Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:49 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,311,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeSFVHouses View Post
Every time I come to CD I get kind of bummed by how many disgruntled negative posts there are about LA on here. So much negativity seems to fly around on here. Kudos OP for posting something positive for a change.

I personally love LA. We came out more than a decade ago from the midwest (and I grew up in the south and northeast before there) and we're never going back. My parents wanted us to go back east when we got pregnant and we declined. Why? We're not rich by any means, and we have no family tying us here. Our careers could be done from elsewhere. So why wouldn't we jump on that?

Because we like the diversity. Our neighbors now are black, white, Filipino, and Latino and our friend base extends to a plethora of more backgrounds. Because we like the lack of humidity and the lack of mosquitos. Because we (err, actually I) didn't want to drive in the snow when I didn't want to. Because we like being able to have diverse things to do. I liked that I could do an underground fashion show and then go hiking in the mountains and not see a soul. And where else can you go to the beach on a Saturday and snowboarding on Sunday? I always feel like we're always on the brink of something new. Because we love the landscape. Because as a whole, out of these boards, there seems to be an optimism that you can become anyone you want and anything can be possible and all that manifest destiny type western spirit type hoo-rah that really gels with my vibe. This is my place.

Sure the city isn't perfect. No city is. But I love where I live and am proud to be able to call Los Angeles home.
OK. Here's something positive about LA:

It's better to live in LA than....Baltimore, Detroit, and Philadelphia.
Happy?

(Oh, and we still have mosquitos. And going to your outdoor activities even on the weekend will get you stuck in horrific traffic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 11:12 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
L.A may not be perfectly integrated but it is much more so than virtually any other city in the US except for maybe NYC and Honolulu

Old 07-08-2017, 11:17 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
1.)
In Los Angeles, millions immigrate here to live in the neighborhood that coincides with country they came from. (Koreatown, Chinatown, Little Ethiopia, Little Armenia, etc, etc....) This is NOT a positive trait,
Immigrants have done this as long as there has been an America.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:38 PM

19 posts, read 25,045 times
Mr. Disgruntled is bitter because he knows LA is awesome but he doesn't have the income or skills necessary to land a sweet paying job and enjoy all the dining and entertainment options that are available. LA is expensive. You have to be smart and successful. Those who aren't won't make it. That's how you become Disgruntled.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:00 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,109 times
Quote:
Every time I come to CD I get kind of bummed by how many disgruntled negative posts there are about LA on here. So much negativity seems to fly around on here. Kudos OP for posting something positive for a change.

I personally love LA. We came out more than a decade ago from the midwest (and I grew up in the south and northeast before there) and we're never going back. My parents wanted us to go back east when we got pregnant and we declined. Why? We're not rich by any means, and we have no family tying us here. Our careers could be done from elsewhere. So why wouldn't we jump on that?

Because we like the diversity. Our neighbors now are black, white, Filipino, and Latino and our friend base extends to a plethora of more backgrounds. Because we like the lack of humidity and the lack of mosquitos. Because we (err, actually I) didn't want to drive in the snow when I didn't want to. Because we like being able to have diverse things to do. I liked that I could do an underground fashion show and then go hiking in the mountains and not see a soul. And where else can you go to the beach on a Saturday and snowboarding on Sunday? I always feel like we're always on the brink of something new. Because we love the landscape. Because as a whole, out of these boards, there seems to be an optimism that you can become anyone you want and anything can be possible and all that manifest destiny type western spirit type hoo-rah that really gels with my vibe. This is my place.

Sure the city isn't perfect. No city is. But I love where I live and am proud to be able to call Los Angeles home.
Great post. Most LA residents ( I refuse to call them Angelenos) only really know the small part of LA where they live plus the freeway they take to get to work. I'm so lucky in that my work takes me all over the city on an almost daily basis. I'm intimately familiar with so many neighborhoods that many people will never see, and I always take time to soak it in. Whether it's a leisurely stroll down Larchmont Boulevard, sidewalk breakfast at the King's Head in Santa Monica, a quick stop at Amoeba Records in Hollywood or that lovely drive up PCH & through Topanga Canyon, LA has so much to offer. One just needs to get out and look around.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:11 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,877,770 times
If your happy in L.A don't let other people's negative views affect you,because everyone has their own preferences and the reality is some people love living in L.A and some don't.

Every place in this world has it's own set of problems,but in my opinion L.A's Positives outweigh the Negatives

Quote:

Old 07-08-2017, 05:06 PM

209 posts, read 220,272 times
Even on a 116K/year salary one still can't afford to purchase a nice home in L.A. --I'll pass, it's not worth moving there.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,311,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Great post. Most LA residents ( I refuse to call them Angelenos) only really know the small part of LA where they live plus the freeway they take to get to work. I'm so lucky in that my work takes me all over the city on an almost daily basis. I'm intimately familiar with so many neighborhoods that many people will never see, and I always take time to soak it in. Whether it's a leisurely stroll down Larchmont Boulevard, sidewalk breakfast at the King's Head in Santa Monica, a quick stop at Amoeba Records in Hollywood or that lovely drive up PCH & through Topanga Canyon, LA has so much to offer. One just needs to get out and look around.
Larchmont Blvd hasn't been leisurely since the 90s. All corporate chains now there too.

King's Head.. okay, if you wanna pay for trashy food surrounded by bums and drunk tourists.

Amoeba Records.. Everything's available now e lsewhere anyway. Who wants to deal w/Sunset and Vine and risk being stabbed by a mentally ill vagrant? At least in the old days you'd have a parking space.

PCH and Topanga... traffic HELL. ok, maybe there's no traffic at 4 am. But then you gotta deal with drunk Palisades teenagers speeding 100 mph. Nothing nice or relaxing about that.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:31 PM

1,122 posts, read 963,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I think CD should implement a new policy where your annual salary posts next to your username. I'd love to see what some people in this forum make.

CaliRestoration ($7 bazillion)
Juventas (-$1,650)
Good grief...seriously? I'm retired due to health issues but my husband makes good money as a Tug Boat Operator/Crew Chief out of Redondo Beach.

Now, who knows, he could easily lose his job so we take nothing for granted. I see many young people hurting and not being able to make it here. Rent is ridiculous - egads. No wonder why so many are moving home.

I know you were teasing about salaries but I would not be on any forum that did something like that anyway. It's private - (grin)

Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmyzees View Post
Near perfect weather, plethora of high income career opportunities, unlimited dining and entertainment options, a vibrant multicultural city full of diversity. I love LA. Only negatives are it's crowded and expensive. For good reason.
It'll be perfect if we just took away the horrendous traffic. I could tolerate all the other imperfections.

*Waits for self-driving cars to come to LA before returning...*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles