Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHO WILL YOU VOTE FOR LA MAYOR?
Antonio Villaraigosa 14 30.43%
Walter Moore 23 50.00%
Other 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times

Advertisements

The point is that Reagan kept his personal faith personal. Religion never was brought up in elections before the evangelicals took over the GOP during Reagan's presidency though even papa Bush wasn't overly religious unless it helped him. Nixon had a deal with the "devil" to bring in Southern Dixiecrats into the GOP.

I think the Religious Right have been good and bad for the GOP [mostly bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 01:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The point is that Reagan kept his personal faith personal. Religion never was brought up in elections before the evangelicals took over the GOP during Reagan's presidency though even papa Bush wasn't overly religious unless it helped him.
Or more correctly, it hadn't been since the 1920s.

Quote:
Nixon had a deal with the "devil" to bring in Southern Dixiecrats into the GOP.

I think the Religious Right have been good and bad for the GOP [mostly bad
Also, the Religious Right has never been a strong force in CA state politics, so there would have been no reason for Reagan as governor to make alliances with them. Not to mention that religious conservatives in CA (outside of the San Joaquin Valley) tend to be Catholic rather than evangelical - and the Catholic Christian Right and the evangelical Christian Right haven't always worked well together until recently.

Reagan's flip-flop on abortion - and that of Pete Wilson during his ill fated pursuit of the GOP presidential nomination in 1996 - should also be mentioned.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Or more correctly, it hadn't been since the 1920s.

Also, the Religious Right has never been a strong force in CA state politics, so there would have been no reason for Reagan as governor to make alliances with them. Not to mention that religious conservatives in CA (outside of the San Joaquin Valley) tend to be Catholic rather than evangelical - and the Catholic Christian Right and the evangelical Christian Right haven't always worked well together until recently.

Reagan's flip-flop on abortion - and that of Pete Wilson during his ill fated pursuit of the GOP presidential nomination in 1996 - should also be mentioned.
I'm impressed with your knowledge [are you a history major?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM

23 posts, read 37,285 times
Quote:
The Legislature was majority Dem from 1958 to 1994. The other statewide offices were really split between both parties.
I would like to see your sources for this. As I remember, the majority was mostly held by Republicans until the early 70s.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that people shouldn't have voted for candidates other than Tony- they just should've given the other candidates besides Tony and Moore a look. As said earlier in the thread, if Tony had debated Moore than Moore would have probably gotten even fewer votes.
This is not fact. This is opinion, and obviously we disagree.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
I don't know if you live in Los Angeles but it is one reason why California is so Democratic. Because of the sheer number of voters, LA can sway the rest of the state toward liberal issues. It is noteworthy that Californians voted for tax increases again this month in spite of the economy & also approved funding for more rail construction. Current Republican thinking is way out of sync with California residents & in Los Angeles all geographic\ income\ ethnic groups vote overwhelmingly Democratic.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I don't know if you live in Los Angeles but it is one reason why California is so Democratic. Because of the sheer number of voters, LA can sway the rest of the state toward liberal issues. It is noteworthy that Californians voted for tax increases again this month in spite of the economy & also approved funding for more rail construction. Current Republican thinking is way out of sync with California residents & in Los Angeles all geographic\ income\ ethnic groups vote overwhelmingly Democratic.
Yes, I live in Los Angeles -- main residence over the last 30 + years in Hollywood Hills.

Los Angeles has about 4 million people, most of them are left leaning, and have been for quite some time. There are over 36 + million in the state. There are more democrats than republicans in the state. My only point is that things have shifted, and things will shift again.

I doubt that we will ever see a red state here, and I wouldn't want that either. But there are plenty of moderates out there in the state, in both parties that could swing the state back to more balance if the dems can't pull the state through the economic crisis. Not everyone registered to a particular party is an idealogue. In fact, idealogues are in the minority!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I would like to see your sources for this. As I remember, the majority was mostly held by Republicans until the early 70s.
Kevin Starr's "California: A History"

Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, I live in Los Angeles -- main residence over the last 30 + years in Hollywood Hills.

Los Angeles has about 4 million people, most of them are left leaning, and have been for quite some time. There are over 36 + million in the state. There are more democrats than republicans in the state. My only point is that things have shifted, and things will shift again.

I doubt that we will ever see a red state here, and I wouldn't want that either. But there are plenty of moderates out there in the state, in both parties that could swing the state back to more balance if the dems can't pull the state through the economic crisis. Not everyone registered to a particular party is an idealogue. In fact, idealogues are in the minority!
Good point & why I am anxious for Prop 11 to redraw voting districts away from gerrymandering. If the GOP returned to its libertarian roots many Californians would again vote Republican

Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
If there had been a debate, I don't think most of the Moore supporters would've gone for Tony. A handful might have, but most would've merely gone for another candidate as Moore's appeal was a "protest vote". The Moore supporters would've flocked to David "Zuma Dogg" Salzberg, Gordon Turner, Bruce Darian, Craig Rubin, or David Hernandez. I think Rubin would probably have been a better "protest candidate" than Moore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles