Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 03:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
To say nothing about the POTUS:
not being a constitutional lawyer / expert of any kind
not having a degree in political science
not having any kind of degree or experience relevant to running a country
not having half the brains god gave a gnat

Etc.
Nor is he a virologist, pharmacist or MD who should be giving advice on prescription drugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 03:28 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,850,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Anyway, LA started at a disadvantage (too much travel into), and it needs the very best to fix this.
Looking back, it's really hard to believe that the L.A. Marathon was allowed to take place. Not just the 27,000 runners but the thousands of volunteers and others who watched from the sidelines, shoulder to shoulder.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,654,587 times
Quote:
She does have doctors on the team. Anyway, LA started at a disadvantage (too much travel into), and it needs the very best to fix this. Maybe she just isn't good enough.
She isn't, that's the point.

I notice you didn't respond to the question of the logistics as to how the county should implement this, who does the testing, are the testing kits accurate, where do you expect people to be housed, or the legality of removing someone forcibly from their homes.

I didn't think you would respond, so before making statements like that you might want to keep that in mind.

When we let fear and anxiety become our driving factors over logic and common sense in any situation the results are never good.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,890,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
She isn't, that's the point.

I notice you didn't respond to the question of the logistics as to how the county should implement this, who does the testing, are the testing kits accurate, where do you expect people to be housed, or the legality of removing someone forcibly from their homes.

I didn't think you would respond, so before making statements like that you might want to keep that in mind.

When we let fear and anxiety become our driving factors over logic and common sense in any situation the results are never good.
I don't like being hassled over an agenda of yours.

I said healthcare workers should do the testing. It doesn't need to be more specific than that (unless the need is so great that LA County must borrow some from other counties). I also said the tests are accurate enough and mentioned housing. I don't know about legality of quarantining people when they could be left at home, but the government knows the law and some of that can be bypassed with cold hard cash to infected individuals.

If you wholly dismiss my idea, I don't think you're serious about ending the countywide outbreak and I guess prefer axe-grinding instead.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Looking back, it's really hard to believe that the L.A. Marathon was allowed to take place. Not just the 27,000 runners but the thousands of volunteers and others who watched from the sidelines, shoulder to shoulder.

Why is that so hard to believe? We have a mayor who for years did absolutely nothing for the homeless, letting it get worse and worse, making it an stain and a badge of shame on this city. Ever talk to any tourists who visit LA, especially those from European countries? You would hear quite a bit about how shocked and disgusted they are to see this.

Now all of sudden he is concerned about them...please. It would be almost comical if the issue wasn't so tragic.

FYI, I worked on Tom Hayden's campaign when he ran for LA City Council back in 2001, he was a former CA state senator and one time husband of Jane Fonda.

Not saying you're one of those posters, but some sadly are so narrow minded they can't think about looking at the individual politician, not just their party.

Don't care for Trump at all, but I also don't give a pass on incompetence either.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I don't like being hassled over an agenda of yours.
I said healthcare workers should do the testing. It doesn't need to be more specific than that (unless the need is so great that LA County must borrow some from other counties). I also said the tests are accurate enough and mentioned housing. I don't know about legality of quarantining people when they could be left at home, but the government knows the law and some of that can be bypassed with cold hard cash to infected individuals.

If you wholly dismiss my idea, I don't think you're serious about ending the countywide outbreak and I guess prefer axe-grinding instead.
My agenda? LOL.

Nice attempt at trying to turn it around, but didn't quite work.

I asked you to give specific ideas on how you think it should be implemented by the county. Clearly you haven't thought about it enough, but rather than just say that you got defensive.

Again, think things through before you let emotions rule you.

What kind of response do you think you would get if you contacted your city council member's office and said what you just wrote? You don't know this and you don't know that, you think you would be taken seriously , of course you wouldn't. That is true with many scenarios,you have to be able to back up what you[re saying, have a well thought out plan to get people to consider it.

You don't have an idea, and you know that. You made a blanket statement without any real thought behind it and got your feathers ruffled when I asked what are the specific you had in mind, but rather than just say your really haven't this one through you did the old deflection trick...sorry nice try but not going to work.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 PM

Most people don't think Garcetti is a great mayor. However, he cannot be kicked out right now. If the public wants him to do better now, it needs to say so.

A White House doctor just called out LA as not doing well re COVID-19.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:53 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,676,892 times
Quote:
Well you really shouldn't be surprised. It's been going on for years. China wants the number one spot, and the powers that be here went right along with it. How many times have products made in China from toys, to flooring, to pet food been toxic? There are more but that is a few examples.

Are you aware how many prescription drugs for US citizens are manufactured in China? Think about that one.

The massive debt we have with China, the amount of property they now own here. When you see people coming in and paying cash for houses here, no one ever questioned that. I have family in La Canada Flintridge, real eye opener to see how many Chinese(and I know this isn't you, but for others on here who like make everything racial) these aren't Asian Americans many of whom go back generations here in CA, these are people who have no loyalty to America, and quite frankly aren't the best mannered. Which is the opposite of Asian culture.

So much focus on those illegals coming up from Mexico, not a peep about wealthy Chinese buying up properties for the most part. Typical for the US to it's citizens, look here, not over there. Kind of like the Wizard of OZ "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain".

And Newsom gave China one billion dollars, that's right one billon to have masks made. well where are the masks? And from China, doesn't sound like a good idea. Months ago an American manufacturer expressed concerns about a lack of masks for medical staff and for citizens, he didn't get any business and it fell on deaf ears. The one billion dollars could have come in real handy now for all those out of work who are still waiting for checks 5 weeks after filing, can't apply online as they system has "gitches"(Newsom himself said that), and forget calling. That is shameful.

I already shared my disdain for Trump, but that doesn't mean you can't have disdain for Newsom as well.

It's really sad how some Americans these days think you support Trump if you don't like Newsom and vice versa, rather than be realistic and again think about the individual and not think for themselves.

"United we stand divided we fall", well we see what is happening.

'
Hold your horses. I said I was surprised at the continued flights from China right now, but as stated in the post you quoted, not the rest of it.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
My agenda? LOL.

Nice attempt at trying to turn it around, but didn't quite work.

I asked you to give specific ideas on how you think it should be implemented by the county. Clearly you haven't thought about it enough, but rather than just say that you got defensive.

Again, think things through before you let emotions rule you.

What kind of response do you think you would get if you contacted your city council member's office and said what you just wrote? You don't know this and you don't know that, you think you would be taken seriously , of course you wouldn't. That is true with many scenarios,you have to be able to back up what you[re saying, have a well thought out plan to get people to consider it.

You don't have an idea, and you know that. You made a blanket statement without any real thought behind it and got your feathers ruffled when I asked what are the specific you had in mind, but rather than just say your really haven't this one through you did the old deflection trick...sorry nice try but not going to work.
You're wrong. That to me is specific. The county can come up with particulars (it, for example, knows how many employees it has available, which parts of LA aren't making enough visits to local testing centers, and how to get funding from the state). I would focus more on apartment-filled locations. Edit: I would use some of those digital road signs to announce roving testing personnel in the area and a number to call them for home visits, and their vehicles should have very visible testing signage. They could even have special noisemakers like ice-cream trucks. I am very confident my plan would work and reduce the transmission rate of coronavirus. However, I would need to first think of a council member who seems to want to do more. Many of them are just as lazy as Garcetti. Maybe it would be better to contact the governor, assuming he's dissatisfied with LA's handling of the crisis.

Last edited by goodheathen; 05-22-2020 at 08:17 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Hold your horses. I said I was surprised at the continued flights from China right now, but as stated in the post you quoted, not the rest of it.

OK fair enough, but it goes hand and hand with what has been going on for the past several years. I know you're no dummy, far from it.

Like me a long time LA resident, and like me have here for the good the bad our city has gone through; the bad being for many the 92 riots and the 94 Northridge quake, those memories stay with you, hard to believe it's coming up on 30 years. Just like when you talk to older people who were alive and old enough to when JFK was killed in 1963 they can tell exactly where they were, what they doing,and how things played out that week in great detail, it's fascinating to listen to and observe, it's like it wasn't now more well over 50 years now coming up on 6O years, but it they can tell you like it happened 5 years ago. Shows how some thlngs stay with us.

Yes it is maddening, but surprising no. We can't fly to Europe(and now many don't want us even visting). But you can fly in from China, not get checked at LAX or JFK with so much as temperature check. And off the go, while people who live here are told to hunker down, shelter in place, "we're all in this together"(no WE really aren't). Politicians on both sides of the aisle who have done deals with China and lined their own pockets.

You see you can't tell the owners of the property, they can't come here. A good analogy is the legend of vampires. They don't come into your house unless you give them permission to enter and invite them in. Than when the victims is freaking out, well the say you invited me in. Now I know this is bit of stretch, and I know you're a thinking person.

But it's the best I can come up with after a very long day.

So again maddening and outrageous absolutely, but shocking not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles