Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:41 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone outside California say that LA has the hottest people? I recently visited, and I barely saw any. Went to the beach at Santa Monica and Huntington Beach. Walked down Melrose Avenue when it was bustling. Went to Echo Park on a Sunday afternoon and visited many different parts of the city. Visited the Hollywood Farmer's Market. Most of the people I saw were over the age of 50. The young people were not any more exotic or attractive than the folks I've seen elsewhere in the country. I saw a lot of short, overweight men (mostly Mexican but also some pudgy whites). I saw a lot of skinny women at the beach, but they mostly had horse faces and bleached hair. Barely saw anyone over 5'7" tall anywhere. Is the beautiful people stereotype a thing of the past? Or can you only find them in nightclubs or something? I was thinking I would at least see sexy Persians or hot blonde suburban moms or something, but no. I've seen better looking people in the dumpier towns of the Midwest than I did anywhere in LA.

It was all the Wizard of Oz effect, for me.

Also, I didn't like the weather in the city. Too hot. The beaches were more pleasant due to the coast moderating the heat a bit. But I like Seattle summers better than LA weather.

Last edited by skidamarink; 07-10-2016 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Lol that's funny skid. Maybe you should have checked out Orange County lots of (hot) surgically enhanced woman there. Your right summers are hot here but humidity is decent so it's easier to handle.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:15 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguamarina4u View Post
If you live in the South Bay and have no reason to leave the area then it's a fabulous place to live.
Can confirm. I live and work in the South Bay and life is pretty great.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Used to live in Redondo it is/was more laid back than LA
Just kinda sucks if you have to commute to Westside area with traffic

Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
Do you think most people truly enjoy living in LA?

Most of the job opportunities in my wife's field are in NYC and LA (although the number of postings in NYC on Indeed outnumber the postings in LA by a factor of 2:1 or 3:1). She is trying to advance her career, keeping her options open and has been applying for positions in both locations.

I work from home for my employer, so I can live/work anywhere.

We actually both lived in NYC for a brief period several years ago (that's where we met) and have been living in Colorado for a few years now. As is typical with many who have lived in NYC, we both have a love/hate relationship with the city. Truly amazing in many respects - not so great in others.

I realize LA and NYC are about as opposite as they get. We've never lived in LA, but have visited a lot and like many things about it. Living and visiting are obviously not the same however.

Anyway, I don't mean to turn this into a NYC vs. LA thread (that's been done to death), but I'm curious - do you think most people truly enjoy living in LA?
Compared to some places, LA is paradise.

Personally, I just moved out after 40 something years there. I always say "I used to love LA", back in the 70s and 80s. Now it's just too crowded and flooded with transplants, gentrification, etc.. I started to hate it. I wouldn't not move back but I would visit. For most people that live there a long time, I think there's a love/hate relationship with LA. Hate the traffic and overpopulation but love the amenities and the weather.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:05 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Why does everyone outside California say that LA has the hottest people? I recently visited, and I barely saw any. Went to the beach at Santa Monica and Huntington Beach. Walked down Melrose Avenue when it was bustling. Went to Echo Park on a Sunday afternoon and visited many different parts of the city. Visited the Hollywood Farmer's Market. Most of the people I saw were over the age of 50. The young people were not any more exotic or attractive than the folks I've seen elsewhere in the country. I saw a lot of short, overweight men (mostly Mexican but also some pudgy whites). I saw a lot of skinny women at the beach, but they mostly had horse faces and bleached hair. Barely saw anyone over 5'7" tall anywhere. Is the beautiful people stereotype a thing of the past? Or can you only find them in nightclubs or something? I was thinking I would at least see sexy Persians or hot blonde suburban moms or something, but no. I've seen better looking people in the dumpier towns of the Midwest than I did anywhere in LA.

Also, I didn't like the weather in the city. Too hot. The beaches were more pleasant due to the coast moderating the heat a bit. But I like Seattle summers better than LA weather.
Lots of fit, beautiful women of all backgrounds in LA. But if you go to an overly touristy area like hte pier or hollywood/highland you won't see as many. Hang out where the locals go, like Brentwood's shopping/dining area will have a lot.

The men are definitely less attractive here.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Can confirm. I live and work in the South Bay and life is pretty great.
I'm trying to get a job at a particular company in Torrance, if it works out, I'll happily live in the South Bay area.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I'm trying to get a job at a particular company in Torrance, if it works out, I'll happily live in the South Bay area.
Things seem a bit more civilized there than the city of L.A

Old 07-13-2016, 02:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Why does everyone outside California say that LA has the hottest people? I recently visited, and I barely saw any. Went to the beach at Santa Monica and Huntington Beach. Walked down Melrose Avenue when it was bustling. Went to Echo Park on a Sunday afternoon and visited many different parts of the city. Visited the Hollywood Farmer's Market. Most of the people I saw were over the age of 50. The young people were not any more exotic or attractive than the folks I've seen elsewhere in the country. I saw a lot of short, overweight men (mostly Mexican but also some pudgy whites). I saw a lo
t of skinny women at the beach, but they mostly had horse faces and bleached hair. Barely saw anyone over 5'7" tall anywhere. Is the beautiful people stereotype a thing of the past? Or can you only find them in nightclubs or something? I was thinking I would at least see sexy Persians or hot blonde suburban moms or something, but no. I've seen better looking people in the dumpier towns of the Midwest than I did anywhere in LA.

You do realize that you were a tourist, visiting mostly areas that tourists visit?

Guess it never occurred to you that some/most of these people were visitors just like you?

Not saying we don't have fatties here, we do, but not like you see in other parts of the country.

If you go to Santa Monica Pier, most of the people don't live in CA.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:26 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You do realize that you were a tourist, visiting mostly areas that tourists visit?

Guess it never occurred to you that some/most of these people were visitors just like you?

Not saying we don't have fatties here, we do, but not like you see in other parts of the country.

If you go to Santa Monica Pier, most of the people don't live in CA.
Yeah its like wandering the vegas strip and going "wow people from las vegas sure are fat!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles