Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Sherman Oaks women tied up at gunpoint in home-invasion robbery

For those that don't know this is a nice and expensive area and considered very safe by LA standards .

Interesting la times doesn't have anything about this , but not surprising .

Hope they catch these scumbags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,643 times
While Sherman Oaks and other parts of the Valley that are in the hills such as Studio City, Encino, and Tarzana are wealthier areas with low rates of violent crime, robberies do happen from time to time because these areas are high value targets so to speak. Not to mention, they are adjacent to lower income, higher crime areas such as Van Nuys. There's a reason why a number of homes have private gate driveway entrances and other barriers to ward off potential robbers.

Although these incidents aren't necessarily very frequent, I can't say I'm too surprised.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Home invasions are usually targeted like the perps know for a fact that they have cash, drugs or whatever inside the home.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:15 AM

yeah a couple things interesting . This happened at 11pm and she walked outside the house . Why would you do that ?
Also she is in her 30s and lives with her husband , but he wasn't home .
Also why not description released of suspects by authorities if these armed robbers are on the loose..

Old 07-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
yeah a couple things interesting . This happened at 11pm and she walked outside the house . Why would you do that ?
Also she is in her 30s and lives with her husband , but he wasn't home .
Also why not description released of suspects by authorities if these armed robbers are on the loose..
Maybe husband was trying to get rid of her

Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Home invasions are usually targeted like the perps know for a fact that they have cash, drugs or whatever inside the home.
And of the minority which are not directly targeted, victims are often elderly and thus thought to have prescription narcotics in their home - of which legal sources have gotten very difficult to get and of which even illegal supplies are getting smaller. (E.g. Mike Gatto's father, Joseph, who was killed in a home invasion robbery by a robber in search of pharmaceuticals.) That's why there's more and more heroin use. But yes, the majority are directly targeted, as you mention, and/or they're directed against people who have illegal businesses

There wasn't enough information in the article to surmise anything based on the facts, though.

Last edited by majoun; 07-27-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Yeah , who knows . Possible the husband is involved in some kind of criminal activity or owes bad guys money .
Certainly not everyone living in sherman oaks is on the up and up

Old 07-27-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah , who knows . Possible the husband is involved in some kind of criminal activity or owes bad guys money .
Certainly not everyone living in sherman oaks is on the up and up
When I lived in Sherman Oaks I had more then one neighbor who was in the legal weed business. They made a lot of money and had a lot of cash on hand because those dispensaries are mostly an all cash business and federally backed banks won't touch the money

Old 07-27-2016, 12:23 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And of the minority which are not directly targeted, victims are often elderly and thus thought to have prescription narcotics in their home - of which legal sources have gotten very difficult to get and of which even illegal supplies are getting smaller. (E.g. Mike Gatto's father, Joseph, who was killed in a home invasion robbery by a robber in search of pharmaceuticals.) That's why there's more and more heroin use. But yes, the majority are directly targeted, as you mention, and/or they're directed against people who have illegal businesses

There wasn't enough information in the article to surmise anything based on the facts, though.
Most home invasion victims are elderly and thus thought to have prescription narcotics? Do you have anything to back that up?

How would you know that about Gatto? The case remains very much unsolved, with no suspect and no clear motive. I didn't realize you had an inside source at the LAPD.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
When I lived in Sherman Oaks I had more then one neighbor who was in the legal weed business. They made a lot of money and had a lot of cash on hand because those dispensaries are mostly an all cash business and federally backed banks won't touch the money
Yeah , it's not too unlikely to be something like that . I know there are quite a few high end looking pot shops on Ventura Blvd , many have valet parking too .
It's not too far fetched that some would live near their businesses .

Yeah I know about that federal restriction , it's a big issue for these businesses .
They even have to pay their taxes in cash .
I'm guessing it will change at some point . It's pretty stupid really and I'm sure it encourages a lot more crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles