Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 03:16 PM

238 posts, read 555,835 times

Advertisements

I know, with the utmost care...

But seriously folks, our 23 YO daughter is visting us, recent transplants from Altanta, in a couple of weeks. We will have 4-5 days, in addition to a few more evenings, to show her a good time. Besides being loving parents of course, there is an ulterior motive - she's skeptical about how nice LA is despite us saying so. We'd like her to move here before she gets hitched etc, so want to give her the best 'demo' possible. Just being frank about it.

She's into nature as well as good food and travel in general, and window shopping. We won't be doing the nightlife/bar thing with her because, you know, parents. But there is so much more to do.

We've entertained the idea of using the vacation days as day trips to various parts of the metro area, perhaps some using public transport, or taking the days to go up the coast to Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, etc.

If staying in the city, what would you recommend strongly as the top 5 or 6 best uses of a full morning or afternoon? We will definitely do beaches, and planning on Griffith Park/Observatory. Base will be just south of LAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 03:54 PM

908 posts, read 1,304,286 times
If she's into museums, I'd definitely consider either the Getty Museum or Getty Villa, both of which have amazing views. LACMA is another option. Huntington Library is also a great choice.

If you want to take her to a solid restaurant, look at Jonathan Gold's 101 best restaurant list to get some ideas.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:01 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
The South Bay is nice, definitely hang out near the Manhattan or Hermosa pier. I'd also try to catch a show at the Hollywood Bowl. The drive up PCH is very nice. Maybe schedule lunch at Paradise Cove or the Malibu Cafe at Calamigos Ranch. While I don't think the Grove is all that exciting, many people do like it. The roof of the parking structure also has fantastic views of the city. Abbott Kinney in Venice and Main St. in Santa Monica are very cool and millennial friendly with the benefit of not being overrun by tourists like the boardwalk and 3rd St. Promenade. The Getty museum is also pretty impressive.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:04 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
Getty Center (Go early soon after opening and have lunch there), drive out to Malibu Pier after and have dinner at Duke's in Malibu. Nice full day.

Huntington Gardens and lunch in Pasadena. Perhaps an evening movie at the Arclight Theater in Hollywood. They have a nice cafe there for dinner before or after and you can buy tickets online and pick out your seats.

Maybe a half day around Hollywood and Highland for some touristy stuff. The LaBrea Tar pits are a fun way to spend an hour and not too far away.

If you have time a day trip up to Santa Barbara is a great idea. You can stop for lunch at Paradise Cove. Start your trip through Santa Monica on the PCH.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:56 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
If she's not an "eat to live" type, make sure to take her to some of the food spots everybody knows - Pink's, Randy's, Langerman's, et al.

But I have to ask....are you planning on buying her a house or something? I understand the desire to have your offspring physically close to you (well, I understand the concept of it at any rate), but just about any 23 year old is really going to struggle here. Unless I were planning on showering my kid with riches to make their experience positive as a way of life, I'd definitely be advocating for them to start off somewhere where they get way more bang for their buck and maybe cast an eye back to the area when they're established and have their retirement seeded, etc.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
I know, with the utmost care...

But seriously folks, our 23 YO daughter is visting us, recent transplants from Altanta, in a couple of weeks. We will have 4-5 days, in addition to a few more evenings, to show her a good time. Besides being loving parents of course, there is an ulterior motive - she's skeptical about how nice LA is despite us saying so. We'd like her to move here before she gets hitched etc, so want to give her the best 'demo' possible. Just being frank about it.

She's into nature as well as good food and travel in general, and window shopping. We won't be doing the nightlife/bar thing with her because, you know, parents. But there is so much more to do.

We've entertained the idea of using the vacation days as day trips to various parts of the metro area, perhaps some using public transport, or taking the days to go up the coast to Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, etc.

If staying in the city, what would you recommend strongly as the top 5 or 6 best uses of a full morning or afternoon? We will definitely do beaches, and planning on Griffith Park/Observatory. Base will be just south of LAX.
Show here the "real" LA not just the nice spots or later she may regret not knowing about the problems as well.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:09 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Take her to Disneyland for a day.

That's pretty much the nuclear-option for getting a millennial to like the LA/OC area.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:33 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
I would definitely just take her to all the extremes of LA county, so she can get a feel for the place.

I honestly had no idea of how beautiful LA was until I moved here from the east coast. I personally feel no other large city has encompases the same amount of natural beauty.

Hopefully the sun will be out, things are unbelievably nice when the sun's out here.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:42 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
When sunny I would suggest driving her through the Santa Monica mts along Malibu Canyon rd from the 101 down to the PCH by Pepperdine, the view there is absolutely breathtaking.

Loyola has breathtaking views, Baldwin hills, Glendale Sports area, Mandeville Canyon Park, and any view point along Mulholland Dr so she can really get to see LA in its expansive beautyness.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:56 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
A slideshow of what to avoid (or at least the timing of the visit):
18 Things Not to Do in Los Angeles: https://www.destinationtips.com/advi.../?listview=all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles