Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,571,299 times

Advertisements

Use the cost of living calculator on the CNN Money magazine website; it will provide lots of good info.

On that salary you should be able to live quite nicely factoring in your rent and auto insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:55 AM

28 posts, read 27,804 times
I actually think you could do better than Marina Del Rey, why not try santa monica? There's a lot more to do there. With a salary of $120,000 I think you could survive and live comfortably in Santa Monica, and also you would be getting paid a much higher salary than the average income there. If the people can make it and survive in Santa Monica with a average salary of 67,000ish, I think you could survive their too with a average salary of $120,000

Old 05-23-2016, 02:45 PM

545 posts, read 514,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murfslaw View Post
You haven't been home shopping on the west side for a long time have you?
I did before I posted. Go to realtor.com and move the map around and repopulate the listings with each mile or so. I found a number of very nice houses in the West Side. Not so much in marina del rey, but not too far away and in very good neighborhoods. Say Cheviot Hills, for example. I used to work there in Century City, a very nice place. Just checked again, Mar Vista even closer to MDR has dozens under $1 million.

For $1 million there are plenty of houses to consider.

And if you want to commute, the Valley is loaded with awesome homes for $1 million.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 PM

581 posts, read 921,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
I did before I posted. Go to realtor.com and move the map around and repopulate the listings with each mile or so. I found a number of very nice houses in the West Side. Not so much in marina del rey, but not too far away and in very good neighborhoods. Say Cheviot Hills, for example. I used to work there in Century City, a very nice place. Just checked again, Mar Vista even closer to MDR has dozens under $1 million.

For $1 million there are plenty of houses to consider.

And if you want to commute, the Valley is loaded with awesome homes for $1 million.
You have to be looking at homes adjacent to the cities you checked. I would buy a house in Cheviot Hills in a heartbeat for less than $1M. I think you moved your mouse over to Palms. The Valley is just that, the Valley. I have friends who live there in a multi-million dollar neighborhood. Not my cup of tea though.

I'm in escrow on my west side home for 27% greater than the asking price; well over $1M.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
You have to be looking at homes adjacent to the cities you checked. I would buy a house in Cheviot Hills in a heartbeat for less than $1M. I think you moved your mouse over to Palms. The Valley is just that, the Valley. I have friends who live there in a multi-million dollar neighborhood. Not my cup of tea though.

I'm in escrow on my west side home for 27% greater than the asking price; well over $1M.
Probably easier to find a home in Cheviot for under a million these days than a home in Culver right nearby although neither will be too easy

Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 PM

242 posts, read 433,319 times
You would be fine but it would be easy to let your expenses get out of control if you aren't especially mindful of them.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:42 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,803,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastjohn View Post
I'm considering a job in Marina del Rey with a salary around 120k. Currently live in New England.

I realize 120k doesn't go very far in the Westside but I'm a single guy with simple needs. Would it be possible for me to swing a decent life in a studio/1bed or would I be spreading myself too thin?
Easily

Quote:
Thanks for the response. After some cursory research it seems I should expect to pay about 1800 a month for a 1 bed in the area. That's a pretty hefty chunk of change so I was wondering if it was even worth it. After taxes, rent, and transport expenses it doesn't seem like 120k would allow me to save very much.
So how much do you calculate you'd be able to save?

Quote:
I didn't mean it as a brag, I thought Westside LA was like Manhattan where a 6 fig salary means you are middle class at best and struggling to get by
Less money managers in the Westside compared to Manhattan. $120,000 is a mid level computer guy driving a old Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
That is a lot of money. You can qualify for an $800,000 loan on $10K a month. With 20% down, that is a million dollar home. You can find lots of great homes at that price.
800,000 is land value, not a great house on the Westside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Rent would be only 21,600 per year.

Which is why some people suspect the OP of trolling.
or over $30,000 pretaxed leaving him around 60k a year, it'd take a few years before he'd be able to purchase one of these million dollar homes.

Quote:
Thanks all. I asked this question on another forum and got the impression that you can't really "make it" in LA unless you're rich. Seems that's not the case.

And of course I need to do more research. I plan on signing up at Westside rentals if I decide to pull the trigger.
Do you just want to "get by" or "make it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnelloct10 View Post
I actually think you could do better than Marina Del Rey, why not try santa monica? There's a lot more to do there. With a salary of $120,000 I think you could survive and live comfortably in Santa Monica, and also you would be getting paid a much higher salary than the average income there. If the people can make it and survive in Santa Monica with a average salary of 67,000ish, I think you could survive their too with a average salary of $120,000
How much do you think those $67,000/year are paying in rent, half their income?

Quote:

Palms is still the Westside, even Mar Vista had homes for under $1M last month. I even saw a $800,000 home, that'd leave you with a $100,000 renovation budget and still be under well $1,000,000.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 4,654 times
Or just stay in New England.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:59 PM

30 posts, read 31,241 times
You can do fine on 120k in this area - regardless of if you decide to rent or buy. Keep in mind CA state income tax as well when factoring in what you want to do. You should look at buying from a debt to income perspective to see if it is even an option, as another poster indicated rent will likely continue to go up. Let me know if you are interested, I have a spreadsheet tool I can email to you that helps to calculate if you can afford to buy and at what amount you would likely qualify for (without having to contact mortgage folks first for a rough order calculation). We love this area and I would absolutely recommend the move here from the east coast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles