Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 01:08 AM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But where would we put it? Nobody would want hobo shacks in their neighborhood, due to the crazy behavior, the drug use, the smell, the pedophiles peeping in kid's bedrooms, etc. We already have free housing for the homeless in various areas and the neighboring residential property owners are furious over it.
I don't know, that's why I mentioned the area being already overpopulated. Also, I don't live there. Haven't visited since the late 80's. It was very built up back then so I have absolutely no idea what it must look like now. I don't know if there are any unincorporated areas that could be used like what Denver is doing. It's a complex problem, not just for LA but for a lot of cities in the state.

I've seen the encampments under the freeways here in northern California and it's bad. I can't imagine what it must be like there. I can only surmise by your using "hobo shacks" in your comment, you didn't bother to view the news story video. These are very nice. They're clean, albeit small. But how much room does a person who has nothing need? A roof over their head and a bed to sleep in. I thought it was a positive solution and one that might work here in California. I guess we're too busy working on high speed rail, water tunnels, building and improving sports arenas or luxury high rise units for the wealthy moving into the state.

I'm sure of one thing, though. There are plenty of homeless individuals who would like to get out of their situation but can't seem to get a leg up. I thought that maybe something like these tiny houses would work for those who really want out of their situation. For others who are on their last leg, I don't have an answer because I can't make sense of it. If it's mental illness they suffer with, that I can understand. Sorry to say but I almost wish we had involuntary commitment to get them help, but you can't force someone to be committed. Same for those addicted but I'm also confused as to how someone without money seem to have enough to buy drugs. I wish there was an easy solution but there isn't. I'd like to think that city leaders will come up with a successful solution but I think it's only going to get worse with the income gap widening.

I hope your city comes up with a viable plan soon, otherwise the problem will only continue to get larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I've seen the encampments under the freeways here in northern California and it's bad. I can't imagine what it must be like there. I can only surmise by your using "hobo shacks" in your comment, you didn't bother to view the news story video. These are very nice. They're clean, albeit small. But how much room does a person who has nothing need? A roof over their head and a bed to sleep in. I thought it was a positive solution and one that might work here in California.
Thank you for your suggestions, HOM. It's nice to see some helpful ideas on this thread, as opposed to the multiple posts about how awful the homeless are.

Once again, for anyone who does not understand how difficult this problem is (including for CHILDREN who are homeless), please read Steve Lopez's book The Soloist.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:53 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But where would we put it? Nobody would want hobo shacks in their neighborhood, due to the crazy behavior, the drug use, the smell, the pedophiles peeping in kid's bedrooms, etc. We already have free housing for the homeless in various areas and the neighboring residential property owners are furious over it.
Maybe it's time to quit the hand wringing about what won't work and think out of the box and find solutions that do work, like Modesto is doing: https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article226465300.html

Old 05-03-2019, 08:47 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
I don't know, that's why I mentioned the area being already overpopulated. Also, I don't live there. Haven't visited since the late 80's. It was very built up back then so I have absolutely no idea what it must look like now. I don't know if there are any unincorporated areas that could be used like what Denver is doing. It's a complex problem, not just for LA but for a lot of cities in the state.

I've seen the encampments under the freeways here in northern California and it's bad. I can't imagine what it must be like there. I can only surmise by your using "hobo shacks" in your comment, you didn't bother to view the news story video. These are very nice. They're clean, albeit small. But how much room does a person who has nothing need? A roof over their head and a bed to sleep in. I thought it was a positive solution and one that might work here in California. I guess we're too busy working on high speed rail, water tunnels, building and improving sports arenas or luxury high rise units for the wealthy moving into the state.

I'm sure of one thing, though. There are plenty of homeless individuals who would like to get out of their situation but can't seem to get a leg up. I thought that maybe something like these tiny houses would work for those who really want out of their situation. For others who are on their last leg, I don't have an answer because I can't make sense of it. If it's mental illness they suffer with, that I can understand. Sorry to say but I almost wish we had involuntary commitment to get them help, but you can't force someone to be committed. Same for those addicted but I'm also confused as to how someone without money seem to have enough to buy drugs. I wish there was an easy solution but there isn't. I'd like to think that city leaders will come up with a successful solution but I think it's only going to get worse with the income gap widening.

I hope your city comes up with a viable plan soon, otherwise the problem will only continue to get larger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Thank you for your suggestions, HOM. It's nice to see some helpful ideas on this thread, as opposed to the multiple posts about how awful the homeless are.

Once again, for anyone who does not understand how difficult this problem is (including for CHILDREN who are homeless), please read Steve Lopez's book The Soloist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe it's time to quit the hand wringing about what won't work and think out of the box and find solutions that do work, like Modesto is doing: https://www.modbee.com/news/local/article226465300.html
Yes, thanks to Mars for adding something of worth to this thread where a faction of repetitive contributors are focused solely on ridicule, denigration, myths, condemnations, fear-mongering, and suggestions for illegal “solutions” ... and even advocacy for violence against the homeless. These “vigilantes” appear to be amused and entertained in their efforts, while contributing not one whiff of support for legal, affordable problem-solving.

Shame.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Thank you. I'm not sure how much good it does but I know that constant complaining about something does no one any good. I've not read the book but will see if it's available on Scribd.

I can only imagine what this is like for children. Their brief life experience is one of living on the streets. That is truly heartbreaking.

Quote:
It was a good idea until a fire destroyed a number of those tents in April. According to officials, the fire started due to someone using a propane heater inside a tent. https://www.modbee.com/news/article229207789.html This is a good reason why I think the tiny homes would work better. They're a bit more insulated.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I'm not sure how much good it does but I know that constant complaining about something does no one any good. I've not read the book but will see if it's available on Scribd.

I can only imagine what this is like for children. Their brief life experience is one of living on the streets. That is truly heartbreaking.

It was a good idea until a fire destroyed a number of those tents in April. According to officials, the fire started due to someone using a propane heater inside a tent. https://www.modbee.com/news/article229207789.html This is a good reason why I think the tiny homes would work better. They're a bit more insulated.
I understand but I don't think a fire makes it a 'bad idea', tiny houses cost far more than those structures. Another solution that isn't mentioned much are freight containers, cut in doors and windows and separate the container into 3 units. Used storage containers are cheaper than tiny houses and sturdier than tent housing.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes, thanks to Mars for adding something of worth to this thread where a faction of repetitive contributors are focused solely on ridicule, denigration, myths, condemnations, fear-mongering, and suggestions for illegal “solutions” ... and even advocacy for violence against the homeless. These “vigilantes” appear to be amused and entertained in their efforts, while contributing not one whiff of support for legal, affordable problem-solving.

Shame.
I'm pretty sure that's nothing new. The only difference now is that, thanks to internet, random people can post their negativity for the rest of the world to see. As my dad used to say, Stop your damn whining and do something about it. Frankly, if my dad was alive today, he'd be working on a real solution and attending city council meetings to share his ideas. That's what that generation did, though. After you've lived through the Great Depression, you know what it's like to scrape and claw your way back.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I understand but I don't think a fire makes it a 'bad idea', tiny houses cost far more than those structures. Another solution that isn't mentioned much are freight containers, cut in doors and windows and separate the container into 3 units. Used storage containers are cheaper than tiny houses and sturdier than tent housing.
Of course. I'm not arguing with you. I'm not knowledgeable about the cost of either. I was only sharing what Denver is doing and then to update on what happened in Modesto. I'm stepping off now and will leave the experts to carry on.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Of course. I'm not arguing with you. I'm not knowledgeable about the cost of either. I was only sharing what Denver is doing and then to update on what happened in Modesto. I'm stepping off now and will leave the experts to carry on.
I'm no expert and I'm glad you are discussing this, I think the more people who contribute to a real discussion the better the chances are that some workable solutions might come out of it.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
What has happened with that in Denver?

The tiny home village was originally in an industrial area. That industrial area gentrified into "loft apartments" and "breweries" for guys with big beards. It is nearly unrecognizable from even 5-7 years ago. Out the tiny home village goes...

...into the Globeville neighborhood in Denver. The people over there aren't happy about it. Globeville is a working (at best) neighborhood that has been on the radar for gentrification for over a decade now, and it still hasn't happened; I think they only chose Globeville because there really isn't anywhere else left to put it, and they want to keep the "feel good" going so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles