Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:50 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

Patrolman, have you or your colleagues ever celebrated the 4th of July by throwing flashbangs in the air? I'd do that if I had some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 03:32 AM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
That's odd. I called the LAFD and told me it was their responsibility. Of course, being an LAPD officer for 40 years, what do I know... other than being FOS, according to you. Despite the FOS remark, I still wish you a very Happy Fourth.
I would say, in answer to your question, you don't know much.

Just in case I got some jerk on the phone that doesn't know what he's talking about, I called them again.
I told the person on the line that I wanted to know who is responsible for enforcing the fire works laws in the city, that a retire policeman told me it was the fire department, and I didn't think so.
The dispatcher put me on hold, then a another person spoke to me, and he said," the fire department is not responsible for enforcing the law, that would be LAPD."
" If an occasion should arise where members of the fire department witness someone exploding fireworks, we could detain them, and notify LAPD to come and make an arrest."

This I believe is the way it is.
It only makes sense, the fire department is not law enforcement, the police are.

Bob.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I tried going through the police department protocol, and got nowhere.
Trying to set up a meeting with my local councilman is no better.

I have a very simple request for the chief, and that is, stop the use of illegal fireworks in this city.
It is part of the job he has sworn to do as chief.
Enforce the laws of this city, and illegal fireworks is one of those laws.

Last year it was like a war zone , especially before and after July 4th.
In my area, it starts in mid April, happens every night, until late September.

Last year I spent nearly $2000. trying to help my Shepherd cope with this useless fireworks exploding every ten minutes, and now here it is another year, and the same thing is happening.
No enforcement by the LAPD whats so ever.

My dog is so frightened and traumatized , he will not go out to relieve himself once it gets dark.
I have considered going before the city council with this complaint, but I would need more than just myself to make any impact.
All I get from LAPD is, budget restraints that don't allow for officers to go out and catch people using fireworks.
My response to that is, the city's priorities are unfocused.
The city council can vote two million dollars of tax payer money(WHICH THEY DID) for a slush fund to finance attorney fees for illegal aliens, but can't afford to pay twelve policemen to go out into the neighborhoods and arrest people using illegal fireworks.
My honest opinion is, a recall of some political figures within our city may well be forthcoming.
Recall is a rather long, drawn out affair, but it is ONE option that is open to we citizens of Los Angeles.

Bob.

Some people go to their vets and get a sedative for that day. It ducks as my dogs get very skittish with fireworks but there is no way you will be able to get any satisfaction in getting the OD to take action on stopping fireworks. Just not gonna happen. I don't care who you meet with.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
9 tips to keep pets safe amid 4th of July fireworks

Old 06-29-2017, 10:31 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
Quote:
I would say, in answer to your question, you don't know much.

Just in case I got some jerk on the phone that doesn't know what he's talking about, I called them again.
I told the person on the line that I wanted to know who is responsible for enforcing the fire works laws in the city, that a retire policeman told me it was the fire department, and I didn't think so.
The dispatcher put me on hold, then a another person spoke to me, and he said," the fire department is not responsible for enforcing the law, that would be LAPD."
" If an occasion should arise where members of the fire department witness someone exploding fireworks, we could detain them, and notify LAPD to come and make an arrest."

This I believe is the way it is.
It only makes sense, the fire department is not law enforcement, the police are.

Bob.
Thanks for the personal attack. I appreciate it. Your apology is accepted.

Are you talking about enforcing the fireworks ordinance or arresting the person/persons involved in the malfeasance? Be advised that certain members of the LAFD are peace officers (Inspectors & Investigators) and Investigators are armed, just like the LAPD. Did you speak to a police dispatcher, who is a cvilian, or a fire dispatcher, who is a sworn firefighter. I can see where you might not have gotten 100% correct information.

Despite all that, just be aware that the fireworks fiasco will continue whether you speak to Chief Beck, Mayor Garcetti, President Trump, or God. Despite fire and law enforcements best efforts, the illegal use of pyrotechnics is not going away. It's like expecting the CHP to stop and cite everyone exceeding the maximum speed limit. It's not going to happen.

Either accept it or plan an out-of-town vacation at that time of year.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:37 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Patrolman, have you or your colleagues ever celebrated the 4th of July by throwing flashbangs in the air? I'd do that if I had some.
I personally haven't and I worked every July 4th for 40 years. Celebrating in that manner would have gotten me some serious time off with no pay.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Thanks for the personal attack. I appreciate it. Your apology is accepted.

Are you talking about enforcing the fireworks ordinance or arresting the person/persons involved in the malfeasance? Be advised that certain members of the LAFD are peace officers (Inspectors & Investigators) and Investigators are armed, just like the LAPD. Did you speak to a police dispatcher, who is a cvilian, or a fire dispatcher, who is a sworn firefighter. I can see where you might not have gotten 100% correct information.

Despite all that, just be aware that the fireworks fiasco will continue whether you speak to Chief Beck, Mayor Garcetti, President Trump, or God. Despite fire and law enforcements best efforts, the illegal use of pyrotechnics is not going away. It's like expecting the CHP to stop and cite everyone exceeding the maximum speed limit. It's not going to happen.

Either accept it or plan an out-of-town vacation at that time of year.

Great advice.

OP, you will end up having a stroke over this and isn't going to change anything. Also you may be viewed as someone who has made some threatening remarks. You have a post where if you aren't embellishing sounds like you were making some veiled threats.

An out of town vacation would have been the perfect idea. I grew up in NY and in a mostly Italian neighborhood and they love fireworks. Fireworks are also illegal. My grandfather lived with us and couldn't stand the noise, so he would go away that week.....problem solved.

What you're attempting to do is going to be about as sucessful as someone on the Titatanic trying to bail the water out with a Dixie cup.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:45 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Something NONE of you seem to understand is, this is more than fireworks going off close to, and on the 4th of July.
Last year fireworks going off started in April, same as this year, and if like last year, will continue through September, and just about every night.

Obviously around the 2nd to the 5th, it is the worst, but each and every night fireworks are being heard throughout a half mile radius of my house.
I certainly can not keep the dog sedated for that long period of time.

I live in a hillside area, it is only a matter of time before a serious fire is started by these illegal fireworks.

Obviously none of you know me, so it is easy for you to say I will not be successful in seeing that the police pay more attention to arresting these fools who set these illegal fireworks off.
I have taken the city on before in others matters, and have been successful.
This will be no different.
The only difference will be, this will take longer, and more demand on my time, and involvement.

As I stated in another post, I contacted my councilman for my area, and his deputy said he would get right on it.
Obviously he has, because I received a voice mail from the lead officer I have been trying to reach for a week.
I will be calling him back shortly.
I fully expect to have a meeting with this lead officer, and again expect he will forward my concerns to the higher ups.
I have set a time limit as to when I will be taking aggressive action in the form of a recall petition.
I know the entire procedure involved in a recall, and how long it takes, but won't hesitate should the need arise.
Again, not knowing me, none of you have any idea how I get things accomplished within the framework of the law.

I don't expect much to happen in and around the 4th, as it is already to late to get anything accomplished, but in the months ahead, you can bet the farm, I WILL make an impact in how the LAPD handles enforcement of illegal fireworks.

If my early efforts are not successful, you can rest assured you will see evidence on all the television outlets in the city that a recall is being proposed,and is underway.
And as a matter of note, the chief of police may not be the only target of a recall.

What I need now are for pet, and hillside property owners to join in this endeavor.
I can do this alone, but the more people involved, the better the chances .
In the coming weeks, I will use the internet, as well as door to door canvassing, to make other pet owners, as well as hillside property owners aware that a campaign to demand the LAPD strictly enforce the illegal fireworks laws is underway.

Bob.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Does anyone know how to go about getting an appointment with the police chief?
I have a need to speak to the person in command, not some flunky desk sergeant.

Bob.
Than why are you on here asking us this?

If you yield so much power.

I understand your concerns, I really do. Especially regarding fires.

But I can just imagine how you talk on the phone to people. Your comments about the flunky desk sergeant and your comments towards Patrolman who is retired LAPD speaks volumes.

Speaking in a polite and calm manner and relating to people on a human level(and not talking down to them and using foul language) will get you further than the "let me speak to the manager" in the long run.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Something NONE of you seem to understand is, this is more than fireworks going off close to, and on the 4th of July.
Last year fireworks going off started in April, same as this year, and if like last year, will continue through September, and just about every night.

Obviously around the 2nd to the 5th, it is the worst, but each and every night fireworks are being heard throughout a half mile radius of my house.
I certainly can not keep the dog sedated for that long period of time.

I live in a hillside area, it is only a matter of time before a serious fire is started by these illegal fireworks.

Obviously none of you know me, so it is easy for you to say I will not be successful in seeing that the police pay more attention to arresting these fools who set these illegal fireworks off.
I have taken the city on before in others matters, and have been successful.
This will be no different.
The only difference will be, this will take longer, and more demand on my time, and involvement.

As I stated in another post, I contacted my councilman for my area, and his deputy said he would get right on it.
Obviously he has, because I received a voice mail from the lead officer I have been trying to reach for a week.
I will be calling him back shortly.
I fully expect to have a meeting with this lead officer, and again expect he will forward my concerns to the higher ups.
I have set a time limit as to when I will be taking aggressive action in the form of a recall petition.
I know the entire procedure involved in a recall, and how long it takes, but won't hesitate should the need arise.
Again, not knowing me, none of you have any idea how I get things accomplished within the framework of the law.

I don't expect much to happen in and around the 4th, as it is already to late to get anything accomplished, but in the months ahead, you can bet the farm, I WILL make an impact in how the LAPD handles enforcement of illegal fireworks.

If my early efforts are not successful, you can rest assured you will see evidence on all the television outlets in the city that a recall is being proposed,and is underway.
And as a matter of note, the chief of police may not be the only target of a recall.

What I need now are for pet, and hillside property owners to join in this endeavor.
I can do this alone, but the more people involved, the better the chances .
In the coming weeks, I will use the internet, as well as door to door canvassing, to make other pet owners, as well as hillside property owners aware that a campaign to demand the LAPD strictly enforce the illegal fireworks laws is underway.

Bob.
Try written complaints, list the number of time you call about a violation and who you spoke with, etc. Then if a fire starts, sue the city. They were aware and did nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles