Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times

Advertisements

Nothing like rehashing why people don't like LA for the umpteenth time. Everything that will be said in this thread has been said before, and will be said again. It's all kinda pointless. Some people love LA, some people hate LA. If you need to vent though, go ahead. There's plenty of people on here who will happily chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:47 PM

9 posts, read 24,791 times
L.A. symblizes everything wrong with the U.S.; selfishness, greed, and segregation. I've never seen so many selfish, me-first people in my life. Don't get me wrong, not everyone out here fits into one of those three categories, but many, many do. And its SO accepted. I give props to the people that live here and carry themselves like they aren't the most important person on da planet. Alot of people here seem to really get off on living up to the rep that l.a. has, as far as being phony, plastic, pretentious, materialistic, etc...Some people really think its cool to be that way. Amazing...

Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Some of these problems are exactly the reason why I WANT to move to LA. I'm a firefighter in WI, and it's the best job that I could ask for. However, I'm someone that likes a lot going on. LA would give me the "big city" experience that I want. Yet, it also has sort of a laid back feeling as well.

I want to be someone where I actually see a lot of fire. It will give me a chance to help more people by working for one of the busiest and best fire departments in the world. LAFD is almost comparable to the Navy Seals of the fire department. Many fail at it, and those who succeed make a huge difference in the city.
Try to get on the Malibu Fire Department or San Bernardino County if you want to see a lot of fire action. Especially in late September, it's considered fire season.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Try to get on the Malibu Fire Department or San Bernardino County if you want to see a lot of fire action. Especially in late September, it's considered fire season.
I'm more into the structure fire thing than the wildland fire. I also want to be on a large dept. They are more aggressive. However, if there are major wildfires, like this past year, LAFD would get involved anyway. They have wildland teams. LA County hires more wildfires though.

If I don't get the job this first time because of my background, I might go to school out there at Cal State-LA. Then join with LACoFD or Angeles National Forest during the summer/fall for fire season.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
No sooner do I claim that
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Every poster who's disputed what I've written has added that it's our own damn fault for being lower middle class American citizens in Los Angeles and that they will be HAPPY to see English-speaking (our studied foreign languages don't mesh with theirs), friendly, pet-owning, people like ourselves out of here forever, and that's it's now only a place for young, rich renters who speak a variety of foreign languages that coincide with theirs. Since when was that the requirement for living in a city in America?
than another poster immediately validates this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
LA is a cut throat city. To really enjoy all the benefits the city has to offer, you have to be a successful person. This goes for all major cities in the US (NYC, SF, Chicago, DC...) If you didn't cut it here, thats too bad for you, but no one is forcing you to stay. Go ahead and leave, that will be one less family on our clogged freeways.
In other words, the kneejerk reflex of the present day L.A. demographic is to despise anyone not exactly like yourself, and wish out loud that they weren't even around any more. That's the unAmericanness to which I referred. We are working every day to afford to move from this city of haters.

L.A. was navigable, affordable and fun through the 1980's, hardly nostalgia for the mists of time ( or in my case, five decades here.) Many of its problems are unique in the U.S., even for megopoli, such as the highest percentile of illegals in the nation, and the corruption that caters to them to the detriment of the citizenry. Relocators here deserve to read all observations about this place, not just those seen through rose-colored sunglasses

Old 03-09-2008, 11:27 AM

218 posts, read 741,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8nla View Post
L.A. symblizes everything wrong with the U.S.; selfishness, greed, and segregation. I've never seen so many selfish, me-first people in my life. Don't get me wrong, not everyone out here fits into one of those three categories, but many, many do. And its SO accepted. I give props to the people that live here and carry themselves like they aren't the most important person on da planet. Alot of people here seem to really get off on living up to the rep that l.a. has, as far as being phony, plastic, pretentious, materialistic, etc...Some people really think its cool to be that way. Amazing...
Just about the perfect way to put it... you hit the nail on the head. I worked in the supermarkets for 7 years here, and dealing with the public so much, I certainly saw all the "gimme-gimme' types, and the phonies, and the wannabe "look at me, I'm important" people, who think that they're contributing SO much to society, by driving their big-ass SUV's, while drinking their venti-grande, jumba-jumba-whatever latte's, and gabbing for hours on their cellphones, with their menial drivel. In only a couple months, I could just "tell", when someone was being genuine, and when someone was not... and 9 times out of 10, the smiles and laughs and politenesses I saw were all fake and forced.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:11 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,218 times
LA would be a lot less crowded if all the folks who complained on this site about what a hell-hole it is would just leave already. We are "regular people" and we love it here. Don't make a lot of money. And find plenty of things to do that are free or almost so.

We don't get caught up in the fake part of LA; it's a fantasyland that we regard as an amusing backdrop to life in a vibrant, multicultural city. Those who want to try to be part of that world are willingly committing themselves to a fantasy, so it's no wonder that they are disappointed.

If you miss "the way things used to be," you'd probably be nostalgic and bitter no matter where you lived. How many cities do you think are just the way they were 30 or 50 years ago?

Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
We are "regular people" and we love it here. Don't make a lot of money. And find plenty of things to do that are free or almost so.

We don't get caught up in the fake part of LA; it's a fantasyland that we regard as an amusing backdrop to life in a vibrant, multicultural city. Those who want to try to be part of that world are willingly committing themselves to a fantasy, so it's no wonder that they are disappointed.

If you miss "the way things used to be," you'd probably be nostalgic and bitter no matter where you lived. How many cities do you think are just the way they were 30 or 50 years ago?
Well said! Positive reps for you, my friend.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:36 PM

202 posts, read 872,804 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsGirl View Post
I just had a revelation I had to share.

I read these forums, wondering why in the heck anyone would want to move here. I've lived here my whole life (40+ years), and I just want out of here.

I get it. I finally get it. CA is beautiful. The opportunities are seemingly endless. The lifestyle is varied and fun. I get it, finally.

But, I also understand why I am so unhappy here. I remember when rush hour only lasted an hour each way. I remember when the only "violence" at the public schools was a fist fight. I remember when the majority of homes were single family, on a large-ish lot. I remember when our communities were cohesive...people smiled at each other. Neighbors knew each other, and looked out for each other. It was never perfect, but it was slower and not so congested.

So, this is kind of an apology for negative comments I've made, but at the same time, an explanation. If you come here from another state, it seems really cool because...it's California. If you've lived here all your life, and you've seen your little town become congested and traffic afflicted, and the weather is all you enjoy, it's not worth it anymore. When you avoid driving, unless you absolutely have to, it's not worth it anymore. I've become very claustrophobic in the past few years due to the sheer number of condos and cars and people. I have a great view of the mountains, though. It's no longer worth it.

Now, to convince my husband that it's time to go.
I'm a Socal native and I feel the same as you. "It's the frog in the boiling water analogy"!

If you put a frog in room temp water and ever so gradually increase the temp, the frog doesn't notice, and it will actually die because the changes took place so slowly that it was unable to recognize how uncomfortable it was until it was dying. The frog gradually adopts a tolerance to the pain, in it's environment and learns to live with it.

One day you just wake up and "your like what the heck happened here"?

My Mom is in her fifty's and it took me a while to open her eyes to it. But now she totally gets it.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:31 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Try Arkansas. According to their forum a LOT of So Cal people are relocating there. According to the cost of living guide, there's a 44% increase of cost of living from L.A. to Ark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles