Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 01:38 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Threw out America, I've realized in "diverse" environments stores usually hire a certain race. For example I live in burien, a suburb of Seattle. It is really "diverse". Some stores are all black, some are all Mexican, some are white, some are kinda mixed so I think it has to do with the owners. I've noticed Asian store owners/managers usually hire other Asians.
A lot of that also has to do with self-selection by the people working there, or more specifically the people who leave those places after only a few weeks or months of employment, if they apply at all.

If you have a store with a lot of black employees, it may very well be that they'll make it uncomfortable for whites, asians or hispanics to work there.

If you have a store where everyone is speaking Espanol then it may not be a very good place to work if you're asian, white or black, so those employees end up seeking other gigs.

And you're probably not going to find a whole lot of whites, blacks or hispanics working in a family-owned asian restaurant.

The only example where it's not true is a company with Whites, because we've been conditioned to be as accomodating as possible toward every other group lest we appear "wayciss", and even when being as accomodating as possible there's always some perceived slight, or perhaps even (gosh forbib) a MICROAGGRESSION!!!!! Ahhhh! It never ends, we will always be blamed for being racist even when 90% of whites are not.

People gravitate toward different jobs. I work in a field that's 99% men. We don't discriminate against women even in the slightest, and I think a lady with a certain mindset could do well here, it's just that not a single one has applied in the past 15 years that my company has been in business.

And come to think of it I've never seen a female plumber, auto mechanic, hvac mechanic, roofer, mason, carpenter, etc. etc. but I think think it's the fault of the companies running those businesses. Maybe it's different in other cities.

That "self-selection" thing likely also applies to neighborhoods, and probably somewhat applies to schools as well.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:06 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
Illogical because I am asking a racial question that is not about why white people are evil?
You've once again pulled another strawman argument out of your butt. I can't even...

Old 10-02-2016, 05:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronizzle View Post
It wouldn't be far fetched to conspiracy theorist, tinfoil hat, fringe right wing nutjobs. No.
Which there are tons of on this site. Sometimes CD feels like Stormfront Junior.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What you may see in one VONS means nothing to your premise unless it is proven replicated in all VONS. And here in this thread you have multiple responses from others, including myself, who go into VONS stores and see employees of all races.

This is known as a "Fail" due to false premise. End of debate. Like with the Donald. Nothing left but bluster.
I was in a Vons today in West LA. Half the employees were black. The rest were evenly split between Latino and non-Latino white. Didn't reflect the demographics of the neighborhood, but since the employees were all qualified to do their jobs, polite, professional, and helpful, no one should have a problem with that.

The OP's experience is typical of one or two stores and definitely not typical of the whole chain.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
I know what you mean.

Like the evidence when they walk into a local VONS and see 100% hispanic employees.
Really? The two different Vons I shop at has whites, blacks, and Latinos.

Are you not from here? Perhaps you would be better suited to go live in Utah.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:57 PM

36 posts, read 39,557 times
Quote:
So,

I've been noticing that several businesses only hire hispanic employee's.

There is nothing specifically hispanic about these businesses, i'm talking your VONS, Your Pavillions, Your Ralphs, Your Staples, your post offices, your banks, etc.

How is it not total discrimination against blacks, asians and whites when this happens? But if a business hired only white people, it's immediately called racial discrimination?

Why the double standard and (more importantly) why the hell doesn't anybody point it out?
I haven't noticed this at all. Proof? Take a picture. Because according to the Equal Opportunity Act, employers cannot only hire hispanics.

Since you're white and you witnessed this, why not snap a pic of the signs, ask for an application, fill it out and then sue?

Isn't that what white people do anyways? LOL, sue sue and more suing.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:23 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
You have not proven anything objectively brah.
Truth is power.

The social scientific method requires objective evidence just like anything else.
So, did you notice the three posts immediately above this one that point out the fallacy of your premise? Along with numerous others in this thread?

Here's the thing to know about "proof": it's not necessary for anyone to prove anything when the truth is entirely self-evident - as in the fact that these stores you cite as hiring only Hispanics - well - don't. You have no valid premise : you have no argument. Just silly foundationless blathering chatter of Storm Front talking points as evidenced by the quote below.

Quote:
That's what I thought.

Would it be far fetched to conclude, based on all the circumstantial evidence, that these mexican/latino management teams are consciously attempting to weed out all other races but their own from the work force?

Remember, tribalist racism is cool as long as it ain't white people doing it.

Self preservation is awesome, as long as it ain't white people engaging in it.

Protection within an enclave is great, as long as it isn't white people doing it.

Believing in your own people is adorable and excellent as long as it isn't white people doing it.

So, is it out of the purview of logic to think latino managers will only hire latino employee's based purely on racial tribalism?
Silly alien. Can't even come up with a good troll topic.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronizzle View Post
It wouldn't be far fetched to conspiracy theorist, tinfoil hat, fringe right wing nutjobs. No.
Roger that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
You've once again pulled another strawman argument out of your butt. I can't even...
Roger that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Which there are tons of on this site. Sometimes CD feels like Stormfront Junior.
Roger that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I was in a Vons today in West LA. Half the employees were black. The rest were evenly split between Latino and non-Latino white. Didn't reflect the demographics of the neighborhood, but since the employees were all qualified to do their jobs, polite, professional, and helpful, no one should have a problem with that.

The OP's experience is typical of one or two stores and definitely not typical of the whole chain.
Roger that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? The two different Vons I shop at has whites, blacks, and Latinos.

Are you not from here? Perhaps you would be better suited to go live in Utah.
Roger that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabees View Post
I haven't noticed this at all. Proof? Take a picture. Because according to the Equal Opportunity Act, employers cannot only hire hispanics.

Since you're white and you witnessed this, why not snap a pic of the signs, ask for an application, fill it out and then sue?

Isn't that what white people do anyways? LOL, sue sue and more suing.
Roger that.
And that's a wrap.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
If you are a white male and you are not hired because you are a white male, well, you are not in a protected class and you probably won't get much traction with litigation.
Where the hell do you live?

FYI - non-Hispanic whites are a minority group in California and have been for several years now.

Minority status with no minority rights / privileges - go figure.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Where the hell do you live?

FYI - non-Hispanic whites are a minority group in California and have been for several years now.

Minority status with no minority rights / privileges - go figure.
Oh look! The OP has a new friend. Lol.

Hey Bert. Do you know the difference between majorities, minorities, and pluralities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles