Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2021, 07:12 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I still believe carrot is better than stick in this situation. Wasn't it Walmart that gave out some small bonus to their employees for showing proof of vaccination? If we truly cared about getting people their shots, we wouldn't be approaching this with a steamroller.
We tried the carrot. It didn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 08:56 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Also, since when do public entities offer bonuses? I mean, I guess some do in narrow circumstances, but just offering them suddenly for vaccination - sounds like a very new precedent and one some taxpayers would be mad about, especially re high-paid police.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:02 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Also, since when do public entities offer bonuses? I mean, I guess some do in narrow circumstances, but just offering them suddenly for vaccination - sounds like a very new precedent and one some taxpayers would be mad about, especially re high-paid police.
Hiring bonuses are pretty common for police offers. Some govts around the country have been offering bonuses to get vaccinated.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:25 AM

I hadn't heard anything about local governments offering vaccination bonuses, but any big regions? Los Angeles has a huge number of employees. I don't see it as practical financially, unless it were in the hundreds of dollars, which would hardly persuade anyone.

I am open to a hiring bonus (experienced candidates only) for any department that becomes badly understaffed, even eventually bonuses to employees let go for being unvaccinated who have then had a change of heart.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
No. I didn't say that.
I said:
So now, in order to respond to you I should have asked you to define 'wide spread'?

Old 11-02-2021, 12:32 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al...?ocid=msedgntp
There have been lower-profile versions of that in LAPD. I wonder what unvaccinated cops think of that. Is there just not much awareness beyond individual precincts?

Old 11-02-2021, 11:29 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
If thousands of LAPD and LACS officers walk off the job, who's going to fill in for them? Or is the plan to make L.A. like that Escape from L.A. movie?

Old 11-03-2021, 08:07 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
We tried the carrot. It didn't work.

When??? How??? The city originally didn't even want to give their workers a reasonable time frame to submit exemptions. It was stick from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

It doesn't have to be a monetary incentive. The point is, putting a boot on someone's neck to get them vaccinated isn't really working if X percentage of employees walk away from their jobs. In the end, those people still won't be vaccinated. It's called looking at this with a broader perspective in mind.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
When??? How??? The city originally didn't even want to give their workers a reasonable time frame to submit exemptions. It was stick from the beginning.

It doesn't have to be a monetary incentive. The point is, putting a boot on someone's neck to get them vaccinated isn't really working if X percentage of employees walk away from their jobs. In the end, those people still won't be vaccinated. It's called looking at this with a broader perspective in mind.
Huh? I have no idea what non-monetary incentives could be used.

The boot is there in part to kick people out. I've been saying for more than a month that part of the strategy is to purge bad apples. If LAPD loses just maybe 300 employees and most of them are extremists, renegades by nature, or fools, it's a major victory. The city has known for a long time that the police force has some elements that should be gotten rid of and here the union is nearly powerless to block that.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:34 AM

8 posts, read 3,170 times
Default Mind. Your. Own. Business.

Here's what I don't understand about Californians in large cities... mostly liberals. How did you start thinking, and at what age, that you get to dictate what other people do? Why is it your business? You're like to half-wits who tell police officers, "I pay your salary with my taxes!"

Here is a news flash for you. It's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS if someone doesn't want to get this vaccine. You're at risk of catching the flu from others, yet it's not mandated. Why is that? Because it wasn't convenient to politicize the flu. Don't want to catch something from a police officer? Don't commit a crime. Need an officer's help? Maybe YOU get vaccinated, if you're so nail-bitingly worried.

Stay in your lane. Mind your own business. If YOU want to get vaccinated, YOU get vaccinated.

Telling other people what to do in this country gets you flipped off, at best. At worst, it lands us in another civil war between those of us who believe in the civil liberties offered by this country and the power-hungry busy-bodies who feel the need to finger-point and shame those to whom they feel superior. And that's only because they're delusional. If you think you know better than someone else, you know nothing.

I know this is a difficult concept for you to grasp, but take care of you and yours. Mind your own business. Stop trying to dictate to others. And leave LAPD and LAFD alone, for goodness' sake. They'd help you, regardless. Why don't you dig deep and show a little reciprocity and support?! How much better off this town would be if people actually followed their virtue-signaling advice and tried to "be kind"... "Hate has no home here." HA! Yeah, I rambled. This peeves me. A lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles