Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
...But everyone should be happy to afford a middle class lifestyle...
That's true in Lake Wobegon where everyone is above average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:26 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They're "needs", not "rights".
There is no such thing as a "need." All that exist are wants and desires. No needs.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I can afford LA just fine.

But yeah, let's have everyone who can't afford LA leave immediately....sounds like a bad idea.

As I've stated, on balance I don't think rent control is a good idea but I think rental subsidies (Section 8) and/or other mechanisms for the provision of affordable housing such as the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) are beneficial to those who receive them as well as to society at large.
Yep. I've had prospective renters come look at my rentals in really nice Cadillac Escalades all tricked out with custom wheels and sound systems. Much nicer cars than I drive. After walking through they ask me if I accept section 8.

I've also had families come in driving beater cars where the husband works two jobs and the wife one and their teenage kids have part time jobs all working so they can pay for the rent NOT using sec 8.

Yep , rental subsidies help. Help people to sit on their butts and game the system.

I don't mind govt aid to help people in hard times to get back on their feet. But I don't think it should be a vehicle for people to not work forever. How does encouraging people to live off the taxpayers help society as a whole? I can't wait to here the answer on this one.

If you like it so much, how would you feel if all your neighbors were section 8? I bet you'd be singing a different tune if you lived in a neighborhood where no one worked and sat in front of their houses all day doing nothing while you worked. On the plus side I am sure they will watch over your house to make sure no one breaks in while you're away, right?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Yep. I've had prospective renters come look at my rentals in really nice Cadillac Escalades all tricked out with custom wheels and sound systems. Much nicer cars than I drive. After walking through they ask me if I accept section 8.

I've also had families come in driving beater cars where the husband works two jobs and the wife one and their teenage kids have part time jobs all working so they can pay for the rent NOT using sec 8.

Yep , rental subsidies help. Help people to sit on their butts and game the system.

I don't mind govt aid to help people in hard times to get back on their feet. But I don't think it should be a vehicle for people to not work forever. How does encouraging people to live off the taxpayers help society as a whole? I can't wait to here the answer on this one.

If you like it so much, how would you feel if all your neighbors were section 8? I bet you'd be singing a different tune if you lived in a neighborhood where no one worked and sat in front of their houses all day doing nothing while you worked. On the plus side I am sure they will watch over your house to make sure no one breaks in while you're away, right?
That's the thing . These programs were started with the intention to be temporary but then it became where people became lifers .

Old 05-15-2017, 10:07 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times
Adverse effects of rent control:
No economic incentive for landlords to make improvements to or maintain the property.
The few newly built apartments will be “luxury” apartments. There is no incentive to build low rent apartments. Some apartments will just be demolished and turned into business property, thus shrinking the supply of apartments.

If landlords are allowed to raise rents then tenants will economize by taking up less space. Rent control on the other hand encourages wasteful use of space. People will hold on to their rent controlled apartment when for example kids grow up and move out. Again this shrinks the supply of apartments.

Plus there's erosion of city revenues. As property values go down so does tax revenue.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:16 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:

For the able bodied there absolutely should be a work requirement to get Section 8.

Different story for the disabled and/or elderly but they also comprise the majority of the people on Section 8.

How does it help society?
1. Vouchers reduce homelessness and other hardships
2. Gives individuals and families an opportunity to move to safer, less-poor neighborhoods
3. Gives abled bodied households the chance to pay for other items like transportation and/or child care which allows them to go work (or job training courses to enhance their skills)

I used to live in a mixed-income development with a certain percent set aside for low-income residents including some units which were rented to Section 8 voucher holders. The building was well maintained and there were no major issues.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Still waiting to hear how you're going to foot part of her rent bill. Or is that not an option?
I pay her entire rent and my own.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
You should buy the apartment building and that way you can let her live there for whatever price you want. You can subsidize her. Wait, you can't afford it? Well go get another job or work harder. Not willing to do that? Well some landlord probably did while you sat on your butt. I own rentals and worked harder and sacrificed while friends I know didn't. Nope they didn't work overtime, didn't work a 2nd job. They just partied and watched TV while I worked. Now they all say how unfair it is that I own real estate and they don't. Well if you don't own it, you don't get to make decisions about it. You don't get to tell the owners to subsidize her either.
I'd love to live in Venice, but it's too expensive so I go with where I can afford. I can afford $1,000 for your Mom's apartment. Heck I can afford to pay double but I don't get to have an apartment because your Mom has it for $1,000. Why should she have a right to have that apartment over me? Because she lived there a long time? Good for her, she got to enjoy it for a long time at a cheap price. Now she should move and let somebody else enjoy it. It's not fair, I didn't get to live there at all so how about if she moves and gives me a chance to live there.
Oh wait-I get it-you're greedy and want the place for yourself for a super cheap price while others don't have a chance to live there. Silly me, it's only greed when it's someone else.
Wow man. You're really awesome! Good for you!

I don't know. There's more important things than money. The owner of the building seems to think that way. He purchased this building way before I was even born and he got his. He has his home, his vehicles, his family is taken care of. He doesn't ***** and moan like these other people. He realizes the importance of community and that's what we have here. An actual community. Even though there is rent control, he doesn't cry about it and treats us like actual living, breathing, human beings.

One of the gripes people have against LA is the lack of that sense of community in a lot of neighborhoods on the westside. It's mostly a revolving door of people. It's nice to having a few places where you still know people.

I'm a hard worker myself. I pay mine and my mom's rent. I'll be buying my first property next fall and I do intend on purchasing rental property. I will not approach it with greed. I've learned from the owner of the building how to properly treat people and I'll be carrying that over to my own ventures.

I seriously lose my faith in humanity every day. So many ice cold cut-throats.

You do you. I'll do me.

Last edited by The Illusive Man; 05-15-2017 at 11:18 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 11:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Wow man. You're really awesome! Good for you!

I don't know. There's more important things than money. The owner of the building seems to think that way. He purchased this building way before I was even born and he got his. He has his home, his vehicles, his family is taken care of. He doesn't ***** and moan like these other people. He realizes the importance of community and that's what we have here. An actual community. Even though there is rent control, he doesn't cry about it and treats us like actual living, breathing, human beings.

One of the gripes people have against LA is the lack of that sense of community in a lot of neighborhoods on the westside. It's mostly a revolving door of people. It's nice to having a few places where you still know people.

I'm a hard worker myself. I pay mine and my mom's rent. I'll be buying my first property next fall and I do intend on purchasing rental property. I will not approach it with greed. I've learned from the owner of the building how to properly treat people and I'll be carrying that over to my own ventures.

I seriously lose my faith in humanity every day. So many ice cold cut-throats.

You do you. I'll do me.
Of course he's not going to complain about how crappy rent control is to his tenants , but you really think he doesn't dream of the day his rent control tenants move out and he can make THOUSANDS more per month?

People can't pay market rent AND have an "actual community "?

You really think he would chose to subsidize your mother's rent if he had a choice ?

You say you are going to buy rental property but won't approach it with greed . What does that mean ?
Are you just going to run it as a non profit ?
Cap rates in decent parts of L.A are already below 5 percent even at market rents .
What kind of return to you expect to receive ? What return is "morally and ethically acceptable"?

Since you'll be buying property at historical highs right now you aren't going to be able to afford to give people any breaks on rent .

Old 05-15-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Of course he's not going to complain about how crappy rent control is to his tenants , but you really think he doesn't dream of the day his rent control tenants move out and he can make THOUSANDS more per month?

People can't pay market rent AND have an "actual community "?

You really think he would chose to subsidize your mother's rent if he had a choice ?

You say you are going to buy rental property but won't approach it with greed . What does that mean ?
Are you just going to run it as a non profit ?
Cap rates in decent parts of L.A are already below 5 percent even at market rents .
What kind of return to you expect to receive ? What return is "morally and ethically acceptable"?

Since you'll be buying property at historical highs right now you aren't going to be able to afford to give people any breaks on rent .
Money money money. Greed greed greed. That's all I gather from your text. Good for you buddy! You have it all figured out! Everything is numbers crunching.

He's got his. His family is set up for life. Whenever they want they can sell the property for millions.

No, I won't be running a non-profit and who says I'll be buying rentals in LA? That's out of my reach right now. I still have a lot of planning to do but I'll keep people in mind. I'm not coming into this to be filthy rich and have a mansion. I just want a modest home, adequate transportation and for my family to be fed and comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles