Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2020, 05:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
According to this source, we spend $80,000 per "refugee". That money should be reallocated to American refugees, i.e. the homeless. We need to take care of our own before all these people crowding in here and taking potential resources from Americans, would you not agree?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/r...lfare-medicaid
FAIR is an anti-immigrant group that almost always posts false or misleading data to make their point. I provided a source for what the federal government spends on refugees, if it was your plan to 'enlighten us' with fake data from FAIR, why didn't you post this before I bothered to respond to your post?

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/...gration-reform
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 06:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
People keep coming here, jacking up the cost of living, and then real Americans like this man and his spouse can't find a place to live. Why do we let this happen? Why does the typical "refugee" get more financial assistance than this American?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulvCSXLa1Wc
I know! Here in Texas, Californians and other Americans keep coming here jacking up the cost of living with the proceeds on their overpriced houses. Meanwhile 14th and 15th generation Texans are forced to move to Houston because transplants have stolen all the jobs in San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas-Fort Worth and these corporate relocations don't hire Texans.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:17 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
FAIR is an anti-immigrant group that almost always posts false or misleading data to make their point. I provided a source for what the federal government spends on refugees, if it was your plan to 'enlighten us' with fake data from FAIR, why didn't you post this before I bothered to respond to your post?

https://news.vice.com/en_ca/article/...gration-reform
FAIR is a patriotic American group that represents the interests of all Americans. The information in that article is correct. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts, because the facts are factual.

However, for a moment let's say the article is inaccurate for discussion's sake -- can you tell me nevertheless why one single penny should be spent on foreign nationals when there are homeless American refugees, some of them who have fought in wars, who are in need? Are you willing to look at the man in that video I posted and say to him, "Sorry, you get nothing, because we've decided to tax people up the wazoo and then give the money to foreign nationals." You don't really want to do that, do you?

Old 01-03-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
FAIR is a patriotic American group that represents the interests of all Americans. The information in that article is correct. You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts, because the facts are factual.

However, for a moment let's say the article is inaccurate for discussion's sake -- can you tell me nevertheless why one single penny should be spent on foreign nationals when there are homeless American refugees, some of them who have fought in wars, who are in need? Are you willing to look at the man in that video I posted and say to him, "Sorry, you get nothing, because we've decided to tax people up the wazoo and then give the money to foreign nationals." You don't really want to do that, do you?
FAIR is not factual you are wrong about that https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fisc...fatally-flawed

Should we spend money on refugees? I don't know and I don't particularly care but I'd rather spend money on refugees than on secret service agents accompanying Trump's children on their big game hunting expeditions, or on one of Ivanka's trips to China to secure some more patents on the junk she sells.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:20 AM

44 posts, read 25,597 times
Quote:
All this housing the U.S. has built for "refugees" should be given first to Americans.

In the latest D.C. spending bill, we're now letting in thousands of Liberians who are somehow "refugees" despite the fact that Liberia has a constitution identical to that of the U.S. And per usual, they'll get housing subsidies from the public coffers. Although I don't necessarily support all the current housing subsidies, Americans should come first, especially if they're long stakeholders in this country. It was their ancestors who put their blood and sweat into building this place, so they should come first if there are to be any housing subsidies at public expense, not all these newcomers trying to hitch their wagons to the public gravy train.
(see above) This.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:23 AM

44 posts, read 25,597 times
Quote:
FAIR is not factual you are wrong about that https://www.cato.org/blog/fairs-fisc...fatally-flawed

Should we spend money on refugees? I don't know and I don't particularly care but I'd rather spend money on refugees than on secret service agents accompanying Trump's children on their big game hunting expeditions, or on one of Ivanka's trips to China to secure some more patents on the junk she sells.
I am new to Citidata. I was under the impression that politics could not be discussed. I notice that you are referencing the President in a topic that has nothing to do with Presidential politics and in the Los Angeles forum. Is this ok? Can anyone assist?

Last edited by Chickenfriedsteak; 01-04-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-04-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenfriedsteak View Post
I am new to Citidata, I was under the impression that politics could not be discussed. I notice that you are referencing the President in a topic that has nothing to do with Presidential politics and in the Los Angeles forum. Is this ok? Can anyone assist?
Trump has been mentioned 205 times in this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/sear...rchid=38402389

Old 01-04-2020, 04:05 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:

I disagree with the opinions expressed at the link you provided. So I guess we've reached an impasse here. We can argue for all time to come about this, or whether Epstein killed himself, or whether Helgen was actually destroyed by a dragon, etc.

As stated, if one penny is spent by U.S. taxpayers on foreign nationals while Americans such as the one in that video are in need, then in my opinion that's just morally wrong.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:54 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I know! Here in Texas, Californians and other Americans keep coming here jacking up the cost of living with the proceeds on their overpriced houses. Meanwhile 14th and 15th generation Texans are forced to move to Houston because transplants have stolen all the jobs in San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas-Fort Worth and these corporate relocations don't hire Texans.

I can see how native Texans would be irritated by this invasion of Californians. And you're right. The smart ones sell their overpriced homes, and often at a profit north of half a million dollars. Think about the new life they can start over with in Texas? I don't blame them, but, I do feel for the native Texans who are being pushed out by Californians who now have money to burn in a lower COL area.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:46 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Trump and Garcetti, enemies in public, are quietly working out a deal on homelessness:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...e482b-81785249
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles