Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM

38 posts, read 50,597 times

Advertisements

I guess overall when it boils down to it, whether or not LA is "magical" depends on the individual. It is to me because of the palm trees, the ocean, the history, the climate, the Hollywood Hills, hell, even the sign. But, on the other hand, I can see where all that may mean nothing to someone else.

So I guess the overall answer to this thread depends on whom you ask...According to me, absolutely, everyone is different. Moreover, I can also see where if you didn't appreciate any of the above about LA how it would be quite angering to pay for all the taxes and the extra cost of living associated with being there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599 View Post
Billboards and palm trees blow you away? If you're so impressed with billboards move to times square, If you're so in love with palm trees move to Florida.

I also saw palm trees when I lived in Texas and it never blew me away....,, but then again I don't understand how anyone can be blown away by a tree.

I've never met anyone who thought LA was magical. When I first moved to the states and had friends from oversees came over they usually thought it a let down.

Overall, I enjoyed LA but I have been to more attractive cities in this country.
Great post! And I don't really understand why a tourist would even want to come to LA for a vacation unless if you simply haven't seen it before. San Diego or Santa Barbara are much more beautiful, relaxing, cleaner places to visit for a tourist looking for a SoCal beach vacation.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
I have a question too. Everyone says that their commute is 2 hours. WTF? In bad traffic it took a little less than that to get from Disneyland to the Getty Center. Do people really commute that far?
Many do. A one hour commute each way (two hours round trip) is pretty normal here. And it's not always about being far. Traffic can be horrendous even for short distances at peak hours.

As for me, my commute is only about 25 minutes in the morning, but going home can take up to 45 minutes, especially on Fridays when it seems like everybody descends on the freeways at the exact same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
I guess overall when it boils down to it, whether or not LA is "magical" depends on the individual. It is to me because of the palm trees, the ocean, the history, the climate, the Hollywood Hills, hell, even the sign. But, on the other hand, I can see where all that may mean nothing to someone else.

So I guess the overall answer to this thread depends on whom you ask...According to me, absolutely, everyone is different.
Here, here. Well said. I think it's magical too, which is why I have chosen to live here. I also think that's why LA is perhaps the most seranaded city in history as many artists have paid tributre to the city in their songs because it is such a special and unique place.

You don't become the second largest U.S. city, the biggest tourist destination in the U.S., home to the largest millionaire population in the world and to a sizable billionaire population, and the city of choice for most artists, celebrities, and for so many new immigrants by mistake. There's a reason the city is a magnet for the rich, powerful and poor alike. And I don't think smog and traffic are the lure. LOL

Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
As I've said numerous times before: If you're coming to LA as a tourist, hire an Angeleno as a tour guide so that you're not underwhelmed after seeing Hollywood, a beach and Disneyland.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 PM

147 posts, read 383,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
You don't become the second largest U.S. city, the biggest tourist destination in the U.S., home to the largest millionaire population in the world and to a sizable billionaire population, and the city of choice for most artists, celebrities, and for so many new immigrants by mistake. There's a reason the city is a magnet for the rich, powerful and poor alike. And I don't think smog and traffic are the lure. LOL
Many a artist have also gotten the hell out of L.A. for the sake of their children.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
Many people who post here seem to be biased negatively by their necessesity to provide for children. Older people tend to love Southern California...so do the younger crowds. The common thread between the two is of course not having the needs of children to contend with (either yet, or any longer, as the case may have it.) So, decisions decisions. Where you choose to live should be part and parcel to your life's priorities.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 PM

96 posts, read 410,313 times
I moved to LA from England in the late 1980s. I came for a vacation at first. I was lying on the beach looking up at the convertibles driving along PCH, and thought, "Wow, I could so live here!". My little Triumph Spitfire didn't make the trip over, unfortunately, but I did think LA was magical at first. I never thought I'd want to live anywhere else, unless it was somewhere else in California.

You question was "does it ever go away". The answer for me at least is yes. After twenty years, the traffic and the bad air (if you drive on a freeway, it's all bad air...) along with the cost of living just got to me. We cashed out and moved to a pine forest in New Mexico. I never was much of a beach person in the end (when I found out how much sewage makes it to the ocean, I gave up going to the beach a long time ago...). And once you start living in LA, working hard, the beach becomes just something you do on "vacation".

I've lived in Ireland, England, California, and now New Mexico. Everywhere you go you find something to love and something to not love. It's all a balancing act, weighing the pros and cons. If you are a positive thinker, you can find things to love anywhere you live. If you're not, you'll always think the grass is greener. But sometimes the cons do outweigh the pros. I miss a few things about LA, but not as much as I thought. (I never stop missing my Spitfire though...)

By the way, the air in New Mexico is great. So is the sunshine...and they have palm trees...and lots of artists. And no traffic. And the people are so friendly. Love it so far.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 AM

241 posts, read 939,959 times
Not so sure but think part of reason Los Angeles can be magical is the amount of people being so many go and live in or around LA. For whatever reason lots and lots people want to live here hard to know maybe for someone who has never lived or born and raised in such a place it can be sort of magical. Not all areas can give certain feeling cause a lot of areas aren't so nice looking or like any other big city.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 AM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
I actually prefer to raise my children here than anywhere else. I swear teens raised here turn out much more well-rounded, safer, and know the value of a dollar than living in some cheap "safe" suburb in Texas where everyone is on drugs.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:11 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Great post! And I don't really understand why a tourist would even want to come to LA for a vacation unless if you simply haven't seen it before. San Diego or Santa Barbara are much more beautiful, relaxing, cleaner places to visit for a tourist looking for a SoCal beach vacation.
I agree with you completely about those places being more beautiful and more relaxing, but if a tourist is interested in nightlife and high-end shopping, L.A. is a better choice. And of course, there are lots of big events in L.A. that you wouldn't find in San Diego or Santa Barbara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles