Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 12:38 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not mentioned in the mainstream media (usually these types of racial conflicts are downplayed), but apparently a few months ago there was a sit down and truce called between the Mexican American gang Florencia 13 and the Black gang East Coast Crips. They are two of the larger gangs in Los Angeles county both in terms of territory claimed and membership numbers.

Both gangs were involved in a very brutal and racially based gang war going on for over 13 years. It got so bad both sides were killing people simply based on skin color and no gang affiliations. This conflict was also the subject of one episode of Gangland.

This is welcome news and hopefully it will last, despite a lot of bad blood between them from the conflict.
East Coast Crips? Or do you mean West Coast Crips?

The East Coast Crips are based in the North East. Do they now have branches in California? Hmmm, I wonder how West Coast Crips feel about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 05:02 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
East Coast Crips? Or do you mean West Coast Crips?

The East Coast Crips are based in the North East. Do they now have branches in California? Hmmm, I wonder how West Coast Crips feel about that.
East Coast was the slang catch all term for the sets of Los Angeles black gangs based roughly east of the Harbor freeway. So all the different sets of Crips together would be East Coast Crips instead of Eastside (of LA County), of the 110 freeway.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:30 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
East Coast was the slang catch all term for the sets of Los Angeles black gangs based roughly east of the Harbor freeway. So all the different sets of Crips together would be East Coast Crips instead of Eastside (of LA County), of the 110 freeway.
Yeah there isn't a single set created outside of LA that currently exists in LA unless they're visiting from wherever they're from.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:59 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
But of course these "East Coast Crip" leaders are mostly ex convicts now working in counter gang counseling. During the Crack Wars their East Coast Crip set was likely doing most of its fighting against a neighboring East Coast Crip set. There was never the organization and Hill Street Blues type leaders summits that could stop all violence

Old 11-15-2019, 05:17 PM

914 posts, read 643,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Like back in old-timey days when a certain person was a lifeguard, and "corn pop" was one tough dude.
did you wrap a chain around his head???

Old 11-19-2019, 03:19 PM

10 posts, read 9,627 times
Default Expecting someone living in that environment to change.......

Is largely unrealistic. I lived the last 25 years of my life in the Harbor Area of Los Angeles trying to run a construction business and father 2 racially mixed children. I pretty much dropped my previous lifestyle of being a South Bay beach bum and began spending my leisure time attending Quinceaneras and birthday parties that were hispanic orientated. People who live in this surrounding gang affiliated or not, are subject to a code of conduct. If you live here and break the code whether you know it or not, you are subjecting yourself and your family to dangerous and terrifying possibilities. I'm not exaggerating either. The entire neighborhood is controlled by gangs selling drugs who pay "taxes" to a higher and largely invisible and/or incarcerated entity. There are deadly rivals living only blocks and boulevards away from eachother. Those in the know realize its only a matter of time or someones guard is down at the wrong time and.......Boom.
Prostitution,gambling and other illegal prastices go on in the background. And believe it or not, situations like portrayed in the movie "Training Day" have been and will continue to go on in much larger numbers than the public knows about.
How can someone expect the participants and other residents of this environment to just change their clothes, dialect, mindset and become a Costco associate or a Home Depot Department Manager? The Police do not treat these people like those living in Manhattan Beach. Police Departments in everty surrounding city have been going on timeless orders that mainly speak"Keep those kinds away from these hard working peoples homes" That is where the term "racial profiling" is mainly used. to separate people by their skin color how they look.
Pull up their pants and get a job? Their pants sag as a sign that says" yeah, I'm from this neighborhood and i am ready to kill or die fighting the enemies of this neighborhood.Police included, challenge me and lead will fly"

Old 11-20-2019, 12:56 AM

In 2001 when my adult son was a newborn I was shot with a sawed off shotgun. I was hit behind my left knee and completely lost the nerves in that leg from the knee down. All that was caused over some fresh out of Youth Authority gangster trying to help himself to a case of beer next to my work truck. My Huge German Sheppard watch dog was ready to take the guy down when he pulled a gun on my dog! ****, I was in that guys face so fast and he put the gun away and left. I'm assuming his homies made a big deal out of it because later that niute a car rolled up on me with no headlights and the guy unloaded his shotgun into me. I never spoke with police and was called all kinds of names by homicide detectives.The same guy killed a high school football player the following week while i was still in the hospital learning how to get by in a wheelchair hauling around a hunk of flesh with no nerves in it.
Yes, that code of conduct did not permit me to speak to the police. My family are still safe and i gained respect and trust with local gang members over keeping quiet.Not many white guys can earn trust like i have in the hood.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 AM

Default Where you from Ese?

It's a typical question asked of strangers (most of the time you'd have to be hispanic or black tro get jammed up like that) But i've had instances where im wearing a baseball cap and a hoodie sweatshirt at night and i watch dudes jump out of cars and aggressively approach me. I keep my cool,Don't display any body language telling of fear or readiness to defend yourself. Just stay alert and ready to smash on someone should an assault begin. Don't be a victim.Defend yourself but do not instigate a conflict. Your a guest in their neighborhood. Always stay polite and helpful to seniors and stay away from kids. The last thing you want is a misunderstanding that you came to the hood to **** with their children!
My wife is from D.F. Mexico City. Chilangos are self righteously the cream of the crop from mexico. They are like the trendy hip folks from New York City that get into clubs with long lines simply by knowing "Tony B"
Coming home from a local pizza restaurant a few years ago My wife and daughter with me saw 2 white LAPD motorcycle traffic cops around the corner from our house. As i drove by, i saw a handful of drivers licenses and registrations in his grip and he was still swinging his arms around indicating to drivers that he wants them to pull over like John Wayne would do. I had my window rolled down and said to my wife "those guys are bullies" The officer John Wayne whipped his head around and growled at me "your next! Pull over!" Som my wife began recording the entire incident. I was asked for my license , registration and insurance. I presented them all to the officer and without even looking at them he threw them back at me! (He didn't expect me to have all the required documents but since i did he had to now find a new way to mess with me)
I informed him 10 minutes into his order to stand on one leg that i was disabled and was going to fall and injure myself,which i did. He realized my wife was recording the incident and said "Turn that off or I'll impound your car!" Well, i was arrested, held for 72 hours then let go without any charges being filed.
I immediately contacted the Mayors Office, Chief of Police, California Secretary of State,Office Of Inspector General and The Warren Commission who oversee police in Los Angeles.
My detailed statement and video caused this officer to have a permanent non removable report on his conduct that made him an easy target for defence attorneys to tear down when he was part of a court trial from then on!
# years after the incident i had a Defence Attorney representing a drunk driver contact me and send me a $200.00 check as payment to attend a trial as a character witness against the officer. I never had to attend the trial............when the Prosecuter heard about my arrangement with the Defence Attorney they dropped the case! Prosecutors are experts at choosing the guaranteed conviction cases. They have to be with the cost of a trial being nearly $75,000 for 1 week! I'm sure that officer was more selective of who he bullied from then on! Imagine being a police officer and loosing credibility in court! He seems useless now when i think about it! LOL

Old 11-24-2019, 05:56 PM

242 posts, read 174,424 times
Present day California is hell, never thought I'd say those words lol..

We have the worst gang problem by far.
Worst traffic in the known universe:
Worst homeless epidemic
Biggest prison population

Should I continue ? Lol

Old 12-18-2019, 06:08 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
"In recent years, Gary "Twin" Dorton had turned from the dark side to good, using his street cred to mediate between rival gangs and mentor young people. At 48, with five children, he had settled into modest prosperity as a gang interventionist for the city with a side gig providing security for film shoots, such as John Singleton’s “Snowfall.”

But there is a hard truth to gang-banging. You can never leave it behind, no matter how cleanly you live."

He went from gun-toting Crip to peacemaker. But the streets still came for him:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ips-peacemaker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles