Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:50 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,839 times

Advertisements

It's interesting how a place such as Iceland has a far harsher climate and hence far harsher naturally imposed living conditions than California, yet people aren't scrambling like mad to get out of Iceland. Hmmm...now there's a thinker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:20 PM

303 posts, read 846,345 times
I agree with Caliguy and L-88. Though I am an ex-Californian, I did not leave by choice, rather, my dad's stupid company transferred us. I've been stuck in Texas for the last 13 years, and want to come home VERY VERY VERY badly! I've never been happy living in Texas and when we visited SoCal 4 years ago I could not stop smiling. I felt happier than I've ever felt in my entire life outside California. I literally cried when we had to leave, and have had a strong desire to return home ever since. I actually do not need a big house, and I'll be very happy to share an apartment with my boyfriend if it means that we will both be happy. I don't see the point of living somewhere cheaper if it means I can't be happy.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
I agree with Caliguy and L-88. Though I am an ex-Californian, I did not leave by choice, rather, my dad's stupid company transferred us. I've been stuck in Texas for the last 13 years, and want to come home VERY VERY VERY badly! I've never been happy living in Texas and when we visited SoCal 4 years ago I could not stop smiling. I felt happier than I've ever felt in my entire life outside California. I literally cried when we had to leave, and have had a strong desire to return home ever since. I actually do not need a big house, and I'll be very happy to share an apartment with my boyfriend if it means that we will both be happy. I don't see the point of living somewhere cheaper if it means I can't be happy.

Why don't you move to California? What is stopping you?

Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM

303 posts, read 846,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why don't you move to California? What is stopping you?

I unfortunately haven't been able to find work there. I'm still looking though.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarski View Post
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. My mother had to quit school at 14 to help support her family, so education was always stressed in my family.
As far as police go, one night I had 3 cars with lights on when my car jumped the curb of a freeway offramp. It made me nervous and I wondered why they weren't chasing illegal immigrants. My brother-in-law is a meter maid with a gun making $75,000 a year. I admit he might get shot because he has the most hated job in the world. The police do have the toughest job in the world - they have to supply "fodder for our legal system" and let the real criminals - doctors, lawyers and politicians - go scot free.
The real criminals are doctors and lawyers? I guess I had better make sure my kids pick the right education, I don't want them to be criminals.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
The government hasn't been creative enough to deal with the aftermath of Proposition 13. I think that was the first step in the decline of California and it has to be fixed. The vast majority of California's government workers are on welfare jobs easily replaceable by modern equipment.
I find this to be true of government jobs all across America.

Quote:
California pays the police and prison guards more that teachers. Nobody the law enforcement community is a brain surgeon or even has a university diploma, so we shouldn't pay them more than a teacher. "Protect and Serve" Protect themselves and serve the government. I could go on for hours, but I'll get off my soapbox. Thanks for giving me a forum.
California houses more prisoners than any other state. I find that to be a problem. Maybe the "three strikes" law needs to be re-examined.

Other states that adopted Cali's "3 strikes" law have regretted it severely and are trying to overturn it. Massive overcrowding is a danger to the guards. People aren't supposed to live 4 to a cell. It's not normal and will make you crazy (if you haven't lost it already).

Old 05-09-2008, 03:22 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,032 times
At night in Southern California when a car jumps the curb on the freeway, they need three police cars for their own safety. Chances are good there was only one cop in each car if you were in a jurisdiction other than L.A. County Sheriff or L.A city police; hence three people not six. Why is anybody jumping the curb unless they are intoxicated, blind and in need of help or having a medical emergency? Missing an offramp is not a valid excuse.

Most police in circa 2008 in California have college degrees. And, the only reason a cop may make more than a teacher is because cops are paid overtime. Yes, they will get paid more as they are working overtime to get it. Teachers do not get paid overtime.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I find this to be true of government jobs all across America.

California houses more prisoners than any other state. I find that to be a problem. Maybe the "three strikes" law needs to be re-examined.

Other states that adopted Cali's "3 strikes" law have regretted it severely and are trying to overturn it. Massive overcrowding is a danger to the guards. People aren't supposed to live 4 to a cell. It's not normal and will make you crazy (if you haven't lost it already).
I'd rather have proven repeat offenders (who obviously can't or won't change their ways) going crazy 4 to a cell than roaming the streets.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
At night in Southern California when a car jumps the curb on the freeway, they need three police cars for their own safety. Chances are good there was only one cop in each car if you were in a jurisdiction other than L.A. County Sheriff or L.A city police; hence three people not six. Why is anybody jumping the curb unless they are intoxicated, blind and in need of help or having a medical emergency? Missing an offramp is not a valid excuse.

Most police in circa 2008 in California have college degrees. And, the only reason a cop may make more than a teacher is because cops are paid overtime. Yes, they will get paid more as they are working overtime to get it. Teachers do not get paid overtime.
I like that last part of what you said. Just because some large cities don't REQUIRE police to have a college degree, doesn't mean that they don't get one. Most at least have them if they are at a higher position.

They also earn that extra pay like said as well. Teachers have weekends and summer off. Police are out there all year and working extra hours to earn that pay.

I'm not a huge fan of police, but I usually feel the need to stick up for them anyway since I'm a firefighter. Police and fire do make more on the west coast than anywhere else, but they seem to work a lot of overtime. I hate when people tell me that my job is easy because I sit around and watch tv all day. Most departments you are working 9-5 with training, inspections, cleaning, maintenance, etc.

Also I know this is only an LA forum, where police and fire can easily make a living, but it's not like that most places. It would be my dream to work for the FDNY(NYC Fire). Starting salary is $30k. That's below the poverty level for your first two years.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The real criminals are doctors and lawyers? I guess I had better make sure my kids pick the right education, I don't want them to be criminals.
Holy cow! I had no idea I've been married to a criminal for 23 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles