Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 08:09 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not going to waste much time on that ^ but I do want to address one point. I never said I wanted everything to remain shut for eternity. Making stuff up about what someone said is something you would expect from a 7 year old not an adult.
Of course you're not going to respond to what I wrote, it wasn't conjecture those are the facts. But why discuss that right.

On the CA boards you made a comment on a thread(which is now closed) how it was too soon and in the same post you said how in 6 months there will be so many more homeless, but showed no concern about that. If you're that concerned due to age or health problems that is something for you to worry about, however that doesn't mean the majority of folks have to or can live like that.

Shame on you for making the comments you did about people suffering from depression and mental health issues.

Funny how the millennials get such a bad rap, sure some of them may spend too much time interacting texting than actually talking. But I find many of them have a lot of empathy and heart, where I find with some seniors(not all as many have great stories and life experiences) there is a strong sense of entitlement, don't care about others except maybe for their family. Spend anytime in places like Florida where there are lots of retired people, wow, it's amazing, they're the "snowflakes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaminoDelAvion View Post
They don’t understand how an economy works.
Exactly, clueless on how things work. Really sad because they can get the basics right at their fingertips.

The US economy for many years now has been a house of cards. Lack of manufacturing, massive internal debt, ridiculous amount of foreign aid(no one mentions cutting that out to help Americans, I mean why help your own, massive debt to China, too many service industry jobs, and we kept kicking the can down the road from Baby Bush to Obama to now Trump...well the road ended. This virus which is real, but made out to more than it really is, gets to take the blame to get the politicians in both parties to not take the blame, sure they are pointing fingers but at the end of the day "it's not our fault,, this horrible pandemic did it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaminoDelAvion View Post
Trump is wrong for not stopping these h1bs and Ls. Trump is under the influence of thes big business gop types (who, coincidentally are just like the left wing big business types). I detest it. That said, no president has made as big a change in the realm of immigration. What’s the alternative, open border types?
Yes, he is. I think people are starting to get it now. Seriously you can go into a Target or a Costco, but small businesses(many are done) who might get 20 customers a day, many at one at time, had to close.

Doesn't even make any sense if you think about it. Key word being THINK, which seems to be something
some Americans have lost the ability to do, if they ever had it at all.

So flights can come in to the US from China, but Americans are told to stay in their houses which is now over 2 months here in CA. Again how does that make sense?

And you see Trump got his wall, the irony is it's to keep Americans locked up in their own country. I remember reading that a couple of years back, and thought that sounds silly, Than you start hearing that you will need a passport to travel within the US, and now this. Doesn't seem so silly now.

Last edited by seain dublin; 05-22-2020 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Well I'm genuinely surprised. I've been unhappy about the real estate issues, the spying issues, the intellectual theft issues, the currency valuation issues, the predatory price dumping issues, etc. And when I was earning my real estate certificate in 2005 at UCLA, every day on campus I'd wonder if I was still in America.

But this international travel thing, assuming the article is correct, actually did surprise me. And enrage me.

Well you really shouldn't be surprised. It's been going on for years. China wants the number one spot, and the powers that be here went right along with it. How many times have products made in China from toys, to flooring, to pet food been toxic? There are more but that is a few examples.

Are you aware how many prescription drugs for US citizens are manufactured in China? Think about that one.

The massive debt we have with China, the amount of property they now own here. When you see people coming in and paying cash for houses here, no one ever questioned that. I have family in La Canada Flintridge, real eye opener to see how many Chinese(and I know this isn't you, but for others on here who like make everything racial) these aren't Asian Americans many of whom go back generations here in CA, these are people who have no loyalty to America, and quite frankly aren't the best mannered. Which is the opposite of Asian culture.

So much focus on those illegals coming up from Mexico, not a peep about wealthy Chinese buying up properties for the most part. Typical for the US to it's citizens, look here, not over there. Kind of like the Wizard of OZ "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain".

And Newsom gave China one billion dollars, that's right one billon to have masks made. well where are the masks? And from China, doesn't sound like a good idea. Months ago an American manufacturer expressed concerns about a lack of masks for medical staff and for citizens, he didn't get any business and it fell on deaf ears. The one billion dollars could have come in real handy now for all those out of work who are still waiting for checks 5 weeks after filing, can't apply online as they system has "gitches"(Newsom himself said that), and forget calling. That is shameful.

I already shared my disdain for Trump, but that doesn't mean you can't have disdain for Newsom as well.

It's really sad how some Americans these days think you support Trump if you don't like Newsom and vice versa, rather than be realistic and again think about the individual and not think for themselves.

"United we stand divided we fall", well we see what is happening.

'

Old 05-22-2020, 08:42 AM

42,872 posts, read 26,399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Of course you're not going to respond to what I wrote, it wasn't conjecture those are the facts. But why discuss that right.

On the CA boards you made a comment on a thread(which is now closed) how it was too soon and in the same post you said how in 6 months there will be so many more homeless, but showed no concern about that. If you're that concerned due to age or health problems that is something for you to worry about, however that doesn't mean the majority of folks have to or can live like that.

Shame on you for making the comments you did about people suffering from depression and mental health issues.

Funny how the millennials get such a bad rap, sure some of them may spend too much time interacting texting than actually talking. But I find many of them have a lot of empathy and heart, where I find with some seniors(not all as many have great stories and life experiences) there is a strong sense of entitlement, don't care about others except maybe for their family. Spend anytime in places like Florida where there are lots of retired people, wow, it's amazing, they're the "snowflakes".

Exactly, clueless on how things work. Really sad because you can get the basics right at their fingertips.
Do you feel better now?

Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 AM

14,382 posts, read 11,788,207 times
Quote:
And Newsom gave China one billion dollars, that's right one billon to have masks made. well where are the masks? And from China, doesn't sound like a good idea. Months ago an American manufacturer expressed concerns about a lack of masks for medical staff and for citizens, he didn't get any business and it fell on deaf ears. '
Yesterday the Orange County Register also reported on local business owners who invested a lot of money in manufacturing masks and other PPE to meet demand, but are being ignored.

Quote:
But Thompson said he never heard back from offices for Newsom or New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who’d gone on TV sounding the alarm about their need for protective gear. He said it’s been frustrating to hear story after story about how deals for California and other states to buy gear from China have fallen through, while he said he has equipment ready to ship at only a slightly higher price point.

“Why are you leaning on these non-American manufacturers that are promising things that they can’t deliver and I’m here with my hand in the air?” he asked.
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/1...et-might-wane/

Old 05-22-2020, 12:23 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,904,287 times
All of you, you'd rather fight with each other for weeks on a message board than join forces and insist that LA County detect and quarantine infected people ASAP so that the rest of us can live fairly normally again?

Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Do you feel better now?
I do thank you, you didn't disappoint in the least with your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yesterday the Orange County Register also reported on local business owners who invested a lot of money in manufacturing masks and other PPE to meet demand, but are being ignored.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/1...et-might-wane/
Careful now, you will be labeled a Trumpster with some if you point out any facts or criticize a politician on the "opposite side".

You see you can't think Trump is doing a bad job, and Newsom is as well, it's not simply not done.

Even when Newsom pulled a Trump and said CA schools would open, never mind the fact that isn't his call, didn't consult with leaders in CA education, or that school districts decide independently when school starts and ends. It went over like a lead balloon and he had to backtrack, reminds me of someone with orange hair who lives back east in a big white house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
All of you, you'd rather fight with each other for weeks on a message board than join forces and insist that LA County detect and quarantine infected people ASAP so that the rest of us can live fairly normally again?

Well how do you propose that is going to be done? You know there are false positives, inaccurate testing equipment, are you saying people should be removed from their homes? Where do you think they would go? Talk about a slippery slope.

Do you have any specifics you can give on the logistics of how this would be done? Details, not just insistence that "they" need to do this.

Are you aware the woman who is the LA County Public Health Director is not a medical doctor? Nor is she a scientist. She has a PhD in social welfare. Might want to think about that one.

Sorry, but you need to get a grip on this. This isn't the Bubonic plague, start looking at the facts, letting fear being the driving force over facts and logic is never good in any situation.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I do thank you, you didn't disappoint in the least with your response.

Careful now, you will be labeled a Trumpster with some if you point out any facts or criticize a politician on the "opposite side".

You see you can't think Trump is doing a bad job, and Newsom is as well, it's not simply not done.

Even when Newsom pulled a Trump and said CA schools would open, never mind the fact that isn't his call, didn't consult with leaders in CA education, or that school districts decide independently when school starts and ends. It went over like a lead balloon and he had to backtrack, reminds me of someone with orange hair who lives back east in a big white house.

Well how do you propose that is going to be done? You know there are false positives, inaccurate testing equipment, are you saying people should be removed from their homes? Where do you think they would go? Talk about a slippery slope.

Do you have any specifics you can give on the logistics of how this would be done? Details, not just insistence that "they" need to do this.

Are you aware the woman who is the LA County Public Health Director is not a medical doctor? Nor is she a scientist. She has a PhD in social welfare. Might want to think about that one.

Sorry, but you need to get a grip on this. This isn't the Bubonic plague, start looking at the facts, letting fear being the driving force over facts and logic is never good in any situation.
Fact: COVID-19 would be damaging to people and the economy even if it didn't kill anyone and weren't widely considered possibly fatal. I shouldn't even need to explain why. Most of you simply fail to understand how impactful is a very small, overtly ill percentage of the population .

Los Angeles can require regular testing of employees who deal with the public. Also, it can for example dispatch healthcare personnel to neighborhoods to bribe residents to be tested on the spot, then depending on positives and contact tracing go back with more strongly recommended testing for others (with the threat to shut down everything locally on the assumption there is an outbreak). The county can also arrange testing by random cold-calling with financial incentives to visit testing locations. Then pay infected people to stay home or in hotels, whichever is more effective. False positives aren't that common, and re-tests are easy to do and would need to be done anyway after positives. Newsom talks a lot about more detection. The problem is that Garcetti doesn't, for he's not the aggressive leader we need and aren't demanding.

Last edited by goodheathen; 05-22-2020 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 02:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,407,468 times
Quote:

But she does have a Master in Public Health.

In addition, there are other Public Health Directors in other large cities who are not medical doctors. Did you raise objections to their pandemic policies based on that info?

Old 05-22-2020, 02:35 PM

21,777 posts, read 16,439,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

In addition, there are other Public Health Directors in other large cities who are not medical doctors. Did you raise objections to their pandemic policies based on that info?
To say nothing about the POTUS:
not being a constitutional lawyer / expert of any kind
not having a degree in political science
not having any kind of degree or experience relevant to running a country
not having half the brains god gave a gnat

Etc.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

She does have doctors on the team. Anyway, LA started at a disadvantage (too much travel into), and it needs the very best to fix this. Maybe she just isn't good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles