Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:45 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
You're using data from 2008. Much, much has changed in 11 years, home prices in the area have almost doubled.

But you're right, I should clarify, I mainly meant amongst the single-family home neighborhoods, they are extremely diverse. There are many apartments in the area with a diverse population of black people.
The real diversity and mixing test will come when the children start attending Audubon Middle School in numbers. They have already started to return to Baldwin Hills and Windsor Hills elementary, but not Hillcrest or Coliseum St on the across the western borderline from Leimert Park. But to be fair when the area was nearly 100% Black at least half of the families opted out of the LAUSD and spent their own money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 08:47 AM

490 posts, read 660,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The real diversity and mixing test will come when the children start attending Audubon Middle School in numbers. They have already started to return to Baldwin Hills and Windsor Hills elementary, but not Hillcrest or Coliseum St on the across the western borderline from Leimert Park. But to be fair when the area was nearly 100% Black at least half of the families opted out of the LAUSD and spent their own money.
I doubt any children of recently moved families will start attending schools in the area. The schools are atrociously underfunded and low performing. Most of the families I see have children that are toddlers/newborns or are DINK couples. I can imagine a few attending local elementary schools but doubt that socioeconomic diversity or racial diversity will reach Dorsey HS or Audubon MS anytime soon.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:11 AM

335 posts, read 356,401 times
Quote:
Most of the families I see have children that are toddlers/newborns or are DINK couples.
So, they either have families, or they dont?

Old 03-01-2019, 11:54 AM

490 posts, read 660,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
So, they either have families, or they dont?
Poorly worded, yes. Is that what you're implying with your question?

**Most of the new households I see are families with children that are toddlers/newborns or are DINK couples.**

However, a DINK household could still be referred to as a "Family" spouses are family. Children are not necessary to form a family

Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM

I was looking up the history of the jazz fusion band Hiroshima and came across this site talking about the Japanese and Black history in the Crenshaw district

Old 04-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You're using data from 2008. Much, much has changed in 11 years, home prices in the area have almost doubled.

But you're right, I should clarify, I mainly meant amongst the single-family home neighborhoods, they are extremely diverse. There are many apartments in the area with a diverse population of black people.
Quote:
I doubt any children of recently moved families will start attending schools in the area. The schools are atrociously underfunded and low performing. Most of the families I see have children that are toddlers/newborns or are DINK couples. I can imagine a few attending local elementary schools but doubt that socioeconomic diversity or racial diversity will reach Dorsey HS or Audubon MS anytime soon.
Another bit of evidence of change. A new start up church, it seems a local campus of a church from a Monterrey Park church just opened up using Dorsey's auditorium for their services. Judging by the photos from the Facebook page, white folks, other than LAUSD faculty, have again stepped foot on Dorsey's campus, at least on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles