Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM

37 posts, read 110,448 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am looking to take control of an apartment in Sherman Oaks/Studio City (South of the 101) on or around June 1st. I will be relocating with 2 or 3 friends, and due to the massive number of things involved in orchestrating a cross-country move with multiple people, I can really only afford to make one trip out there to find somewhere to live.

My experiences with apartment living in Philadelphia have me under the impression that places are found and leases are signed generally several months prior to move-in, however from looking on craigslist and westside rentals, it seems more like places are perpetually "available now".

It is also my understanding (mostly from reading this forum) that the area I am targeting is a highly desirable one, and so I assume that nice places for a good price are harder to come by.

I was intending on coming out at the beginning of April, however if the consensus on this thread is that coming either earlier or later will be better to find a place for June 1st, I will adjust my plans accordingly.

I should also add that we are open both to individual rentals as well as complexes, with the only requirement being that the place has a balcony or patio (which just about every place has).

Sorry for the length of the post - just wanted to explain everything at once. You guys are always helpful and informative, and I thank you for your help.

-- Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 02:19 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishardin View Post
Hey all,

I am looking to take control of an apartment in Sherman Oaks/Studio City (South of the 101) on or around June 1st. I will be relocating with 2 or 3 friends, and due to the massive number of things involved in orchestrating a cross-country move with multiple people, I can really only afford to make one trip out there to find somewhere to live.

My experiences with apartment living in Philadelphia have me under the impression that places are found and leases are signed generally several months prior to move-in, however from looking on craigslist and westside rentals, it seems more like places are perpetually "available now".

It is also my understanding (mostly from reading this forum) that the area I am targeting is a highly desirable one, and so I assume that nice places for a good price are harder to come by.

I was intending on coming out at the beginning of April, however if the consensus on this thread is that coming either earlier or later will be better to find a place for June 1st, I will adjust my plans accordingly.

I should also add that we are open both to individual rentals as well as complexes, with the only requirement being that the place has a balcony or patio (which just about every place has).

Sorry for the length of the post - just wanted to explain everything at once. You guys are always helpful and informative, and I thank you for your help.

-- Chris
I always suggest to be careful when using craiglist, you always need to question the validity of whats being advertised there. As for when to rent it's not like LA is a college town where the apartments clear out in the summer, so the sooner the better, especially with the way some companies get rent increase happy. There have been several instances I can think of where the cost of rent went up between the time I initially inquired on an apt and then seriously pursued the apartment. If you like the apartment and the area, a year lease will at least ensure your rent staying the same for the length of your contract, and several apartments offer discounts for signing a longer lease. It may only be $100/month discount for the first year, but that's an annual $1,200 savings. It also doesn't hurt to ask for such a discount in return for signing a longer lease. Best of luck with your move.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
60 days is probably the limit that most buildings will have vacancies posted for. most places are typically rented out and tenants usually give a move date 30 days at the latest and probably 60 months at the earliest, especially if the lease is up already, otherwise the landlord will up the rent on you

Old 03-06-2008, 03:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
Everytime I've looked for apartments in LA, the landlords wanted the vacancy filled ASAP. The apartment I live in now was listed before the previous tenant even moved out. I doubt you would find many places to live if you needed more than 2 weeks to move in.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Everytime I've looked for apartments in LA, the landlords wanted the vacancy filled ASAP. The apartment I live in now was listed before the previous tenant even moved out. I doubt you would find many places to live if you needed more than 2 weeks to move in.
That is actually what I am concerned about. In Philadelphia it is common for the landlord to line a new tenant up anywhere from 1-3 months before the current one moves out, to avoid having the place vacant for any longer than is necessary. If this is the case, then I should be coming out there very soon to find a place for June 1st, because if I wait until a couple weeks before moving, many of the places that would be available on 6/1 should already have new clients lined up and waiting to move in.

In everybody's experiences, is this generally how things are done? Like I said before, almost everything on craigslist and westside rentals is advertising "available now" which would imply that I don't need to come find a place until mid-May.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:40 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
basically it depends on notice, if the tenant gives little notice then thats what happens

typically, you'll see a month or two leadout here and not much more. leases typically require 30days notice for a moveout(or they can claim part of your sec deposit?). sometimes they're available for rent right then or the first of the next month.. its really hit and miss. there are enough apartments and scenarios around here that im sure you'll find something

Old 03-07-2008, 07:44 AM

Those of you who have recently moved into new apartments... how long before move-in did you find the place? I only keep asking because if the answer is something in the range of '1 1/2 - 2 months', then I really need to start planning my trip in the next few days.

-- Chris

Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 AM

7 posts, read 16,998 times
Hi Chris. Why are you moving to Ca from Philly, is it for work? If so, won't they line up an apartment for you? If you are doing this on your own, then I would suggest 30-60 days. I don't live in CA, so don't take my word on that, but I have been actively looking and that seems to be the consensus from most places.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:05 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times
When I have a vacancy I will only hold it for 10-14 days with a substantial deposit. In my area I suggest start looking 2 weeks prior to move-in.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
...it's not like LA is a college town where the apartments clear out in the summer...
I can't agree with you. Apartments clear out in droves here 1st of June for a variety of reasons and the best deals are found very late may to the end of July/early August (this is if he's truly talking about L.A. and not OC). This is for a variety of reasons but it's always been this way in L.A. Regarding Craigslist, I like it a whole lot better than Westside Rentals and it's free.

Only look in person and only look in neighborhoods you've investigated. NEVER rent an apartment sight unseen. Leases are typically NOT signed months in advance here. More than a month is unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles