Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 PM

13 posts, read 58,078 times

Advertisements

I moved to Houston, Tx last year from the San Gabriel Valley. I lived there my whole life. It was so hard to leave L.A. Since I moved here I've seen California plates daily. It looks like people are just running from California. We moved because we wanted a nice big house for a good price, that would never have happend in Los Angeles. If I could have bought a nice house in California there would have been no way I would have moved. Seriously, people now with the teacher layoffs,schools closing and all those foreclosures. "What is going on?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:41 PM

72 posts, read 192,322 times
The government hasn't been creative enough to deal with the aftermath of Proposition 13. I think that was the first step in the decline of California and it has to be fixed. The vast majority of California's government workers are on welfare jobs easily replaceable by modern equipment. California pays the police and prison guards more that teachers. Nobody the law enforcement community is a brain surgeon or even has a university diploma, so we shouldn't pay them more than a teacher. "Protect and Serve" Protect themselves and serve the government. I could go on for hours, but I'll get off my soapbox. Thanks for giving me a forum.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarski View Post
The vast majority of California's government workers are on welfare jobs easily replaceable by modern equipment.
How about some examples?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:52 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,826 times
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I am moving to FL for better beaches, less sprawl and so that we can someday have a house with a yard. I think at some point L.A. loses its glamour and the reality of the fact that you will be living in a tiny apartment forever sets in. And it is SO not worth it! Like other people have mentioned, I think that living in L.A. is something you need to experience when you are young, and then you move on (unless you are a millionaire). I have enjoyed my time here but can't wait to get on with my life.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarski View Post
The government hasn't been creative enough to deal with the aftermath of Proposition 13. I think that was the first step in the decline of California and it has to be fixed. The vast majority of California's government workers are on welfare jobs easily replaceable by modern equipment. California pays the police and prison guards more that teachers. Nobody the law enforcement community is a brain surgeon or even has a university diploma, so we shouldn't pay them more than a teacher. "Protect and Serve" Protect themselves and serve the government. I could go on for hours, but I'll get off my soapbox. Thanks for giving me a forum.
That post has a hue of elitism in it, at least from my perspective. You think teachers must earn more, because they are better educated than LE or Corrections Officers? If that were even true, that's not how the value of someone's work is measured. (And the comment about no officers having a university diploma is categorically incorrect).

LE Officers are risking their lives to protect the public. Corrections Officers also risk their lives each day they show up for work and subject themselves to the kind of treatment by society's finest that I doubt any teacher would tolerate for even a day. Did you know that our precious inmates have this little game they play with the guards, where they save their feces for weeks, and when it's good and rotten, they fling it at the guards? Our schools may have some unruly kids, but that doesn't even come close. LE and Corrections Officers don't get a summer vacation, and they aren't singing songs to five year olds. They are working with the sort of people most probably will never encounter in their charmed lives.

FWIW, Prop 13 doesn't need to be fixed - how about fixing our porous border and revoking Special Order 40? It would save our state's Public Education costs immeasurably. For added measure, I would love to see the Teachers Union's wings clipped and have their lobbying curtailed or entirely stopped. Like that's going to happen....one can only dream.....

In the HS district I live in, they have already wasted/invested $7 mil in legal fees to fight the secession of a feeder school district which the State had already approved of. That is but one example of myriad wasteful mismanagement of taxpayer's money that the schools are ever-hungry for. False sense of entitlement, anyone?

Last edited by DontH8Me; 05-08-2008 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-08-2008, 04:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,797 times
I live in California,and trust me it's not all Doom and Gloom from what you hear from the Ex-Californians or on the News.

Yeah California has been going through an Economic Slowdown,but this is just a cycle we go through with our Ups and Downs.

People have different reasons of why they left California,but honestly it's still a Wonderful Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl2000 View Post
I moved to Houston, Tx last year from the San Gabriel Valley. I lived there my whole life. It was so hard to leave L.A. Since I moved here I've seen California plates daily. It looks like people are just running from California. We moved because we wanted a nice big house for a good price, that would never have happend in Los Angeles. If I could have bought a nice house in California there would have been no way I would have moved. Seriously, people now with the teacher layoffs,schools closing and all those foreclosures. "What is going on?"

Old 05-08-2008, 04:38 PM

268 posts, read 890,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I am moving to FL for better beaches, less sprawl and so that we can someday have a house with a yard. I think at some point L.A. loses its glamour and the reality of the fact that you will be living in a tiny apartment forever sets in. And it is SO not worth it! Like other people have mentioned, I think that living in L.A. is something you need to experience when you are young, and then you move on (unless you are a millionaire). I have enjoyed my time here but can't wait to get on with my life.
I now live in California but was raised in Florida and you're right...Florida has the best beaches!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM

198 posts, read 354,606 times
I love living in California. The bride and I moved here from Maine 10 years ago, and it just keeps getting better.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That post has a hue of elitism in it, at least from my perspective.
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. My mother had to quit school at 14 to help support her family, so education was always stressed in my family.
As far as police go, one night I had 3 cars with lights on when my car jumped the curb of a freeway offramp. It made me nervous and I wondered why they weren't chasing illegal immigrants. My brother-in-law is a meter maid with a gun making $75,000 a year. I admit he might get shot because he has the most hated job in the world. The police do have the toughest job in the world - they have to supply "fodder for our legal system" and let the real criminals - doctors, lawyers and politicians - go scot free.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How about some examples?
I'll give you the example of how government or for that fact any bureaucracy works. Three principles - when in doubt, reroute; if you do nothing long enough, the problem will go away; and finally mushrooms- keep them in the dark and throw lots of sh__ at them. Government workers, especially those in the lower levels, keep you waiting and hold onto information because it's their only source of power. Those are the type of people I'm saying are on welfare. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles