Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:05 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Which part of LA has the most driven or passionate people?.
LA is such a huge and diverse place that no matter where you go, you will find all types of people. There isnt any "part of LA that has most driven...." people. You can find extraordinarily driven and passionate people in the poorest of areas, and find the laziest do-nothing people in the most super affluent areas. So, location isnt really a big deal, but its who you choose to associate with that will make the biggest difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 05:44 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In which part of SM are there a lot of people receiving government entitlements?
The rent controlled apartments. So really all over SM. Even the north end has a lot of rent controlled apt on San Vicente between ocean and 7th. Plenty on Idaho, Washington, California. Even more in the Pico/Ocean Park area.

Yes, I've been acquainted with hundreds of wealthy people over my life time. Thousands of people in general. Haven't you?

Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
The rent controlled apartments. So really all over SM. Even the north end has a lot of rent controlled apt on San Vicente between ocean and 7th. Plenty on Idaho, Washington, California. Even more in the Pico/Ocean Park area.

Yes, I've been acquainted with hundreds of wealthy people over my life time. Thousands of people in general. Haven't you?
No definitely not that many. That's impressive. I've ever met a handful of trust fund kids. They have it made. Who wouldn't want that life?

Old 09-22-2017, 12:28 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,310,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
No definitely not that many. That's impressive. I've ever met a handful of trust fund kids. They have it made. Who wouldn't want that life?
I agree. A lot of them "work" but its often something part time that indulges their creative side (but doesn't pay) or they screw around in the family business.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:24 AM

1,047 posts, read 727,108 times
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
$2600 for a very large 2 bedroom a mile from the beach in SM sounds cheap these days.

Are the neighbors in the same size unit?
Yes, but these are not high end apts. Just very average w old appliances. No dishwasher. Maybe landlord puts new one in the 2600. apts.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:29 AM

Like I said before, it is hard to know who is driven b/c your life is inside a car and that is where many deals will be made. Downtown LA has a lot of new highrises. Center of Hollywood is touristy so feels busy. There is a business district in Centruty City & in Santa Monica. Which is not close to the beach but close enough. They have also recently built huge companies in Venice and Santa Monica near the beach. I'd bike to work if you lived there b/c traffic is at a standstill. Cars are too cheap now and nobody will use public transit in LA. Car-obsessed town.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:55 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Cars are too cheap now and nobody will use public transit in LA. Car-obsessed town.
So I must have been hallucinating while riding the Expo Line today and it was standing-room-only....

Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,100,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So I must have been hallucinating while riding the Expo Line today and it was standing-room-only....
Only those that have never experienced LA's public transit will claim no one uses it.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That is great if you saw this in LA. I wish more would use it. I only knew people that ever used public transit there if their license was suspended for 6 months from too many speeding tickets. Perhaps you work directly in downtown. Their system there is still not up to par unless you live in a specific area and going to one. Many are still several miles away from the train in LA. So w the price of an uber and train many think might as well use own car. I know many that have multiple cars as well. LA would not be ranked # 1 in traffic in USA if I was wrong. I am happy you are doing the right thing w public transit.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:26 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Only those that have never experienced LA's public transit will claim no one uses it.
I have used it and LA is still # 1 for traffic in USA. And like I said to another, every place I lived was several miles from the train station. If you use buses go for it. I preferred the clean trains. But was not convenient to use regularly. I lived in Los Feliz and was nearly 3 miles from the train on Hollywood Blvd. Not something I can do daily. I also lived near Beverly Hills and the closest train was in Culver City. That is insane. If you use a freeway you know it is a stand still most of the time. The reason the trains looked packed is b/c there are not enough of them. Glad you use
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles