Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 10:53 AM

10 posts, read 10,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Fixed it for you.

haha, thanks. Yea, you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 03:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Brazil is definitely not majority white, not even half. The people they call white there would be seen as mestizo or Latino in the United States. And most black Americans would be called mulatto down there. Only purely African looking people are considered black. They'd call Eva Longoria white and anyone lighter than Djimon Honsou mulatto.
Eva Longoria is both white and Latina.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Brazil is definitely not majority white, not even half. The people they call white there would be seen as mestizo or Latino in the United States. And most black Americans would be called mulatto down there. Only purely African looking people are considered black. They'd call Eva Longoria white and anyone lighter than Djimon Honsou mulatto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Which was the point. Race is political not biological. If Eva Longoria was over 70 then she would have been white, even in Los Angeles for most of her life.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:14 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,800 times
Quote:
Eva Longoria identifies herself as a non white woman of color, and I doubt most Americans if asked what she was would answer "white." Her ancestry is 2/3 European and 1/3 native but she was surprised, having believed she had more native blood. My point stil stands that Brazilian perception and classification of race is totally different than the American one, and that it is a black and brown majority nation.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Eva Longoria identifies herself as a non white woman of color. Her ancestry is 2/3 European and 1/3 native but she was surprised, having believed she had more native blood. My point stil stands that Brazilian perception and classification of race is totally different than the American one.
Is Angelina Jolie a nonwhite woman of color? Megan Fox?

As Taiko says, if Longoria was over 70, she would have identified as white even if she'd grown up in L.A. There is nothing biological about race - it's purely political and sociocultural.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:09 PM

176 posts, read 177,139 times
Quote:

As Taiko says, if Longoria was over 70, she would have identified as white even if she'd grown up in L.A. There is nothing biological about race - it's purely political and sociocultural.

Yeah, this always makes me wonder. I am half Persian, I have dark eyes and hair and olive skin. I get pretty dark during the summer. I self identify as "white", and feel as if everyone think's Im white, too. And I live in the North Valley.

When I go to visit friends in Seattle or Portland I am definitely not white. Not compared to those people. They're so pale and blonde. Dare I say pasty? I was darker then most of the hispanics up there!!!! I I also felt like I stood out. I sure didn't look like a local. Maybe they just all thought I came back from an island vacay and they were jealous?

Now I also have a gnarly jew 'fro. Can you say that? well, I do. And I've read about such a thing called the pencil test they used in the south back in the segregation days. If a pencil would stay in your hair, you were "colored" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil_test_(South_Africa)

And by that standard, I am colored. You could lose three pencils in my giant hair unless I have a good blowout. My ex husband called my hair "the branches" :P

Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:

What do two white American actresses have to do with it? Neither has 1/3 native ancestry; neither have Eva Longoria's hair, eye, or skin color or identifies as a minority today in 2016 at the age that they are. My point was that people who do not look white or consider themselves white in the US would be white in Brazil. I wasn't trying to make a statement about race being biological (it's not). Would you accept me saying Djimon Honsou looks black and is considered such in both countries? Back to my original point: whites in Brazil are a minority.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:34 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,894 times
Omg white people come is ALL sizes, and COLORS (except for black).

Old 08-19-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:

They're both white--one is Jewish and the other has French and whatever Jon Voight (German) is so I have no idea what they have to do with Eva Longoria. Are you saying they all look alike and would be confused for having the same ancestry??? I don't know many Americans who call Eva white or the other two minorities. I merely picked Eva as an example as someone in the middle of the color spectrum-- dark in Sweden but pale in Brazil.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:36 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,894 times
Sofia Vergara is a great example. She is Latina but her genes/family are European. If someone is part native America they are mixed! If they are part black they are mixed! If they are more than just one race they are mixed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles