Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 10,593 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am currently a 34 year old man who would like to start life anew. I would like to go to school to become a film editor. I have done research online and feel that I should go to school where the film industry is at (Los Angeles). I know that by going to school in LA, I would be networked to many editors of the industry, where I can find an externship. I may also find much more success there than where I live. I don't really know exactly how to start, but being a person my age, I would like to start off right, without too many detours that would take longer to be where I want to be.

Right now I live in Texas, and moving to a university or film school in LA would be quite costly as an out-of-state. I have a plan to first go to a community college in LA, stay until I gain residency, then go to a university or film school, if need be.

Is this the right way to go? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Is "film editing" a profession in demand?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Come with $10k, a job (if you can), and a good car.

And you are wrong about college---even for a community college, you will unfortunately still need to be a 1-year resident to get in-state tuition. Read this:

Residency Information

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 02-04-2019 at 12:23 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 PM

I am aware of still being subject to out-of-state tuition if I want to go to a community college in another state. I just thought that tuition would still be significantly lower out-of-state here than at a university or film school. My plan is to gain residency while at a community college, than transfer to a university (if I wanted to) once I would gain that. Out-of-state tuition at a university or film school is astronomical.

Coming up with about $10,000 would be very difficult. It would be nice, but I don't have a high paying job. I make about $13,000 a year, but I am aiming for a little more since I'm currently looking for a new job. I am planning on saving up, maybe hoping to save at least $2,000, would that be ok?

I'm planning on taking public transportation. A car is out of the question right now. I'm not able to drive at this moment.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:52 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. You need to find a way to make more money so you can save up at least $10K or so. Only then should you even think about moving. You will be living on the streets in days with your plan.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,171,507 times
You should check this out: https://www.filmconnection.com/schoo...s/san-antonio/

You don't need to be in Los Angeles to make it happen. My friend is from here, went to film school in Florida and now works in the industry.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. You need to find a way to make more money so you can save up at least $10K or so. Only then should you even think about moving. You will be living on the streets in days with your plan.
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. Perhaps I should look into full-time work.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
You should check this out: https://www.filmconnection.com/schoo...s/san-antonio/

You don't need to be in Los Angeles to make it happen. My friend is from here, went to film school in Florida and now works in the industry.
I looked into that place you referred me to not that long ago. Is it a good place? I tried to find reviews of it and there weren't that many. Some of the reviews were negative.

If I go to a university or film school here in Texas, would there be places I could make decent money in video editing here so I could make an easy transfer to LA? By the way, where is your friend working now? Is he in LA or someplace else?

Last edited by hist135; 02-04-2019 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 04:15 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,171,507 times
I don't know if that place is any good, but it sounds like it's at least worth setting up something to talk with them. It's local and not very expensive. Connections are important for sure, but so is having the knowledge, skills and portfolio/reel.

I'm not sure what kind of editing/productions shops are around San Antonio, but the industry is spread out everywhere and you don't have to limit yourself to Hollywood (there's always commercial and corporate work). My friend moved back to LA after school. He works all around the world, but that's because his job requires him to be on set.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Maybe you should look at Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles