Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 28,700 times

Advertisements

UCLA is largely considered the best hospital in SoCal (UCSD is probably next, then Cedars)... many think its the best on the west coast (UCSF, UWashington, and Stanford being the others).

UCLA-Santa Monica is growing and is absorbing several of UCLA-Westwood's departments, so I wouldnt say its not on the same level.

Personally, if I couldnt go to UCLA-Westwood, I would go to UCLA-Santa Monica and then Cedars-Sinai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,984 times
I am currently with Cedars-Sinai Charity Care. I am sure there is nothing but good things to say about this medical center and I intend to stay here for my general medical care. However, I will be in need of a high-risk eye surgery so I would like to be referred to the charity care program equivalent at Jules Stein Eye Institute. However, I read that referrals to this Institute for the uninsured and "indigent" is mostly through the Torrance and Sylmar UC centers very far away from me. Just for my referral can I get Charity Care at UCLA in Westood instead, especially since I am now at Cedars-Sinai?

Also I read here one post that states LAC-USC is considered most outstanding both for charity care options and quality of care. I have also read that this is a strong source of referral to the Doheny Eye Clinic.

How would anybody compare Jules Stein Eye Institute with the Doheny Eye Clinic. Is this about equal?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM

276 posts, read 1,019,125 times
Default Jules Stein Eye Institute/Charity care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anali View Post
I am currently with Cedars-Sinai Charity Care. I am sure there is nothing but good things to say about this medical center and I intend to stay here for my general medical care. However, I will be in need of a high-risk eye surgery so I would like to be referred to the charity care program equivalent at Jules Stein Eye Institute. However, I read that referrals to this Institute for the uninsured and "indigent" is mostly through the Torrance and Sylmar UC centers very far away from me. Just for my referral can I get Charity Care at UCLA in Westood instead, especially since I am now at Cedars-Sinai?

Also I read here one post that states LAC-USC is considered most outstanding both for charity care options and quality of care. I have also read that this is a strong source of referral to the Doheny Eye Clinic.

How would anybody compare Jules Stein Eye Institute with the Doheny Eye Clinic. Is this about equal?
From what I understand they have discontinued their charity care type program at Jules Stein Eye Institute (unless they have started again within the last 12 months) you may call to check it out.

LAC/USC is excellent for any type of care, and you would be wise to seek eye care there.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,984 times
Wink Jules Stein vs. LAC-USC (Doheny Eye Institute)

Wow, Lizzy! Then I think I am now further on my path to narrowing things down! I dread eye surgery but this, nonetheless, has been an interesting journey of discovery.

Now probably I cannot rule out Jules Stein for sure, but sure sounds like if I don't there are probably many extra hoops to jump through. Actually the Doheny Eye Institute is ALSO among the nation's top 10 Eye Hospitals -- much less known and talked about here but fantastic nonetheless, so that is a gem of information to explore!

I feel lucky that we have two of the nation's top Eye Care hospitals right here in L.A. -- (go to Hawaii or many cities and states elsewhere and you may have far more limited choices if you don't feel able to travel.)

Thanks again!

Liana

Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
I don't have health insurance and have absolutely no problem seeing doctors. Just ask for the cash discount.

Why do you want to see an ENT or Gastroenterologist within a hospital setting? I would think this very expensive.

I have seen both doctors using cash and have had no problems. My regular doctor also takes cash, and I get a cash deal for blood work also.

I have also had discounted rates through the local hospital. No problem.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I don't have health insurance and have absolutely no problem seeing doctors. Just ask for the cash discount.

Why do you want to see an ENT or Gastroenterologist within a hospital setting? I would think this very expensive.

I have seen both doctors using cash and have had no problems. My regular doctor also takes cash, and I get a cash deal for blood work also.

I have also had discounted rates through the local hospital. No problem.
I'm looking at one of my EOBs right now.

The doctor billed my PPO (BCBS) $225, insurance paid him $59. Next line, doctor bill $213, he got $122. (I paid a grand total of $15 for my copayment.) So, wouldn't that mean a cash paying customer would have to pay $225 +$213 = $438?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

The doctor billed my PPO (BCBS) $225, insurance paid him $59. Next line, doctor bill $213, he got $122. (I paid a grand total of $15 for my copayment.) So, wouldn't that mean a cash paying customer would have to pay $225 +$213 = $438?
One has to see the paper work. Are the $225 and $213 for two different services? If so he probably got $59+$122. The service rendered would usually have a code next to it and they would be on separate lines. Docs bill whatever they like, but when they are contracted with the insurance, the bill is reduced to the contractual rate and then a portion of that is paid to the doc. The patient's part depends on deductibles and copays. They have made the system so complicated that for every $1 earned there is $1.5 or more spent. The CEOs make the most, so don't expect this to go away easily.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
One has to see the paper work. Are the $225 and $213 for two different services? If so he probably got $59+$122. The service rendered would usually have a code next to it and they would be on separate lines. Docs bill whatever they like, but when they are contracted with the insurance, the bill is reduced to the contractual rate and then a portion of that is paid to the doc. The patient's part depends on deductibles and copays. They have made the system so complicated that for every $1 earned there is $1.5 or more spent. The CEOs make the most, so don't expect this to go away easily.

Yes, they were for two separate services. And yes, the $59 and $122 were the contracted amounts that go to the doctor. This is why I posted. I don't think a cash paying customer gets the negotiated rate. They may pay "list price".

Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Most doctors I have seen discount by a percentage. My GP will usually charge me about $50 for an office visit, a full blood panel about $300, my ENT about $80. I had a colonoscopy for less than $1,200. And a 4-day stay in the hospital and an ER visit were both discounted by 70%. No deals on medications via the pharmacy though.

There are also doctors in my area who will no longer accept patients with private insurance. They are fed up with the insurance companies. They are now making deals with patients for cash, or patients are paying an annual fee. Doctors are changing the way they are doing business.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Most doctors I have seen discount by a percentage. My GP will usually charge me about $50 for an office visit, a full blood panel about $300, my ENT about $80. I had a colonoscopy for less than $1,200. And a 4-day stay in the hospital and an ER visit were both discounted by 70%. No deals on medications via the pharmacy though.

There are also doctors in my area who will no longer accept patients with private insurance. They are fed up with the insurance companies. They are now making deals with patients for cash, or patients are paying an annual fee. Doctors are changing the way they are doing business.
Do you have insurance? If not, what are you going to do if something catastrophic happens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles