Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,512,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Amazon isn't exactly known for good pay or treating employees well. But Raleigh is an affordable up and coming area. Redhat is based there and they are one of the biggest tech companies. They also have a growing Indian population due to tech jobs already there and that will make it easier to recruit Indian programmers and IT workers
I believe I read the jobs would pay over $100k on average at HQ but don't know what they pay compared to the other tech companies . I know they pay their warehouse workers pretty low .

I have heard amazon doesn't treat employees too well . I guess they say the culture isn't great but I don't know if anything has changed .. I don't know anyone that works for them .
I was reading the book about the founding of Amazon and Bezos sounds like he wouldn't of been to great a person to work for at least personality wise .
It is amazing what he built though with Amazon . Everyone thought he was crazy to leave a high paying career to sell books on the internet .

I know they have the whole research triangle in that area too so makes sense they might pick there .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:08 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,884,224 times
In my opinion...I think somewhere in Texas,Georgia or Florida will get The Amazon HQ2....I even think Amazon wants their new headquarters with more reliable weather conditions,so I don't think the Northeast or Midwest is gonna win this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It has a lot to do with geographic location as a hub in the Eastern or Central time zones will be more advantageous to Amazon's customers than a second hub in the Pacific time zone.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Just what we need to make rents go further through the roof and adding further to traffic congestion and street closures during construction.

Next San Francisco here we come.
We saw the list in our paper this am: I was thinking a couple of things: one, just what you are saying, watch prices go up even higher and second, with taxes what they are and the cost of living It seems unlikely L.A. will be the final choice. It is more like the decision will come down to a southern state, but one that is growing like Nashville or Atlanta.

BPT111; I think you are overlooking the COL for one thing. It is great for those who will be at the top of Amazon pay scale, but there will be a lot of people being hired that will not be able to handle the COl. for starters. For people like you, CA is a dream come true, for many this is not the case.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,005,822 times
That's what people don't realize. The vast majority of these jobs will not be Senior Software Engineers making $150,000/year. Those will be 0.01% of the jobs.

Most will be entry level logistics people making $55,000/year or jobs on that level.

You want someone making $55,000/year trying to scrape by in LA, living in the hood, dodging bullets on their way to work? How does that even make sense.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:07 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,592,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
That's what people don't realize. The vast majority of these jobs will not be Senior Software Engineers making $150,000/year. Those will be 0.01% of the jobs.

Most will be entry level logistics people making $55,000/year or jobs on that level.

You want someone making $55,000/year trying to scrape by in LA, living in the hood, dodging bullets on their way to work? How does that even make sense.

You're wrong. I touched on why you're wrong in a previous post, though not in any depth, but...you're wrong. 100%, totally, completely, utterly, thoroughly, exhaustively wrong.

Amazon's HQ in Seattle is nothing but brogrammers making well into the 6 figures. Most of the people I know who work there and have managed to survive at least 4 years are multi-millionaires. That's what this new HQ will be bringing to the table. There are no customer support jobs there (so the post about "being convenient for customers" is wrong). There's no warehouse up there (so the post about "reliable weather" is wrong). It's devs, managers, data scientists, leaders, and thought workers with the necessary support staff to make it all work. The end. It's people managing search, building out Alexa, Kindle, AWS management, their content production staff. Amazon doesn't even hire "warm body" devs - their interview process is positively grueling. Their workers are expensive to start, and because Amazon expects so much of them, they're very highly compensated.

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Wrong. It seems very few people here have any actual understanding of what SLU does, or why the HQ2 will simply be an extension of SLU.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You're wrong. I touched on why you're wrong in a previous post, though not in any depth, but...you're wrong. 100%, totally, completely, utterly, thoroughly, exhaustively wrong.

Amazon's HQ in Seattle is nothing but brogrammers making well into the 6 figures. Most of the people I know who work there and have managed to survive at least 4 years are multi-millionaires. That's what this new HQ will be bringing to the table. There are no customer support jobs there (so the post about "being convenient for customers" is wrong). There's no warehouse up there (so the post about "reliable weather") is wrong. It's devs, managers, data scientists, leaders, and thought workers with the necessary support staff to make it all work. The end. Amazon doesn't even hire "warm body" devs - their interview process is positively grueling. Their workers are expensive to start, and because Amazon expects so much of them, they're very highly compensated.

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Wrong. It seems very few people here have any actual understanding of what SLU does, or why the HQ2 will simply be an extension of SLU.
I honestly don't know what HQ2 is going to be for. Haven't worked for another company in over 15 years, and I'm 3 months from exiting the one I co-founded nearly 10 years ago (double trigger exit). So I admit I haven't been tossing around resumes for top tech companies recently.

If what you say is true, then why isn't Silicon Valley on the list, and 50,000 "Brogrammers"?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:29 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,835,272 times
Quote:

Amazon's HQ in Seattle is nothing but brogrammers making well into the 6 figures. Most of the people I know who work there and have managed to survive at least 4 years are multi-millionaires. That's what this new HQ will be bringing to the table. There are no customer support jobs there (so the post about "being convenient for customers" is wrong). There's no warehouse up there (so the post about "reliable weather" is wrong). It's devs, managers, data scientists, leaders, and thought workers with the necessary support staff to make it all work. The end. It's people managing search, building out Alexa, Kindle, AWS management, their content production staff. Amazon doesn't even hire "warm body" devs - their interview process is positively grueling. Their workers are expensive to start, and because Amazon expects so much of them, they're very highly compensated.

Exactly. Amazon already has warehouses and customer service centers all over the country and all over the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Amazon_locations

If they were shipping everything out of their headquarters in Seattle how would they be getting things to people on the east coast next day not to mention the same day delivery options. As for customer service, the bulk of it is handled in India or other parts of asia with cheap labor like every other company does these days.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Exactly. Amazon already has warehouses and customer service centers all over the country and all over the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Amazon_locations

If they were shipping everything out of their headquarters in Seattle how would they be getting things to people on the east coast next day not to mention the same day delivery options. As for customer service, the bulk of it is handled in India or other parts of asia with cheap labor like every other company does these days.
Xanathos seems to be mistaken or telling a bit of a fib IMO.

Amazon has claimed HQ2 will have 50,000 jobs. They can't all be Senior Software Brogrammers.

Google's Mountain View campus only has 11,000 staff.

So Xanathos is claiming that Amazon needs 5 times that amount of technical staff for it's second HQ?

Doesn't make any sense. Some of those jobs will certainly be support jobs.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:34 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,576,243 times
Amazon has said multiple times that it will have the same type of positions as HQ1 which is currently thought to be home to 40,000 employees. No clue what they have there now but this will be the same/similar.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...q-2/640861001/

Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Just a quick perusal of Amazon's available jobs for their Seattle campus, and I found 161 support jobs.

Have you actually worked at Amazon in Seattle? Or are you hearing from a friend of a friend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles