Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 11:05 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,905,196 times

Advertisements

I don't like this. The Vons on Broadway, and the Pavilions on Montana, are my two go-to places for groceries. And we don't really need yet another massive housing development. Traffic is bad enough.

https://www.smdp.com/downtown-santa-...uilding/189504
A Vons in downtown Santa Monica will be demolished to make way for a five-story building containing 260 apartments, including 65 affordable apartments.

The mixed-use development will include a 53,000 square-foot grocery store on its ground level and another 33,000 square feet of retail elsewhere in the building. Developer Related California will replace the large parking lot on the property at 710 Broadway with an underground garage with 390 parking spots.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 11:34 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
Argh!!!

I'm so sick of this. Martin Cadillac is gone and it's going to be replaced with a gazillion unit housing megalopolis, to the chagrin of local neighborhood coalitions. Then there's that housing megalopolis down by LMU which houses a gazillion people. And so forth. It's more and more people jammed into this area and in the meantime the number of roads remains the same. And don't anybody tell me this is good because people can live closer to their work, because they've been doing that song and dance for the past 30 years and yet traffic still increases.

BTW, CC, what do you think of the parking at our Pavillions? I don't care for it because those parking spaces are too small. And that Panda Express could give better portions for the money they charge. Chicken at the deli in Pavillions is a good deal, though. And the rose whatever salad at the deli is outstanding.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Hard to understand isn't it. People need to have shopping close by and it is getting harder to find it, no matter where your live. I have said for years: the mega shopping malls will soon before a thing of the past as will super chain grocery stores. As for the grocery thing, more people are leaning specialty groceries or big box and as for malls, welcome to the days of on line shopping.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:25 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,905,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
BTW, CC, what do you think of the parking at our Pavillions? I don't care for it because those parking spaces are too small. And that Panda Express could give better portions for the money they charge. Chicken at the deli in Pavillions is a good deal, though. And the rose whatever salad at the deli is outstanding.

I live about a mile from Pavilions, and I usually walk. So I don't pay much attention to their parking.

I also used to go to the Whole Foods on Wilshire and 5th, before they closed that. I still go to the one on Montana. Surprisingly, the Whole Food's 365 Water is cheaper than Pavilion's Refresher Water ($1.49 vs. $1.79 a 1.5 liter bottle). Sometimes Whole Food is cheaper than Pavilion's.

Most change in SM is not for the best. I miss the old Post Office on 5th, and the indoor Santa Monica Place mall.

Old 04-18-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I live about a mile from Pavilions, and I usually walk. So I don't pay much attention to their parking.

I also used to go to the Whole Foods on Wilshire and 5th, before they closed that. I still go to the one on Montana. Surprisingly, the Whole Food's 365 Water is cheaper than Pavilion's Refresher Water ($1.49 vs. $1.79 a 1.5 liter bottle). Sometimes Whole Food is cheaper than Pavilion's.

Most change in SM is not for the best. I miss the old Post Office on 5th, and the indoor Santa Monica Place mall.
Have you tried the new Trader Joe's on Wilshire? It's a fair size and has excellent underground parking.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:56 PM

157 posts, read 219,119 times
The Pavilions on Montana is shockingly bad for such a nice neighborhood, and the Whole Foods is the smallest I have ever been in. It is really surprising how lame the supermarket options are in this part of Santa Monica.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:03 PM

102,239 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I don't like this. The Vons on Broadway, and the Pavilions on Montana, are my two go-to places for groceries. And we don't really need yet another massive housing development. Traffic is bad enough.

https://www.smdp.com/downtown-santa-...uilding/189504
A Vons in downtown Santa Monica will be demolished to make way for a five-story building containing 260 apartments, including 65 affordable apartments.

The mixed-use development will include a 53,000 square-foot grocery store on its ground level and another 33,000 square feet of retail elsewhere in the building. Developer Related California will replace the large parking lot on the property at 710 Broadway with an underground garage with 390 parking spots.

I imagine LA, and especially Santa Monica, need "affordable housing", though, or "low-income" housing.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I imagine LA, and especially Santa Monica, need "affordable housing", though, or "low-income" housing.
I thought the light rail was supposed to make getting to and from work easier for people with lower income earnings.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:52 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well rents will be coming down here. I noticed even before this started there were more vacancy signs outside apartment buildings. The rents here have gotten ridiculous, and landlords are going to realize(at least the smart ones) better to lower the rent than apartments sit vacant. They have to pay taxes and maintain the building. Better to haves someone paying $900 a month for their one bedroom, than let it sit vacant for $1,500.

Now, regarding low income housing. A few years back a poster living in Ohio wanted to move to Santa Monica trying to get Section 8....really? LOL...entitled much?

Myself and others pointed out you don't pick and move to a higher COL area when you're reliant on the govt. like that. And you certainly don't pick Santa Monica.

I don't even live in Santa Monica, but it's right on the water, so it's going to cost more.

Many Americans spend everything they earn. Starbucks every morning, have to have the high end car.

That's great if you can afford and still put aside savings. But if you can't than you need to cut some things out.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:26 AM

585 posts, read 637,157 times
I totally agree with people who do not want more housing in their area because it increases the population density, traffic, and parking issues. It is worse when it is apartments because renters are a transitory population and not usually fully vested in the community.

I just smile because reality and NIMBY are hitting people on the west side who are typically all-in for the liberal policies of more affordable housing, public transportation, handouts, illegals, etc. They're either trapped conservatives, or closet conservatives making these posts. If neither, then they are hypocrite liberals (synonymous, I know).

Are people still so myopic (or higher-education brain washed) they cannot or will not realize that voting for democrats and their "feel-good, one-world" policies have made SMO, the west side, LA, and CA in general an ever-worsening place to live? It's like being boiled alive. Turn up the temp one-degree per hour, and the person being boiled alive will likely not even notice. Get smart people! It's time to change your paradigm to one of common sense and self-accountability and reliability values. Otherwise shut the F*** up, and go to sleep in the bed you helped make. Quit your whinging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles