Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 AM

827 posts, read 660,659 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your reply, But they are both true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The first recorded incident of homelessness seems to be depicted in an ancient hieroglyphic which seems to show a caveman ingesting a mushroom, followed by his mate kicking him out of their cave. He's then depicted as wandering around the area and harassing other cave people who just wanted to be left alone. So there ya go.
This ^

Old 05-07-2019, 08:48 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Thank you for your reply, But they are both true.
It’s easy to say things off the top of one’s head, Mike. Not so easy to back up with facts.

Here’s an idea for you: learn your topic factually before you post.

Facts are that between 25% and 33% of homeless report chronic substance abuse problems. Close to 60% report either alcohol or drug problems at some point in their past. However, many developed their abuse problems as a consequence of homelessness, not a cause of homelessness.

Here is a link to a highly regarded study often professionally relied on and quoted on this exact issue:

Quote:
The present paper uses a social selection and social adaptation framework to investigate whether problematic substance use normally precedes or follows homelessness. Clarifying temporal order is important for policy and program design. The paper uses information from a large dataset (N�4,291) gathered at two services in Melbourne, supplemented by 65 indepth interviews. We found that 43% of the sample had substance abuse problems. Of these people, one-third had substance abuse problems before they became homeless and two-thirds developed these problems after they became homeless. We also found that young people were more at risk of developing substance abuse problems after becoming homeless than older people and that most people with substance abuse issues remain homeless for 12 months or longer. The paper concludes with three policy recommendations.
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ch_Comes_First
Careful study and parsing out of the categories (cause vs result / chronic vs short-term) is key to not spreading counterproductive mythology.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You are absolutely right about that. I was married to such a person. A functional alcoholic until he wasn't. And the disease took his life at the young age of 61. You can't keep up that sort of lifestyle and expect to live long.
Sorry to hear that. My wife's father had the same problem and damaged his family.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I was around a bordered up Denny’s today that had gone up out of business and the site is being redeveloped. There was all this trash , an old mattress and a bunch of stuff this homeless guy was throwing out of the building . The construction workers were saying this guy had a machete in there and all kinds of stuff.

I guess he created his own short term housing situation. I’m sure there will be no repercussions for the crimes he committed . No place were around .

Old 05-07-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I was around a bordered up Denny’s today that had gone up out of business and the site is being redeveloped. There was all this trash , an old mattress and a bunch of stuff this homeless guy was throwing out of the building . The construction workers were saying this guy had a machete in there and all kinds of stuff.

I guess he created his own short term housing situation. I’m sure there will be no repercussions for the crimes he committed . No place were around .
Lol. What crimes? Hunkering down in an abandoned building being demolished? Ahahahahaha ...

Old 05-07-2019, 06:01 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:

Yeah, there ya go. Just get yourself a machete and take whatever housing you want. Welcome to Zimbabwe...er...I mean Los Angeles.

If we normal people walked around with machetes, I wonder what would happen -- my guess is we'd get arrested. And I'd be willing to bet that half the homeless people with shopping carts, backpacks, etc. have some sort of deadly weapon mixed in with the rest of their muck, but I won't hold my breath for the LAPD to do periodic searches. Yeah, 2sleepy, I know you're going to cite Constitutional rights etc. and I get that. But still...

Old 05-07-2019, 06:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Yeah, there ya go. Just get yourself a machete and take whatever housing you want. Welcome to Zimbabwe...er...I mean Los Angeles.

If we normal people walked around with machetes, I wonder what would happen -- my guess is we'd get arrested. And I'd be willing to bet that half the homeless people with shopping carts, backpacks, etc. have some sort of deadly weapon mixed in with the rest of their muck, but I won't hold my breath for the LAPD to do periodic searches. Yeah, 2sleepy, I know you're going to cite Constitutional rights etc. and I get that. But still...
Double standards . I guess for radical homeless advocates breaking and entering private property , trespassing etc is fine and dandy .

Old 05-07-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:

What would you be arrested for?

Searches have to be based on something. What would you suggest?

Quote:
Double standards . I guess for radical homeless advocates breaking and entering private property , trespassing etc is fine and dandy .
What standards?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
What would you be arrested for?
I guess brandishing a deadly weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles