Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 09:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I have not left California. :-)
Ever?!?!?!?!?!?

Old 08-05-2016, 02:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
A total exaggeration of anything I said....as usual you given to hyperbole.
Would you care to address the second part of that post:

For example, neighborhoods such as Compton were, once upon a time ago, 100% White. So then, if everybody was a hardcore Grand Dragon Klansman Nazi Brownshirt Skinhead Stormfronter, how did Black people eventually move into the area? Would not the White racists have kept them out if racism was so prevalent as some people claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 03:19 PM

214 posts, read 214,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Would you care to address the second part of that post:

For example, neighborhoods such as Compton were, once upon a time ago, 100% White. So then, if everybody was a hardcore Grand Dragon Klansman Nazi Brownshirt Skinhead Stormfronter, how did Black people eventually move into the area? Would not the White racists have kept them out if racism was so prevalent as some people claim?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

Old 08-05-2016, 05:16 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
I skimmed thru that reference and basically has ZILCH to do with L.A. in the 1950-60 time period.

Watts was a south central thing back then slowly moving to Compton. I had a lot of business dealings with Grocery stores when in the Inventory Service trade.

EDIT: Forgot my main thought here. Reference to the Brown shirt...Nazi.....Klansman is a bunch of C***. It never existed those days in Calif in my knowledge considering I did business in Watts.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 08-05-2016 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Reference

Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I skimmed thru that reference and basically has ZILCH to do with L.A. in the 1950-60 time period.

Watts was a south central thing back then slowly moving to Compton. I had a lot of business dealings with Grocery stores when in the Inventory Service trade.

EDIT: Forgot my main thought here. Reference to the Brown shirt...Nazi.....Klansman is a bunch of C***. It never existed those days in Calif in my knowledge considering I did business in Watts.
You're telling me white flight has absolutely ZILCH to do with LA?

Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
Reading comprehension is not your best asset.

I read the reference you showed and it did not pertain to south Los Angeles but Africa and other countries.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_flight

Your move.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
wut. Are you confused about the terms white flight and black flight? Perhaps you have some reading to do.

Thread title: Tell me what L.A. was like back in the 1950's/1960's

From your the wiki article: Black flight is a term applied to the out-migration of African Americans from predominantly black or mixed inner-city areas in the United States to suburbs and outlying edge cities of newer home construction. Since the 2000 census, the number and proportion of black population has decreased in several major cities, including New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis and Washington, DC.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Reading comprehension is not your best asset.

I read the reference you showed and it did not pertain to south Los Angeles but Africa and other countries.
Yes. I am the one with reading comprehension issues when you can't even figure out how to internet.

Since you seem to be having such trouble let me show you where to click:

Here is one of the sources in the wikipedia article:

Avila, Eric (2005). Popular Culture in the Age of White Flight: Fear and Fantasy in Suburban Los Angeles. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 978-0-520-24811-3.

Here is an ENTIRE PARAGRAPH about an example of white flight in an LA suburb:

A secondary, non-geographic consequence of school desegregation and busing was "cultural" white flight: withdrawing white children from the mixed-race public school system and sending them to private schools unaffected by US federal integration laws. In 1970, when the United States District Court for the Central District of California ordered the Pasadena Unified School District desegregated, the proportion of white students (54%) reflected the school district's proportion of whites (53%). Once the federally ordered school desegregation began, whites who could afford private schools withdrew their children from the racially diverse Pasadena public school system. By 2004, Pasadena had 63 private schools educating some 33% of schoolchildren, while white students made up only 16% of the public school populace. The Pasadena Unified School District superintendent characterized public schools as "like the bogey-man" to whites. He implemented policies to attract white parents to the racially diverse Pasadena public school district.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
wut. Are you confused about the terms white flight and black flight? Perhaps you have some reading to do.

Thread title: Tell me what L.A. was like back in the 1950's/1960's

From your the wiki article: Black flight is a term applied to the out-migration of African Americans from predominantly black or mixed inner-city areas in the United States to suburbs and outlying edge cities of newer home construction. Since the 2000 census, the number and proportion of black population has decreased in several major cities, including New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis and Washington, DC.
The point is that it's not just one ethnicity of people who moves when their financial means change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles