Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:20 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,456 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of tolerance in LA, true. Most workplaces, you will find a majority of non-whites, a mixture of hispanic, asian, middle-eastern, black, pacific-islanders, probably outnumbering the white people, and working together.
Not really integrated, also true. They live in ethnic communities, have unique points of view, and sometimes a glimpse of hate or racism pops up. A lot of whites think they are superior, or entitled. A lot of hispanic and asians, think whites are spoiled, lazy and stupid. There is an undercurrent of tension. White people are realizing how they are outnumbered, but also being systematically displaced. Employers are looking to cut salaries, immigrants are looking to bring in friends and family and train them, and the Gov. provides job training. They were supposed to be picking fruit, not driving a Tahoe and cutting in front of you at Macy's.
Years ago, I lived in Colorado, and my experience was that hispanics were very genuinely nice, great people. Same out in Fillmore, where actual fruit-pickers live. In LA, a different vibe. It's probably more about local culture than race. I'm no Phd in social science, but I didn't see many of Phds on the bus downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
It's not so much racial hostility that separates people but class animosity. Rich whites tend to get along well with rich people of other races. The animosity increases as you go down the social ladder. Poorer people compete against each other for the same low paying jobs. Poor Hispanics are viewed by poor whites (and other races) as competitors for the same shrinking pie, so no wonder there is hostility directed towards Hispanic immigrants. Rich people probably are more tolerant of Hispanic immigrants in so far as the latter are a source of cheap labor for them to utilize in their businesses and homes.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:37 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,113,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
This has to be the worst decade ever.

Now I don't know or actually believe that all whites dislike blacks. I also don't believe that all blacks in L.A. are unemployed. I've seen some blacks in construction jobs, the police force, etc. I've alot of relationships between blacks and whites.
Who said Blacks were unemployed? I said we won't do menial jobs anymore (janitors, busboys, maids, etc.) My statements was not meant to apply to the population at large: It was a generalization. And believe me, the powers that be love cheap to free labor and resent the hell out of paying someone a decent, livable wage unless they happen to be one of them.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:50 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodC View Post
Wrong. Yes, our city's Hispanics will do menial, demeaning work for little or no money, but whites don't love them for it. The white population actually dislikes the Hispanic population even more because of this fact, due to the perception that "immigrants are stealing our jobs". Despite the fact that no white person actually wants to work in McDonalds or in the landscaping business, they still like to b*tch about it and use it as a case against Hispanic immigrants.
The poor Whites have the "stealing our jobs" mentality; wealthier Whites, like in Brentwood, etc. do not feel this way.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM

43 posts, read 399,154 times
In my opinion, the white and hispanic relationship is doing fine from what I can see. Even if there is the odd occurance racist occurance, this happens anywhere different races live together. With all this being said, there are very few white people where I live so I am only basing my opinion on what I have heard.
On the other hand, black-hispanic tension is getting more and more prevelent. There are many high profile cases of this, including many murders. Some of events that immediatly come to mind include: Locke High Race Riot, East Coast Crip & Florencia13 feud, the Cheryl Green murder, Black P Stones & 18th Street feud, as well as the Harbour Gateway shooting.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentral View Post
In my opinion, the white and hispanic relationship is doing fine from what I can see. Even if there is the odd occurance racist occurance, this happens anywhere different races live together. With all this being said, there are very few white people where I live so I am only basing my opinion on what I have heard.
On the other hand, black-hispanic tension is getting more and more prevelent. There are many high profile cases of this, including many murders. Some of events that immediatly come to mind include: Locke High Race Riot, East Coast Crip & Florencia13 feud, the Cheryl Green murder, Black P Stones & 18th Street feud, as well as the Harbour Gateway shooting.
I guess I could be glad that I didn't attend any LAUSD schools, but the LBUSD schools weren't that perfect either. At my old school, 80 percent of blacks and Hispanics got along and 20 percent didn't. I remember 3 years ago, one student died from racially-motivated gang violence. I think that was the only racially-motivated incident I've noticed.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:48 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
in terms of a larger generalization about white/brown relations... i dont think one could be made.

there really isnt that much of a mixing of these individuals. brown people stay in their hoods and white people stay in their hoods. they dont really mix in LA. not on any bus i been on. all the white people i see on the bus are old, and they always have a smile. no matter how brown or black the bus is. but large amounts dont mix. maybe the red line, but honestly if you see them interacting it will most likely be as a brown bag boy at whole foods, the sushi chef at some uppity japanese res. or something like that.

dont get me wrong, enough brown people have climbed tha ladder and work and live in upper middle class and upper class areas, but as long as they have money why should they care what others think about them? for the most part, brown and white people dont interact in a meaningful way (outside of a white teacher in LAUSD of course). they dont see eachother enough to have a problem or a beneficial exchange.

do some white people feel negatively towards browns? im sure there are some. but interaction is not on such a great scale that you can generalize or charachterize it.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:57 PM

174 posts, read 516,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
It's not so much racial hostility that separates people but class animosity. Rich whites tend to get along well with rich people of other races. The animosity increases as you go down the social ladder. Poorer people compete against each other for the same low paying jobs. Poor Hispanics are viewed by poor whites (and other races) as competitors for the same shrinking pie, so no wonder there is hostility directed towards Hispanic immigrants. Rich people probably are more tolerant of Hispanic immigrants in so far as the latter are a source of cheap labor for them to utilize in their businesses and homes.
I think this is probably the most insightful post in this thread. Tension in LA has much more to do with class than race or ethnicity. This is a tension that is NOT easing at all. As the economy continues to take a downward spiral due to the mortgage crisis and the price of fuel, you can expect to see relations between classes worsen as well. I don't mean to sound like an old fashioned Marxist, but the fact is that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer and these two phenomena are related to one another.

I know that where I teach high school, the Hispanic kids (they are all Hispanic) tend to identify with Hip-Hop and Gangster rap. They dress like what they see on music videos. They never refer to themselves as Chicanos (70s left-over), and they speak Black English. This is the new working class. On the other hand, Mexican culture has always been skin color sensitive. They almost have their own caste system going on without the introduction of African-Americans.

I think LA has a kind of "I don't care about you" culture that we mistake for tolerance. As long as people have what they need and possess the hope of obtaining things they want in the future, they don't care about what goes on outside of their own little circle of people. I think we need to beware of seething tension under the surface that could explode like the Rodney King riots as soon as hope is crushed.

Remember Oprah suddenly interviewing Blacks and Koreans as if the conflicts were brand new?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:25 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I may be alone with this, but I think it's amazing how well everyone gets along.

You could go to Beverly Hills or Century City. And there are tons of upperclass whites and professionals. Driving Mercedes, Bentleys, Ferrari's. Shoping in sick luxury. Sick crazy money for some people.

And then 15 minutes away, you go near downtown. Like Vermont, south of wilshire. Packed buses, streets in poor condition. Rundown, crowded. And it's like that everywhere. How many places have such a high concentrated mix of Harvard MBA's or Stanford lawyers next to people in great poverty.

I think it's incredibly good given the factors. In some cities around the world you have to live in armed gated communities if you have money.

But white, hispanic...white, black...white, armenian, everyone is pretty much accepted anywhere.

Same with smaller groups. Jews in Pico Roberston. Iranians/persians in Century City. Koreans in Koreatown. Armenians in glendale.

I don't think it'd be the same on the east coast. Alot of tolerance out here (recent gay marriage law).
I agree!!!

I also think there is more tension within the races than between them. California is a very tolerant state - we have such a mish mash of cultures and nationalities. I also agree with ndfmnlf about 'class animosity'. I think that post hit it right on.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
continuing on with what The One was saying relating to the OP's original question, the demographics of Latinos in LA are so vast (ie. nationality, income level, English fluency, amount of time in America, neighborhoods lived in, age, etc.) that it is very difficult to make any generlizations about the relations between Latinos and whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles