Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:25 PM

15 posts, read 12,415 times

Advertisements

LA has its pros and cons but overall it's not a place you can relax and feel at peace. There's too much traffic and the cost of living is too high. LA is more of a tourist attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 04:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,507,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Do you have statistics that show that most successful people leave LA once they 'make it'?
I've heard this myth before and it's ridiculous . People see that a celebrity bought a home in Montana and then they say " See all the celebrities are moving to Montana "
It's very common for rich people to own multiple homes . Even if they don't live in them much they will buy them to speculate or flip them .
Taylor Swift owns at least 3 very expensive homes
Some celebs own multiple homes even in the same neighorhood .
Sure they might by out of state , but if they are working in LA they will most likely keep their LA home(s)

Wealthy at least right now aren't moving out much of LA or CA , it's more the poor and middle class .
It could change if taxes for wealthy get much higher though .
Laws are made by the rich for the rich so there are always loopholes .

Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 PM

155 posts, read 164,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luv sedona View Post
LA has its pros and cons but overall it's not a place you can relax and feel at peace. There's too much traffic and the cost of living is too high. LA is more of a tourist attraction.
I find it a great place to relax and feel at peace. We moved here from NYC and the change of pace is huge. I feel a lot less stressed living in LA. Everyone complains about the traffic but every major city has traffic. I am lucky though that my commute to and from work is only 15 minutes each way.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:02 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,799,885 times
Quote:
I can relax here just fine.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:13 PM

NYC needs legal " medical " marijuana . Wonder if they would chill out a little then.
People so impatient and rushed in NYC , you got people tapping their feet and annoying crap in line . It's like you live in the most dense city in the USA , yet you want to be catered to and don't like waiting in lines for than 30 seconds ??

Old 07-06-2016, 02:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Quote:
That's great that you love Sedona, it's a beautiful area and it's also a tourist attraction.

LA isn't a tourist attraction to those of us who live here, it's home. Traffic is bad in any major American city. It's worse in NY, their highways(called parkways) are the same size for the last 60 years. They haven't been widened for the most part to keep up with the increase in cars. They don't have 4 and 5 lane freeways in both directions.

After a trip to NY(where I grew up) in 2014, it made LA's traffic look like a cakewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I can relax here just fine.
I can as well.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 AM

I think the city is too spread out to be a tourist attraction. There are vast swaths of the city limits that tourists don't venture to .
Pretty much the entire SFV
Sure they will be in Universal City/ studio city for universal studios , but besides that you aren't going to see tourists
So this statement I'm not sure what it's based on , but not fact .
Santa Monica , Hollywood , Beverly Hills sure you'll see the tourists out in big numbers but this is where a relatively small amount of LA residents live .

So many myths about LA

Old 07-09-2016, 07:05 PM

215 posts, read 977,549 times
If you live in the South Bay and have no reason to leave the area then it's a fabulous place to live.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:42 AM

15 posts, read 17,655 times
I cringe when I hear people complain about traffic in LA. I can understand being tired of having to focus in slow traffic after being tired from work...but it's called chill out. If you can't chill out in the inevitable then clearly someone has a problem accepting their life: it's a "you" problem. Being stuck in traffic is an invitation to bump your favorite music super loud in your air conditioned car, and sing the heck out of your favorite tunes while you people watch. Music is therapy y'all! And if you're listening to some depressing or angry music...that says a whole lot more about you than you may not even notice.
It's called be greatful you have four wheels...it could be worst...the bus also has wheels...and not only would you be in traffic as well but you'd probably be standing up during rush hour...and/or waiting at the bus stop in the heat.
Complainers of traffic are like the complainers of the false perception of LA being purely vain/Hollywood/(enter any stereotype of LA: both are Complainers. Chill the **** out and smoke some weed!
Do you choose to focus on the positive? Or do you choose to focus on the negative? Both are choices.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,062,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreDreaming View Post
I cringe when I hear people complain about traffic in LA. I can understand being tired of having to focus in slow traffic after being tired from work...but it's called chill out. If you can't chill out in the inevitable then clearly someone has a problem accepting their life: it's a "you" problem. Being stuck in traffic is an invitation to bump your favorite music super loud in your air conditioned car, and sing the heck out of your favorite tunes while you people watch. Music is therapy y'all! And if you're listening to some depressing or angry music...that says a whole lot more about you than you may not even notice.
It's called be greatful you have four wheels...it could be worst...the bus also has wheels...and not only would you be in traffic as well but you'd probably be standing up during rush hour...and/or waiting at the bus stop in the heat.
Complainers of traffic are like the complainers of the false perception of LA being purely vain/Hollywood/(enter any stereotype of LA: both are Complainers. Chill the **** out and smoke some weed!
Do you choose to focus on the positive? Or do you choose to focus on the negative? Both are choices.
Preach! It's all about perspective.

As I'm preparing to move to LA in a few months, when I'm stuck in the inevitable traffic to/from work, I plan to have my windows up, a/c on, and listening to classical or zen music to chill. Your state of mind while stuck in traffic in your personal vehicle matters a lot about how you manage how you handle and respond to traffic that is a part of life in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles