,” recalled Marc Lowenstein, the company’s music director. “Some of the things she said were: ‘This park is for brown people’ and ‘This is not a park for white people. You are white people.’”

Anyone who thought this whole fiasco wasn't based on Racism is very naive.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:

Can you imagine if it was the other way around?

Old 04-21-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Can you imagine if it was the other way around?
Honestly I can't even imagine if it was the other way around..
It would be a top story on CNN and all the other networks about how L.A is a racist city , there would probably be riots too.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:59 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
What floored me--OK lots of things in the article floored me--was when they said the school children in the band felt alienated and threatened because the traveling opera people spoke English! The children are speaking Spanish at home and amongst their peers but surely classes in their public school are conducted in English? And they are aware that that's the first language for most of the country and it's not meant to slight them?

Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Honestly I can't even imagine if it was the other way around..
It would be a top story on CNN and all the other networks about how L.A is a racist city , there would probably be riots too.
I don't know about riots but it would definitely be a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
What floored me--OK lots of things in the article floored me--was when they said the school children in the band felt alienated and threatened because the traveling opera people spoke English! The children are speaking Spanish at home and amongst their peers but surely classes in their public school are conducted in English? And they are aware that that's the first language for most of the country and it's not meant to slight them?
In my experience, US born Latinos only speak Spanish when necessary. Those protestors are so full of crap.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:16 AM

958 posts, read 1,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I would be very surprised if they weren't college educated
Yep. These are probably middle class latinos who went to college and got sucked into a mix of "aztlan" types, animal rights/anarchist groups, #blm, maoists,etc. The average mexican in boyle heights (soon to be known as bohi) doesnt give a crap and would be happy to see some redevelopment and more jobs. Who do you think would be working in the kitchen of the vegan cafes? Ever been in the kitchen of an la restaurant? These are some of the toughest, most resilient, migratory, hardworking mofos on the planet and they will pack up and move to pacoima or wherever if they get priced out and not whine like biznatches.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:26 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,864 times
I think that it's time to start having a Low Rider Hispanic cars and coffee car show there every Sunday morning.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Yes it's totally insane.
But, briefly reading their insanity on their webpage...I have the feeling they haven't gotten over that California is no longer part of Mexico.
But then if you want to go that far back in time...wouldn't Native Americans has a better claim to the land than them? Shouldn't we all be speaking some kind of Native American dialect? Afterall this WAS Native American land.

They are just making an embarrassment out of themselves and not helping the cause of "THE PEOPLE".
The racism is appalling.
I just really hope that when the city is 'listening to the community' about 'development concerns' they aren't listening to these morons.

I don't think latinos should be 'kicked out' of Boyle Heights...but I think these morons SHOULD be kicked out.

In this L.A Times article I read how this craft brewery with "White Owners" (yeah they said that..) wants to open in Boyle Heights and they want to be accepted by the community and want to meet with community organizers...
I can't imagine a meeting with this group going over too well..

When the white owners of Indie Brewing Co. pitched a tasting room to the chamber's board members, they brought their consultant, Ulisses Sanchez, who was raised in Boyle Heights.

"This is really a community process, especially here in Boyle Heights," Sanchez told the board members. "There's been a strong effort to protect the culture here."

Indie Brewing Co.'s plans include community art on the walls of the tasting room; the company wants to meet with Boyle Heights organizations to raise the support needed to help get the OK for the tasting room from the city.

Gentrification pushes up against Boyle Heights — and vice versa - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles