Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:33 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
jm1982 for Governor.
I take it I have your vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, and if you're going to complain than do something about what is bothering you. As you said go volunteer, spend a Saturday cleaning up an area, donate some money,etc.

Just an example, I know someone who does a lot in regards to getting things like trash, old couches, etc that get dumped as well as getting graffitti removed. This person takes action and gets results, I was with them when a woman was COMPLAINING about a homeless encampment in Echo Park. This wasn't her first time complaining about to whoever will listen. He said to her "take some pictures and email me and I will see what I can do", she never did it. I just asked him did she ever get back to you, of course not, in fact he said at the time "she won't take the pictures".

Some people just like to complain and aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.
So I should go clean up the Orange Line bike path ? and get attacked by the violent homeless? Also I already "donate money" in the form of paying taxes to the corrupt city.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, and if you're going to complain than do something about what is bothering you. As you said go volunteer, spend a Saturday cleaning up an area, donate some money,etc.

Just an example, I know someone who does a lot in regards to getting things like trash, old couches, etc that get dumped as well as getting graffitti removed. This person takes action and gets results, I was with them when a woman was COMPLAINING about a homeless encampment in Echo Park. This wasn't her first time complaining about to whoever will listen. He said to her "take some pictures and email me and I will see what I can do", she never did it. I just asked him did she ever get back to you, of course not, in fact he said at the time "she won't take the pictures".

Some people just like to complain and aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.
You're right, I hear people whine all the time about stuff but when you try to nail them down as to what they have done about it, it's usually *crickets* or they say "well once I called the Police", my response, don't call the police go in person and ask for the watch commander, take notes of the conversation, if there was a promise that they would do something follow up and if they failed to do what they promised go to the police
chief or the sheriff, if you don't get results then go to the next city council meeting. It works, it just takes some commitment

Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So I should go clean up the Orange Line bike path ? and get attacked by the violent homeless? Also I already "donate money" in the form of paying taxes to the corrupt city.
No, but you could report it to the police and if they don't do anything then go up the chain of command until you get results.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,946,275 times
I would contact the Metro Board of Directors and file a complaint. Fortunately, Eric Garcetti and Mike Bonin are members of the Board.

Oh, on second thought, never mind...

Old 07-18-2017, 11:55 PM

For those saying I should report it or "go up the chain of command"

This issue didn't start this month, this year or even this decade.

Bottom line is the city just doesn't care, no matter what lip service they say about , "working on solutions" .

Article here from 2009 about this being an issue.
Orange Line Bike Path Turning into Mini Skid Row: LAist

Old 07-19-2017, 04:36 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
You people saying the solution is to file a complaint or something have no idea what you're typing about.

In my neighborhood we had a mentally deranged squatter. I filed three official complaints at the 311 website, and my neighbors complained via telephone to the city as well as the LAPD directly and via email. None of these actions did anything to get him out of the neighborhood and the only reason he's no longer here is that he died of natural causes.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
You people saying the solution is to file a complaint or something have no idea what you're typing about.

In my neighborhood we had a mentally deranged squatter. I filed three official complaints at the 311 website, and my neighbors complained via telephone to the city as well as the LAPD directly and via email. None of these actions did anything to get him out of the neighborhood and the only reason he's no longer here is that he died of natural causes.
Yes , I have done similar things and received the same poor results from the city on various issues .

Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
The homeless have all kinds of legal protection. Cleaning up bad areas like this just isn't going to happen until these problems are addressed at all levels of government with real, long term solutions. Get rid of homeless encampments? I'm all in favor of that - but just where are these people supposed to go? I know, somewhere we don't see them, so it's not our problem, right? That's how skid row functioned for years until gentrification took over Downtown L.A. The numbers of homeless people are growing, so they're more visible now, and this trend is not going to reverse itself. There are too many baby boomers who have no support system at all, and no real retirement money saved.

One step in the right direction would be to bring back the state mental hospitals; many people on the streets need to be monitored to make sure they're taking their anti-psychotic medication.

I often wonder what visitors think of our lovely city, that these problems are so visible and blatant, and yet nothing has been done to solve them. By the way, I voted "no" on the proposition to help the homeless a few months ago, because I felt it didn't go far enough - and the NIMBYs ("Not in my back yard!") would never go for such housing being anywhere near them. The money will be wasted on lawsuits, and it will take forever to see any real results.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post

What do you mean by 'squatter'? was he homeless on the streets or illegally occupying someone's home? And while I commend you and your neighbors for reporting it, it doesn't seem like you took the next step of going up the chain of the command and if that doesn't work go to City Council meetings with your neighbors and notify the media in advance that you will all be there. I know it works because I worked in the public sector long enough to have learned what works and what doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles