Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:25 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Yes, housing is a basic human right. Much like food, water, energy. What if the supermarkets started charging insane prices just because they could? Or the electric and gas utilities did the same?
Should thousands have to suffer and be on the street so a few greedy landlords can be worth, let's say $100 mil instead of $20 mil?
They're "needs", not "rights". And when you're stealing from someone else to provide for your "need", you're in the wrong. If you need a home, food, water and energy, go out and earn it.

Expecting to live somewhere they want to, instead of where they can afford to, makes them the greedy ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 03:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
No one said anything about free. There just needs to be limits on the price. Rent control. I believe that West Hollywood and Santa Monica's rent control of 1% or less is too strict. That does screw the landlords, and also any new tenants who have to pay more to cpmensate. But the city of LA and just recently Beverly Hills say 3%. That's fair. 3% a year is still a decent increase and more than covers any increase in expenses the LL has to incur.

If anything 3% is still harsh on the tenants, most of who do not see a 3% raise each year.
I bet you vote for every ballot measure that raises property taxes which is another reason landlords need to raise rents

Old 05-15-2017, 03:28 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
This old argument again. I happen to think that housing is a basic human right. Some people don't agree; I would call them heartless. Does the rental need to be a palace? No, of course not, but to kick long term tenants out by raising the rent 50% or 100% or even 200%...? No, that's just wrong. It's legal, but ethically and morally it's wrong. I don't care about an investor making double digit returns; these are people's homes. Many of them can't afford to go anywhere else, and they need to live close enough for public transportation to remain affordable, etc. It's not simply a matter of economics and "supply and demand". These are people's lives.
I disagree. It's not a basic human right. Please point out the source that cites this is so.
I think the solution is you should go out and buy rentals by selling your house, cashing out your assets and savings and retirement, and cover the cost of owning and running them, and give people cheap rent. Better yet you should give it to them for free to make sure they have their basic right. If you don't do this then you are heartless and then a hypocrite.
It's fine when you tell others who own the property how they handle it, but when it comes out of your pocket I'm sure it's a different song.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:31 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They're "needs", not "rights". And when you're stealing from someone else to provide for your "need", you're in the wrong. If you need a home, food, water and energy, go out and earn it.

Expecting to live somewhere they want to, instead of where they can afford to, makes them the greedy ones.
Seriously. I'd like to drop all of these whiny commies out into the wilderness with nothing but what's on their backs and see how long they survive. Life was never meant to be easy and some of us have been lucky to grow up in a place where it's been made to be very comfortable and too many people take that for granted. People live in the wilderness all over the world completely surviving on their own with no money, no government, no assistance from anyone and they don't complain. That's called freedom. Depending on some faceless government for everything you want or need is the opposite of freedom

Old 05-15-2017, 03:33 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Yes, housing is a basic human right. Much like food, water, energy. What if the supermarkets started charging insane prices just because they could? Or the electric and gas utilities did the same?
Should thousands have to suffer and be on the street so a few greedy landlords can be worth, let's say $100 mil instead of $20 mil?
Supermarkets can charge insane prices if they like, but no one will buy from them. Market laws of supply and demand governs what prices they can charge. The laws of supply and demand dictate what rents will be tolerated.
You would really enjoy the thread here on CD with the op saying water and electricity should be free. He has no answer on who would pay for it. He said these are basic human rights. He also says he likes to run the AC 24/7.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:35 PM

600 posts, read 566,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sure but they could also move to a more affordable place .
The landlord isn't holding a gun to their heads .
So just let them all move to texas to pay cheaper rent and watch the locals cry in protests.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:36 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
This thread reminds me of a couple of older guys in my building. I live in a relatively expensive area in the Valley. These guys have been here for decades and are constantly complaining that that rent has risen 5-700 dollars in 20 years!!!! Meanwhile, neither put much into a career retirement plan or savings, never had children, and somehow still only have Soc. Sec alone and EBT help for retirement income.
They claim they are being priced out by rent increases. I guess they were looking for sympathy, but instead I told them if the rent is not agreeable, they can move to the northern part of the Valley, get roommates, or move to a undesirable locale like East L.A. They're response to me was "well who wants to live over there?"

I read about the mom who wanted free government childcare. That was laughable too."

Certain things are a given......rents will increase, and each additional child will cost more money. Now one of those is preventable. The other may involve increasing ur skill set and hire-ability. But complaining will not change a thing

Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I bet you vote for every ballot measure that raises property taxes which is another reason landlords need to raise rents
That is funny coming from you as you explicitly stated you would have voted for Measure S if you lived in LA proper. That was one of the most ill-conceived measures on the local ballot in decades.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:51 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Supermarkets can charge insane prices if they like, but no one will buy from them. Market laws of supply and demand governs what prices they can charge. The laws of supply and demand dictate what rents will be tolerated.
You would really enjoy the thread here on CD with the op saying water and electricity should be free. He has no answer on who would pay for it. He said these are basic human rights. He also says he likes to run the AC 24/7.

We have a food surplus in this state and country. There is a housing shortage....

Supermarkets are near "perfect competition" while the LA housing market is more like "monopolistic competition"....where the owners are price makers.

Again, I am not for rent control but your theoretical ideal market is pie in the sky....

Old 05-15-2017, 04:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
You're a fool. The mentality is very simple to understand. It's expensive as hell. My mom pays 1,000 a month for 3 bedroom apartment close to Venice. She has every right and should be able to keep it that way. She's lived there a long time, why should she have to move?

The apartment is my childhood home. So many memories there. It's atrocious to think that she should get priced out over some greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles