Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM

419 posts, read 1,450,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyZeus View Post
Install a stock exchange in L.A. We have one of the largest financial sectors in North America (I think we're number 5 or 6, after cities such as NYC, Toronto and Chicago) so being a financial center in the biggest state in the U.S. would make sense for the biggest city in the biggest state.
Been there, done that.
Pacific Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
I second the CCW permit. Right now, the only people carrying are thugs and thugs with badges (no offense to legit cops!!). If decent citizens get to carry, then criminals think twice about their next crime. It's a fact, jack.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 PM

23 posts, read 48,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
I guess I should say "re-install".

Old 10-29-2008, 02:13 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,301 times
Repeal Prop 13. Making all homeowners pay their fair share of property taxes based on the actual value of their home would give CA a huge boost in revenue. It would be an unpopular, controversial, difficult but equitable solution. The state can no longer afford this massive entitlement program. When it was initially passed, opponents warned it would contribute to the very scenario the state now finds itself in.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Repeal Prop 13. Making all homeowners pay their fair share of property taxes based on the actual value of their home would give CA a huge boost in revenue. It would be an unpopular, controversial, difficult but equitable solution. The state can no longer afford this massive entitlement program. When it was initially passed, opponents warned it would contribute to the very scenario the state now finds itself in.
I'm guessing you either:

A. Own no property of your own
B. Only recently purchased your property

Am I close? The State can't afford a lot of entitlement programs it is currently supporting. Let's start with the ones going to people who are here illegally to begin with, how about that?

If you start messing with people and their property tax, home values will plummet even further as even more native Californians jump ship. Home values are what property tax is based on!

I find it fascinating that people think they can solve budget problems by reaching into someone else's pockets for it. How about finding ways to stop the hemmorhaging and make do with the billions already coming in through effective finance management and auditing???

'The very scenario the state now finds itself in' could have been different if the WINDFALL California got from skyrocketing home values and sales (prop tax!!) in the last ten years, instead of blowing it all away like a crack head who stumbles across a bag of money in the alley, then maybe we wouldn't have been pinched for the budget now.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM

419 posts, read 1,450,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm guessing you either:

Am I close? The State can't afford a lot of entitlement programs it is currently supporting. Let's start with the ones going to people who are here illegally to begin with, how about that?

If you start messing with people and their property tax, home values will plummet even further as even more native Californians jump ship. Home values are what property tax is based on!

I find it fascinating that people think they can solve budget problems by reaching into someone else's pockets for it. How about finding ways to stop the hemmorhaging and make do with the billions already coming in through effective finance management and auditing???

'The very scenario the state now finds itself in' could have been different if the WINDFALL California got from skyrocketing home values and sales (prop tax!!) in the last ten years, instead of blowing it all away like a crack head who stumbles across a bag of money in the alley, then maybe we wouldn't have been pinched for the budget now.
Prop 13 is the homeowner version of rent control, plain and simple. It should be repealed. I consider myself conservative but at least am not looking at the world through rose-colored glasses -- you can't have it both ways (ie deride rent control policy then enjoy the benefits of essentially the same thing).

Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm guessing you either:

You've wasted a lot of hostility preaching to the wrong choir. I agree with you. I'm against all lifelong entitlement programs doled out on a blanket basis. Most people could swim if they weren't so busy demanding lifelines.

I thought Prop 13 was an inequity when I owned property in CA. And I'll think it's an inequity when I own property in CA again. If you're going to own a home, you should pay fair market taxes on it. It works for all the other states, and CA could use the revenue.

It's something of a moot point anyway, since declining prices will bring a lot of property values back in line with their tax payments. Buckle in. The ride's just beginning.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:39 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,640,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
Prop 13 is the homeowner version of rent control, plain and simple. It should be repealed. I consider myself conservative but at least am not looking at the world through rose-colored glasses -- you can't have it both ways (ie deride rent control policy then enjoy the benefits of essentially the same thing).
i disagree. rent control is an intrusion in the market relationship between a private lessor and lessee...a merchant and a customer, if you will, who should be allowed to decide for themselves the price of their exchange.

prop 13 is a limitation on the power of government to extract a higher tax from a property owner unless or until he does something to trigger a reassessment; it does not interfere with private market transactions. it means that people who wisely sit on their equity to supplement their retirement don't find themselves taxed out of their fully paid-off homes the next time there's a housing bubble.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,473 times
I would like to see all levels of Government and Citizens focus on:

Quality rather than Quantity.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:18 PM

133 posts, read 290,417 times
theres no fixing LA, it's screwed

Over populated
Crime
Pollution
Traffic

Everytime i have to drive through LA makes me want to move away more and more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles