Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:36 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm guessing they are thinking in terms of long time rent controlled tenants or those on Section 8 or maybe trust funders?
Exactly. Lots of old time rent controlled people in both WeHo and SM. Lot of them angry, bitter, on gov assistance.
"Trust funders" too who aren't much better. especially in SM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 04:47 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,949 times
Default few still exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
WeHo and SM are too expensive for those folk nowadays.
Santa Monica still has rent control. My gf lives exactly one mile from the ocean (20-minute walk) in a very large two bedroom for 1000.

They are trying like mad to get rid of her but I don't think they can. Neighbors (new) are paying 2600.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:24 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post
Santa Monica still has rent control. My gf lives exactly one mile from the ocean (20-minute walk) in a very large two bedroom for 1000.

They are trying like mad to get rid of her but I don't think they can. Neighbors (new) are paying 2600.
They'll figure it out. I think the trend is that landlords kick out the tenants if they are going to live in the unit themselves so landlords are doing that for a short time and then re-renting at market rates. But that's why rent control is ridiculous. People either want a free market or they don't

Old 09-14-2017, 05:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Exactly. Lots of old time rent controlled people in both WeHo and SM. Lot of them angry, bitter, on gov assistance.
Angry, because envy and because they want more and feel they deserve more.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
If you are not motivated then you won't last long in LA these days.
And the same was true in 1988 when I moved here after college.

Like any big city, you need to motivate yourself.

It can still be done.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY_ME View Post

$2600 for a very large 2 bedroom a mile from the beach in SM sounds cheap these days.

Are the neighbors in the same size unit?

Old 09-14-2017, 05:50 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I have a relative moving to LA. I told them stay away from unmotivated people, since their community in NC was full of a certain type of people.. people who bake cakes all the time, smoke, sit around at the building entrance talking and play bingo etc. What are some particular areas characterized by busy, driven lifestyles? Or maybe it's not very busy, but where happy upbeat people live and work? For example in Nyc I would say this is 7th avenue.

I think this is the first time I posted to west coast people, so I feel strange almost like I initiated ET contact.
Why didn't you ask where there are UNMOTIVATED people in LA? Knowing that will help you to figure out where the others are. Also, look at RE prices.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
$2600 for a very large 2 bedroom a mile from the beach in SM sounds cheap these days.

Are the neighbors in the same size unit?
$2600 would be cheap for a 1 bedroom in SM, let alone a 2 bedroom. Unless they got in under rent control

Old 09-14-2017, 07:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Why didn't you ask where there are UNMOTIVATED people in LA? Knowing that will help you to figure out where the others are. Also, look at RE prices.
Well, unmotivated people is everywhere in LA. Rich neighborhoods and poor and everything in between. LA is a city of lazy deadbeats. And part time workers.

Look at traffic. All the time now because people just drive around at all hours. Also, Monday and Fridays are a little lighter then T/W/R because the lazy people have 4 day weekends every weekend.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:28 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
LOL.. What's wrong with being a trust funder in SM? I've never understood the angst some people have with
Trust funders. Sounds like nothing more than sour grapes. I wonder if I told the banks and businesses that I help support by utilizing their services that my money comes from a trust fund.. they'd decline my business??
News flash.... They don't care where the money comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles