Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:37 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

I don't think wealthier or higher income people moving into an area is a bad thing . A high concentration of poor folks is what keeps places ghetto. Not every poor person is ghetto , but unfortunately the ghetto areas have high concentrations of low income .

You need a decent mix of income levels to support decent retail.

I think I might of seen the same episode of flip or flop and was surprised Long Beach prices were that high too . Keep in mind in regards to the numbers they show for flipping sometimes they don't take into costs like real estate commissions , closing costs and the costs to borrow money .
If you are flipping a house you need to usually get a hard money loan . Those costs like 2-5 points and about 12 percent a year . So every month you are paying 1 percent of the whole price just in interest .

There are already some programs that allow homeowners to buy before investors . The first look program .
People can also flip their own home nothing stopping them but most people don't want to do that they want something move in ready .

I think banning investors is a bad idea . It's these investors that improve properties and thus are helping to improve neighborhoods. The government isn't going to do that . We already have the government control on private property with rent control which has been a failure to make the city more affordable . It's failed in NYC and SF too . These are all the most expensive cities to live in yet have the strongest rent controls .

Regarding working people to do the jobs it's supply and demand . There is no shortage of people to do the jobs at the lower skill level . It's at the higher end businesses struggle to find talent .

Regarding prices creating more homeless families . I hear this a lot but , if you saw the way prices were rising wouldn't you get your family to an affordable city asap ? Lots of places in the country you can pay 1/2 the amount in housing or less and get by decently on low pay work .
Many of these places actually have decent economies too .

There are affordable parts of CA still as it's a big state . The Central Valley is still pretty affordable . People shouldn't be expecting they can live in Beverly Hills or West L.A making minimum wage .
Affordable housing is just a carrot the politicians use to keep people voting for them
There will never be enough affordable housing in L.A to meet demand , it'll always be like winning a lotto or raffle .
We can't afford to build housing for anyone in the world that wants to live cheaply in L.A

Also I've said it before , but people that can't buy in L.A should be looking to invest in property out of state and gain cash flow and equity . Historically real estate has been an amazing wealth generator.
Research and look for areas that are growing. You can then use that income and equity towards a home in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:46 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think banning investors is a bad idea .
I agree. One must remember that most of the derelict homes we're talking about are in such poor condition that financing is not available. That means the investor has to pay cash and also pay cash for the improvements. This is generally not possible for typical home buyers. If the "flippers" didn't buy these homes, nobody probably could.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Compton is definitely pretty solid. I drove through it the other day and it has cleaned up a lot. I certainly wouldn't mind living there.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:08 PM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
It may not be that bad if you happen to be black. But for white people you had better not let the sun set on your back.
Perhaps. Whites would likely only be beat and robbed though, whereas blacks not from there could be mistaken for a rival and face worse. Like someone else said, wear the wrong color in the wrong spot (or even yankees gear potentially?) and you're f'd up. Same here in chicago.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 AM

152 posts, read 165,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Wear red or blue and come back and give an update on how it went.
I wore both actually, and have also done so at night, ........still pretty peaceful.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
It may not be that bad if you happen to be black. But for white people you had better not let the sun set on your back.
I'm not black, I'm Italian, but I look pretty white, if someone saw me walking down the road, they would think I'm an ordinary white person, still everyone I walk by on a daily basis in Compton looks at me like I'm any other ordinary person. also, Lynwood is actually pretty safe now. the crime in Lynwood has gone way down.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquildreamer95 View Post
I'm not black, I'm Italian, but I look pretty white, if someone saw me walking down the road, they would think I'm an ordinary white person, still everyone I walk by on a daily basis in Compton looks at me like I'm any other ordinary person. also, Lynwood is actually pretty safe now. the crime in Lynwood has gone way down.
What would an "ordinary white person" be?

Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What would an "ordinary white person" be?
what I mean is that I look plain white, I fit the description of what people usually refer to as white, I have lighter skin, hair, eyes etc.

yeah I grew up being a minority living in southern LA, it was an experience.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquildreamer95 View Post
what I mean is that I look plain white, I fit the description of what people usually refer to as white, I have lighter skin, hair, eyes etc.

yeah I grew up being a minority living in southern LA, it was an experience.
This chart represents LA County. How the heck were you a minority at a number of 52.4% ?

Race and ancestry

Population, race, and income (2011)

Total population 9,787,747

White[21] 5,126,367 52.4%

Black or African American[ 844,048 8.6%

American Indian or Alaska Native 49,329 0.5%

Asian 1,347,782 13.8%

Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander 26,310 0.3%

Some other race 2,064,759 21.1%

Two or more races 329,152 3.4%

Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 4,644,328 47.5%

Per capita income $27,954

Old 01-21-2018, 01:26 AM

823 posts, read 1,056,189 times
Jack Travern, the chart given is for the whole of LA County, but the 2010 census figures for South LA were 64% Latino and 31.5% African American. In 1990, the figure was around 50% black and 44% Latino. Either way, if you were white in South LA, you were in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles