Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2020, 03:55 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
The looting and fires resulting from peaceful protests in the City of LA have been very confined and lasted only two days.
So looting and burning and the police doing nothing is okay as long as it isn't as bad as '92?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
People are saying that they're looting because of the college admissions scandal? I hadn't heard that one.
I get that. Many of the looters I saw looked like parents who kids missed out on a rowing scholarship to USC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
One incident doesn't represent the totality of what has largely been peaceful protests.
You do understand the irony of that statement, right?

Quote:
Once again, the protests have been peaceful for nearly a week now.
The owner of this YouTube Channel has an agenda obviously (and a mentality), but it doesn't invalidate the content of the videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 04:55 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Once again, the protests have been peaceful for nearly a week now and the looting was over with by Monday. And yes the looting/vandalism was terrible and not justified. That said, I don't think we should hold peaceful protesters responsible for preventing looting. That is the responsibility of local law enforcement.

You participated in a protest that was about violence against women and of course the police are going to be sympathetic to that....as they aren't the target.

This protest is clearly aimed at police abuse of power and that does mean there will some animosity. I don't agree at all with protesters antagonizing the police. But as someone with a conservative viewpoint as I think you have, I would think you would be enraged by the police abuse of power.

You appear to have a respect for the rule of law and have a healthy skepticism of excessive government power which should make you more skeptical of the state’s monopoly on violence: the police.

Not a local example but a 70-year old (unarmed) protester was pushed to the ground in Buffalo by the police. The man is suffering serious head injuries and the police just walked away from the man as he hit the ground.
That's not correct. I saw looting on the news last Wednesday when the horde was in Van Nuys. And there's been a consistent vandalism all along -- a war memorial, various statues, etc.

These people are peaceful compared to whom, the armies of Attila the Hun?

Old 06-06-2020, 06:06 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
So looting and burning and the police doing nothing is okay as long as it isn't as bad as '92?
You don’t know much about policing obviously.
Quote:
Three federal commissions concluded that when police escalate force those efforts can often go wrong, creating the very violence that force was meant to prevent.

Researchers have spent 50 years studying the way crowds of protesters and crowds of police behave — and what happens when the two interact. One thing they will tell you is that when the police respond by escalating force — wearing riot gear from the start, or using tear gas on protesters — it doesn’t work. In fact, disproportionate police force is one of the things that can make a peaceful protest not so peaceful. But if we know that (and have known that for decades), why are police still doing it?

“There’s this failed mindset of ‘if we show force, immediately we will deter criminal activity or unruly activity’ and show me where that has worked,” said Scott Thomson, the former chief of police in Camden, New Jersey.

“That’s the primal response,” he said. “The adrenaline starts to pump, the temperature in the room is rising, and you want to go one step higher. But what we need to know as professionals is that there are times, if we go one step higher, we are forcing them to go one step higher.”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-force-anyway/

Quote:
New Directions in Protest Policing
https://scholarship.law.slu.edu/cgi/...28&context=plr

Old 06-06-2020, 06:40 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You don’t know much about policing obviously.
It seems like there may be discussions going on here about two different groups of people. There were the protesters and the looters/rioters.

The police shouldn’t stand by and do nothing about the looting/rioting. Protesters are a different story. I can understand backing off as long as it remains peaceful.

Looting and rioting needs to be put down immediately, manpower allowing.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It seems like there may be discussions going on here about two different groups of people. There were the protesters and the looters/rioters.

The police shouldn’t stand by and do nothing about the looting/rioting. Protesters are a different story. I can understand backing off as long as it remains peaceful.

Well, that would be great. Unfortunately - and I do mean it is unfortunate - the looters/rioters are operating with protestors as shields in a way. They mix and mingle where there are crowds. Policing science has evolved through learning that it is often better to not take immediate actions that can be framed by protestors and media as escalating. Better to take pictures and go after looters later. And they do. There are plenty of plain clothes in those marches.

Quote:
LAPD, FBI to Arrest Looters in Future with Videos, Photos
Both the Los Angeles Police Department and the FBI are using photos and videos to arrest individuals who looted or incited acts of violence during this weekend’s protests. But the move has generated concerns.
https://www.governing.com/next/LAPD-...os-Photos.html

Old 06-06-2020, 07:06 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:

Exactly what I was going to say.

The police cannot stand by when the violence is happening.

Those commissions were looking largely at demonstrations during the civil rights era and police agencies in the South. Medaria Arradondo isn't Bull Connor.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well, that would be great. Unfortunately - and I do mean it is unfortunate - the looters/rioters are operating with protestors as shields in a way. They mix and mingle where there are crowds. Policing science has evolved through learning that it is often better to not take immediate actions that can be framed by protestors and media as escalating. Better to take pictures and go after looters later. And they do. There are plenty of plain clothes in those marches.
Key being in the future. Now photos and videos are limited help with all the masks.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Exactly what I was going to say.

The police cannot stand by when the violence is happening.

Those commissions were looking largely at demonstrations during the civil rights era and police agencies in the South. Medaria Arradondo isn't Bull Connor.
Obviously, they can

The old mindset is changing.

Quote:
Militarizing the police sets up protesters as ‘the enemy,’ increases violence
By Tom Nolan - June 3, 2020
... The militarization of police departments has been a feature of U.S. domestic law enforcement since the 9/11 attacks. What is clear from the latest round of protest and response, is that despite efforts to promote de-escalation as a policy, police culture appears to be stuck in an “us vs. them” mentality.

... Just months after the Ferguson unrest, President Obama set up his Task Force on 21st Century Policing. It recommended the implementation of training and policies that “emphasize de-escalation.” It also called on police to employ tactics during protests “designed to minimize the appearance of a military operation and avoid using provocative tactics and equipment that undermine civilian trust.”

https://www.azmirror.com/2020/06/03/...ases-violence/

Old 06-06-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Obviously, they can

The old mindset is changing.
They can, but they shouldn’t. It’s a classic case of give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
They can, but they shouldn’t. It’s a classic case of give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.
Maybe. But maybe the smartest way to deal with it is just away a bit from the perimeters of the action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles