Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 18,498 times

Advertisements

I live in northern Glendale and I need to drive to work in the morning to Beverly Hills / West Hollywood area. I need to arrive at 9:20am.

I've tried freeways, 5, 10 and 110, but I've found surface streets to be a bit faster usually. On surface streets, I've started taking Central in Glendale to Los Feliz to Western to Wilshire. Anyone have any ideas for the fastest route. The trip currently takes me about an hour and a half every morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times
If there is indeed a faster way, I'm not sure anyone here would share it with you!

Welcome to City-Data!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 13,349 times
I drive from Eagle Rock to Beverly Hills (the western part, near Century City) every day. But sometimes I come from Glendale since my parents house is there.

From Glendale, I'd take the 134, exit Forest Lawn. Go straight for a few miles, make a left at the T (Barham, I believe). Go straight until you hit the 101 freeway overpass, make a left on Cahuenga (which turns into Highland) toward Hollywood. You'll hit some traffic here, but just trudge through and then make a right on Melrose (bearing west). Melrose moves pretty well in the mornings. In fact, I find that it's the best east-west street in Mid City during rush hour (both evening and morning). From there, you can make a left on La Cienega and then make a right on Wilshire toward Beverly Hills.

Another way to take would be to make a right on 3rd St. This snakes through the local part of Beverly Hills. Keep on 3rd until you hit Foothill, which is shortly after you pass Doheny. Make a left on third, which immediately hits Burton Way. Burton Way turns into Santa Monica Blvd, which heads toward Century City.

I found this way to take 1 hour, no more than 1 hour and fifteen. If you leave early, say 7:30, it make take even less time to get there. I'm not so sure about the return home though.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM

332 posts, read 2,149,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrulez View Post
Melrose moves pretty well in the mornings. In fact, I find that it's the best east-west street in Mid City during rush hour (both evening and morning).
Beverly Blvd. is faster than Melrose IMO. Take the 2 fwy, exit Glendale Blvd north, after you exit go straight, turn right on Duane (the mountain), turn left on Silver Lake, which turns into Beverly Blvd. and take it all the way into Beverly Hills. I've made it from La Canada to the Beverly Center in 30 minutes that way.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowni View Post
I live in northern Glendale and I need to drive to work in the morning to Beverly Hills / West Hollywood area. I need to arrive at 9:20am.

I've tried freeways, 5, 10 and 110, but I've found surface streets to be a bit faster usually. On surface streets, I've started taking Central in Glendale to Los Feliz to Western to Wilshire. Anyone have any ideas for the fastest route. The trip currently takes me about an hour and a half every morning.
When you go down Los Feliz and make the turn onto Western, turn right onto Franklin and go down to Wilton, take Wilton to Beverly, turn right. You will run into Santa Monica just past West Hollywood.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,453 times
i notice that this thread is a bit old, but if you still need the information:

i would take 134W to 101N, exit coldwater canyon, and head south over the hill. it will take a bit of time to crawl over the hill with all the other valley-to-LA commuters, but when you reach the other side, you will already be in beverly hills. i used to do the reverse of this to pasadena, and it generally took about 45 minutes. coming from your direction will take about 20-30 minutes longer.

i think the reason that surface streets are faster than the freeways you have taken is that they all involve traveling directly through downtown. this way, you can bypass downtown and still get the benefit of no traffic lights much of the way. i think you'll find it to be faster than traveling west on wilshire blvd at rush hour.

Last edited by katenik; 02-27-2008 at 09:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles