Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHO WILL YOU VOTE FOR LA MAYOR?
Antonio Villaraigosa 14 30.43%
Walter Moore 23 50.00%
Other 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 AM

23 posts, read 37,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I curious. All you people who will be voting for Moore, what has he done/said he will do to make you want him as LA Mayor? Im thinking that most of you know less about him than you do Villaraigosa but will vote for him MAINLY because you dont like Villaraigosa.

I still firmly believe that Moore wrote that Jamiels Law because he wanted the black support in his bid for Mayor. Had he known that he would NOT vote for mayor he would not have authored that. I think most of you (i.e., not ALL of you) are voting for him for the main purpose that you do not like Villaraigosa.
Why I'm voting for Moore.

Promises transparency in spending.

Promises to work full time.

Chief Bratton says he needs another 3000 police, Moore says he'll make it a priority to get them.

He does not support high density-- endless development. He has spoken out against special interests and downtown developers who contribute to the current machine. i.e. mayor and council.

I like his plan for dealing with heavy traffic and parking, as a quicker fix than the "subway to the sea" -- which isn't a bad idea, but will take eons, and cost money we don't have in the city coffers.

He is pro-gay rights, and pro-choice.(Not that he can do anything much as mayor about those things, but I like it anyway) He is now running as an independent, not as a Republican.

Finally, I don't think he wrote Jamiel's Law to garner the African-American vote, but even if that were true, Tony V openly panders to Hispanics, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's what politicians do; beg votes from the citizenry. What bothers me is when they pander to special interests, like developers to fatten their campaign budgets.

And if you wonder why I'm voting against Villaraigosa, see my post at the top of page 6.

Now what's your backing for the bloated budget, low work week incumbent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 6,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
The last person that will have my vote is Villaraigosa, He is the worst of the worst.
Amen! I cant stand that Moderator cut: guy!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-03-2009 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I curious. All you people who will be voting for Moore, what has he done/said he will do to make you want him as LA Mayor? Im thinking that most of you know less about him than you do Villaraigosa but will vote for him MAINLY because you dont like Villaraigosa.

I still firmly believe that Moore wrote that Jamiels Law because he wanted the black support in his bid for Mayor. Had he known that he would NOT vote for mayor he would not have authored that. I think most of you (i.e., not ALL of you) are voting for him for the main purpose that you do not like Villaraigosa.
No doubt. I was disgusted how that kid's murder and the parents' despair was pimped by that guy for his campaign. Disgusted.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
After doing research and actually emailing Walter Moore himself, I came to the conclusion that I wouldnt mind him being mayor of the city for a term. Is that going to happen? I doubt it. He has that "I want L.A. to be like it was in the 60's" mentality that is dying out in this city. He has a good plan to improve public transportation in the city. I agree that we need to stop housing development to decrease the unemployment rate and that this city needs to stop being a haven for immigrants but his childish campaign commercials arent doing him much good imo.

I travel around the city a lot and by that I mean, from the Valley to East L.A. to Venice and even South L.A. and throughout Villaraigozas term the city looks a lot better than it was a few years back but Im still not giving him my vote just yet.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
No doubt. I was disgusted how that kid's murder and the parents' despair was pimped by that guy for his campaign. Disgusted.
His parents (the Shaws) were fully behind that measure, and worked really hard to get it passed. They wanted to do something to make sure other parents didn't have to suffer what they suffered. You speak as if you thought they were idiots, and had no choice in the matter. The mayor and city council just didn't want to deal with it so they have trivialized the young man's death, and that's even more disgusting.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
After doing research and actually emailing Walter Moore himself, I came to the conclusion that I wouldnt mind him being mayor of the city for a term. Is that going to happen? I doubt it. He has that "I want L.A. to be like it was in the 60's" mentality that is dying out in this city. He has a good plan to improve public transportation in the city. I agree that we need to stop housing development to decrease the unemployment rate and that this city needs to stop being a haven for immigrants but his childish campaign commercials arent doing him much good imo.

I travel around the city a lot and by that I mean, from the Valley to East L.A. to Venice and even South L.A. and throughout Villaraigozas term the city looks a lot better than it was a few years back but Im still not giving him my vote just yet.
Yeah, I travel around to most of those places too, and the traffic is horrible. And I do not see what is better. There are more developments, lots of graffiti. Trees were just ripped out in Venice to make way for expensive metered parking.

I'm wondering when you will be able to make up your mind for mayor, as the polls close in about 4 hours.
I'm glad you did your research though.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
^^ Already did.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:59 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
City may look better from one perspective...tearing down older property for newer hi density development. But from a traffic standpoint, quality of life standpoint, the city has gone backwards.

20% of the citizens are on govt assistance.
Roads are not being maintained
Grafitti out of control
littering seems to be an accepted practice
blanket approval of hi-density development at the expense of traffic and quality of life.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Well...that explains how Villa got elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
That's what's sad that some Democrats voted ignorantly but stayed off the rolls of supporters. LA Times recently reported that the names of all of those who financed Prop 8 have experienced mockery & quickly dropped from the party circuit [Republicans forced to the surface for all to see

Thankfully, the attorney general will ask the state supreme court to over-rule Prop 8 this week.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
I must say that I admire anyone who can stay enthusiastic over voting. I wish we combined some of these elections on one date. Voter energy weakens with almost yearly elections.

And to remain Republican in LA is truly remarkable [seems pointless in local & state elections]. Other than Riordan, there hasn't been a Republican in office in 50 yrs but in the county there is Sheriff Baca & 2 of the county supervisors are GOP. Some Republican pockets near the county line in San Dimas\ Glendora & up in Antelope valley\ Palmdale area. Metro LA is deep Blue

Has Moore given his concession speech yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles